Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I've been following this with interest. Firstly with regards to shock collars, pronged collar or anything else that IMO is barbaric, one thing that sticks in my throat is the fact the dogs cann't speak so they do not have a choice. Some human comes along...one that they trust...and stick these things on them.
I wonder what us humans would have to say if someone did that to us....we'd soon be telling them where to go, but a dog has to suffer it, and why because the leader of the pack says so........
IMO these are quick fix things, saves the handler having to do anything, quick shock or two and away the handler goes....very lazy in my opinion. Same goes for smacking, that always fasinates me, because then the dogs become nervous about going to the handler, in turn the handler gets more annoyed and usually (and I've witnessed this) hits the dog more,abit of a merry-go-round cycle.
I understand that you want to walk your dog on common land where sheep graze etc., but I walk on common land too regularly, my dogs walk free, AND I have never used shock collars they are trained verbally....no smacks either.
However if I had one that wouldn't walk across the land without the fear of worrying sheep, then I would put that one on a lead.
There are other places to walk your dog too, that goes for every place people live, try the parks if your dog walks well without a lead, there are no sheep there......or are you saying that your dog will worry anything besides sheep.
I think smacking and electric collars etc., give the feeling of power to some people.....me I'd sooner have my results because my dogs want to please and are happy doing so.
I have three dogs (one being 5 months old) and the satisfaction I feel by just saying 'no' 'wait' 'leave' and seeing them look lovingly at me and doing it.....is awesome.
People buying these things are what keep the manufactures going.............
Also I foster teenagers who have more problems than any dog I've ever met, and if I was in the newspaper, headlines reading 'she put a shock collar on this child/she smacked' I'm sure you'd be one of the first to say.........she should go to prison and rot in hell....disgusting etc etc IMO there is no difference.
couldn't agree more. Some dogs (like some children) take longer to reach ut the extra effort involved always reaps dividends in the end. I would rather a dog behaved because it wants to than because I made it...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Teddysmum View Post
Having been a dog trainer for many years, I think the best way of looking at this is how the mother would treat the pup. The mother will nip, growl and shove pups that are misbehaving.

I have always just shaken the scruff and made a low throaty growl sound to any dog that needs it. It is what would happen in nature and therefore they respond to it very well. It doesn't make them afraid or nervous of you. In fact quite the opposite. They respond very well and become very respectful. There is no need to resort to physical violence in any way of whatsoever. I'm not saying there is anything really wrong with a tapped backside but the people who really 'smack' are the ones who are losing control and not the dogs.

Dogs respect discipline. That is a fact. But there are two types of dog owners. The ones who treat their dogs like dogs and the ones who treat their dogs like children. Unfortunately there are two many of the latter. Being firm, in charge and in control will pay dividends in the long run and it can all be achieved without the use of violence.
Glad I'm not nuts then....my family look at me because I use 'LOW GROWLS' at Bruce when he needs it, he always comes running back and flops down all wiggley and 'Oh! sorry Mom' attitude, the Foster kids think I'm mad.....but it works doesn't Hun...as you say only what Mom would do. Gets a result everytime
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 09:08 AM
This is totally off topic so sorry...but I always do the puppy whining thing when young pups nip and playbite with me as it works everytime. I cry like a young pup would...(my neighbours know I'm mad)...
I had to stop it with Cosmo as from the word go he would howl, whole bottom lip thing going and everything bless him! I think he must have been realy upset at his litter mates playfighting! He's a sensitive soul my boy is!!! It's like he was crying with me! Bless his little cotton socks!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
This is totally off topic so sorry...but I always do the puppy whining thing when young pups nip and playbite with me as it works everytime. I cry like a young pup would...(my neighbours know I'm mad)...
I had to stop it with Cosmo as from the word go he would howl, whole bottom lip thing going and everything bless him! I think he must have been realy upset at his litter mates playfighting! He's a sensitive soul my boy is!!! It's like he was crying with me! Bless his little cotton socks!
Shows though that there are other ways of training.....nicely.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I think that the TZBCs do what I tell them (most of the time, anyway ) because they are fond of me, and not because they fear not to. If they decide to misbehave, then the command is repeated, with increasing forcefulness until the desired result is obtained. Instructions spoken in a "growly" voice tend to be followed faster, too.

Snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrri!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 05:24 PM
yes there are all manner of ways to train a dog
and I really love the fact that because I am not using shock collers or hitting the dog I actually have to think about my training and adapt it to my dog

In a new situation he looks to me to see if its something to play with or if he has to walk nice - if I say 'on you go' he is off like a shot to investigate
no fear of the new things like if he was randomly shocked

also in the response to 'are dogs bad' (cant rem who asked that)
No I dont believe they really are
they do what is most rewarding to them - or of course what removes unplesent things
someone may think if their dog growls and snaps at other dogs when on the lead that is 'bad' and they hit the dog or shock it
but you have to find out why the dog is snapping
it may be the case that the other dog is giving off agressive signs (often the most agressive one is the one stairing at the dog - not making the noise)
or it may be that your dog is scared of dogs like that cos of something you dont even remember in the past
it has found that if it snaps then the other dog goes away - so it is rewarded

if you punnish the dog you are not fixing its fear

Also how often do you see someone whos dog wont come back and they are shouting and balling that the dog is being naughty - and they are going to slap it when it comes back
for the dog it is far more rewarding to stay away from the crazy human who calls you back and then hits you when you get back!! (dog wont realise it is being hit for the 5 min that it didnt come back)
Of if they do something and it gets a positive reaction once - like if they steal your sock when you are going to work - you either laugh or chase the dog - what fun - thats worth doing again

cant thing of a single time when a dog is actually naughty - just that the handler does not understand why it is doing what it is doing
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
But yes I do change my tone of voice and have words to tell the dog that the thing it is doing is not the thing I want him to do (not that he is bad just that that is not what I want at the moment - he cant speak human so he will get it wrong if I am not clear)
he has to think about what he is doing and offers a different behaiviour - then voice goes happy again
Mcpherson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]Good god, talk about patronising. Would you like me to refer to you as Dear Master, perhaps?[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]

If you insist, though it's entirely unnecessary. Quite charming though.

[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]Do you, for one minute, think that when I request Molly to do or not to do something that I ask her in such a soft way? Like, for example, "Please, please Molly darling, don't touch the kitty cat, come and get your chewy wooey instead." I think not. [QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]

No, I don't. But try calling off several at once with your method. It doesn't work. I've seen cats torn in half because people were too worried about getting a nip. This has NOTHING to do with training. I work with the hunt; you can't remove pack mentality.

[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]Wherever you hit your dogs or have hit them in the past, whether it be around the ear (I think most of us got the hint that it was a turn of phrase) or any other part of the dogs anatomy really make no difference to me. To hit a dog anywhere when it is misbehaving is totally unacceptable, IMO. [QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]

Clearly not by various replies. I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it outside a family home environment. My only point really.

[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]Whether a top breeder agrees with giving a dog a "tap" as you call it, also makes no difference to me or alters my opinion, I would actually think less of that person if they felt that was acceptable, top breeder or not a top breeder.[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]

I was simply vindicating my point. Others clearly see my point of view and they know the terriers in question.

[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]I was at an agricultural show a couple of weeks ago where I met working JRTs. They were very well behaved and beautifully sociable around other people and dogs (there was a Companion Dog Show being held also). They certainly weren't in need of a slap. Perhaps you have or have had to resort to a smack because you fail to understand what makes the dogs tick, and use violence brought out by your frustration at being unable to stop misbehaviours in a more positive way. Do I have to make this part bold?[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]

My dogs have always been impeccably behaved around other dogs (outside breed) and humans. That is totally beside the point. Patronising again- perhaps I don't understand dogs? You clearly have a one to one intuitive relationship with yours. What makes a dog tick is a totally unique thing to the specific animal and entirely unattributable to a canine. What gives you the right to pass judgement on all based on a few JRTs and a Westie? I have pets and they bear no comparison to pack terriers. I'd never judge dogs across the board. All are different, though certain terrier breeds are notoriously difficult to control.

[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]You call us patronising, I would call you a Neanderthal, chauvinistic bully?[QUOTE=Westie_N;1365177]

Name calling and naive. Please point me towards the chauvinistic comments?

For a neanderthal I'd suggest my literacy is fairly plain. Perhaps you just disapprove of someone formulating a coherent argument that doesn't match your views?

Bully? For what? I have a sneaky suspicion I'm not the one name calling over the internet, smiler. Arrogant maybe, but perhaps a touch less "molly"coddled than your good self. I love my dogs, but I'm also a realist.

J.M.O.

Dearie.

xxx

(Apologies for the crap quoting skills; clearly not my strong point. Stick a collar on me and I may do better.)
Mcpherson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
(fox terrier x whippet - you don't get more working terrier than that!).
Please tell me you're joking.

Even if he works, which I'd doubt, I'd suggest it's unlikely he's a pack dog?

Sounds like a lovely cross though. Any photos?

Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mcpherson View Post

What makes a dog tick is a totally unique thing to the specific animal and entirely unattributable to a canine. What gives you the right to pass judgement on all based on a few JRTs and a Westie? I have pets and they bear no comparison to pack terriers.
Each is unique, yes, and yet you say :

I'd never judge dogs across the board. All are different, though certain terrier breeds are notoriously difficult to control.
So you are in fact judging dogs by breed and not as individuals.
What you wrote conflicts throughout, its full of contradictions...

Bully? For what? I have a sneaky suspicion I'm not the one name calling over the internet, smiler. Arrogant maybe, but perhaps a touch less "molly"coddled than your good self. I love my dogs, but I'm also a realist.

J.M.O.

Dearie.

xxx
Your attitude is arrogant, patronising, rude, and totally uncalled for. Its as though you despise people who are skilled enough to work/love/interact with their dogs without needing to use brute force or intimidation... perhaps your chip on the shoulder attitude is because you are not capable of matching them ?
[ yes other people can be patronising too ]

(Apologies for the crap quoting skills; clearly not my strong point. Stick a collar on me and I may do better.)
Its not your lack of quoting skills that a shock collar is warranted for `dearie`.
Page 17 of 64 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »