Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2006, 02:29 PM

Puppy off his food should I be worried?

My 11 week old Nova Scotia puppy is off his food, my OH went home at dinner time as he normally does to feed Loki and play with him, he seemed fine in himself, was eating normally and playfull as he normally is but wasnt interested in his dinner, this is extreamly unusual Loki is very food orientated, gets very excitable at meal times and always gulps his food down, often giving himself hiccups hes that greedy! I left him with a stuffed kong and a chew stick this morning which he was eating at I left, but he is generally left with some kind of treat filled toy to keep him occupied. He ate all his breakfast like normal this morning, I am really worried about him because it so out of character but surely if he was ill he wouldnt be himself in every other way? I had OH check his mouth incase there was some reason why he couldnt eat but there is nothing stuck or any cuts or anything that could stop him wanting to eat.

Any suggestions appreciated!
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah
My 11 week old Nova Scotia puppy is off his food, my OH went home at dinner time as he normally does to feed Loki and play with him, he seemed fine in himself, was eating normally and playfull as he normally is but wasnt interested in his dinner, this is extreamly unusual Loki is very food orientated, gets very excitable at meal times and always gulps his food down, often giving himself hiccups hes that greedy! I left him with a stuffed kong and a chew stick this morning which he was eating at I left, but he is generally left with some kind of treat filled toy to keep him occupied. He ate all his breakfast like normal this morning, I am really worried about him because it so out of character but surely if he was ill he wouldnt be himself in every other way? I had OH check his mouth incase there was some reason why he couldnt eat but there is nothing stuck or any cuts or anything that could stop him wanting to eat.

Any suggestions appreciated!
i wouldnt worry hannah, but if you want get the vet to look your pup over.
but we had this with draiman and leland, sometimes they are more bothered about playing and having fun rather than eat, you know yourself sometimes you just dont want your food you have off days
i wouldnt worry too much just keep an eye on him but if he was poorly he wouldnt have ate his breakfast.
Take Care
steph
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi Hannah if he ate his breakfast and seems lively I would not be too concerned particularly if you left a kong, he could just be full
I would watch that he is peeing and pooing ok (means no blockage everthing is getting through ) and see how he eats later.

If he does not eat for 24 hours I would see a vet. Also a word about chewsticks, it is wise to make sure they are not the sort that can have chunks bitten off that could choke your puppy.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanx steph, I worry too much about him I think especially when im at work and cant be there to see how he is for myself. I am counting the hours to four when OH goes back home he had to go back to work, I hate that theres no one there to watch him incase something is up!
I did wonder if its because im not there, sounds silly I know, but I was ill over the weekend and he got quite clingy to me, he does seem to if one of us is ill, but since I have gone back to work, when im home he crys when I leave the room, and OH was home ill yest and he cried for me whilst I was out. He doesnt cry for my OH only me even though OH spends more time with him really, so wondered if he was upset that OH was home and I wasnt and thats why he didnt eat or if im just reading too much into it
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi Hannah!
Try not to worry, I agree with what stensteph says.
Could it be that he is full still after his breakfast and treats???Do you cut down his feeds according to how many treats etc he's had?
What are his poos like?
I'd keep an eye on him, if he becomes quiet and lethargic and is sick or has the runs (can't spell the d word!!!!!) then get him checked out. Also make sure he's drinking as pups can become dehydrated quickly. He may wolf his tea down!!!!
Sounds to me like he was pleased to see your OH and more interested in him than his lunch, could also be that he was full!!!! Keep an eye and try not to worry (like thats soooo easy to do!)If in doubt, see the vet!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Hannah if he ate his breakfast and seems lively I would not be too concerned particularly if you left a kong, he could just be full
I would watch that he is peeing and pooing ok (means no blockage everthing is getting through ) and see how he eats later.

If he does not eat for 24 hours I would see a vet. Also a word about chewsticks, it is wise to make sure they are not the sort that can have chunks bitten off that could choke your puppy.
Was a soft puppy one not a proper chew stick should have been abit clearer he only gets hard ones when we are there to supervise
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
Hi Hannah!
Try not to worry, I agree with what stensteph says.
Could it be that he is full still after his breakfast and treats???Do you cut down his feeds according to how many treats etc he's had?
What are his poos like?
I'd keep an eye on him, if he becomes quiet and lethargic and is sick or has the runs (can't spell the d word!!!!!) then get him checked out. Also make sure he's drinking as pups can become dehydrated quickly. He may wolf his tea down!!!!
Sounds to me like he was pleased to see your OH and more interested in him than his lunch, could also be that he was full!!!! Keep an eye and try not to worry (like thats soooo easy to do!)If in doubt, see the vet!
Thanks I do take whatever treats he's had into consideration with his meals, his poos have been normal he had one this morning when he got up, and think he went when OH put him out at dinnertime, he drinks alot normally and OH said he was drinking normally. Will just keep an eye on him and if hes not right will take him to vets to be on the safe side!
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah
Thanx steph, I worry too much about him I think especially when im at work and cant be there to see how he is for myself. I am counting the hours to four when OH goes back home he had to go back to work, I hate that theres no one there to watch him incase something is up!
I did wonder if its because im not there, sounds silly I know, but I was ill over the weekend and he got quite clingy to me, he does seem to if one of us is ill, but since I have gone back to work, when im home he crys when I leave the room, and OH was home ill yest and he cried for me whilst I was out. He doesnt cry for my OH only me even though OH spends more time with him really, so wondered if he was upset that OH was home and I wasnt and thats why he didnt eat or if im just reading too much into it

lol dont worry, i am at home with mine 24/7 apart from when we go out and i worry too.
When we first got draiman i use to worry about everything lol when he was castrated i was worried sick and he was crying and couldnt settle and it was 2am in the morning and i made ste* O/h* pay £110 at the emergancy vets lol to be told nothing was wrong and he was ok lol so its all part and parcel of having doggies hehehe
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2006, 03:24 PM
hope he's okay...bet you get home and he's fine!!! Let us know!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
hope he's okay...bet you get home and he's fine!!! Let us know!
I hope so! Will do!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >