View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Is my older puppy jealous of the youger one?

How do you stop the older one from getting jealous?

Archie seems a bit miffed today with all of us except the pup.... when you ask for a kiss he turns his head away. Is he upset at us because of the pup? We have been careful to give him loads of attention but he doesn't seem to want it, just wants to play with Ziggy all day
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2005, 07:15 PM
We never really had a problem with jealousy between Star and Finn.

The only thing we did incase she got jealous was we kept taking Star out and spends loads of time with her on her own.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 07:38 PM
spend quality time each day with Archie, just one on one.
(Archie's not used to having his attention shared, plus he will be reaffirming to little ziggy that he is the boss).

I'm sure you will find that everything will settle down.

(a friend of mine had same prob with the newbie dog pinching the older dogs toys. she was advised to crate the new dog for an hour each day, just to give my friend time to spend alone with older dog).
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys

I've tried to spend time in my room with Archie on his own, but he just sits by the door wanting to play with Ziggy

They will be walked separately though as I don't think the little one can handle Archie's long walks

Archie just doesn't seem to want to play with anyone at all except Ziggy now It's like he doesn't like us anymore LOL
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Tuti dogs are very much creatures of habit and little changes to routine and circumstances can affect them.

Archie and Ziggie need to find their own places in the order of your household, and I think the best way to achieve this is when they are together leave them alone to get on with it for a week or so to give things a chance to settle.

However one thing is very important and that is the training of Ziggy and the continuing training of Archie, you must of course do this seperately and allocate some play/fun time to each of them. You are in an ideal position having yourself and Gigi there to do this and it should all work out very well as Archie will have a friend for company when he is on his own
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey

It doesn't sound is if Archie is jealous to me, sounds like he is just very happy to have a playmate!...After all he doesn't know that Ziggy isn't going to be leaving again soon so to me it seems he is making the most of him...Once he realises Ziggy is long term and he can play when ever he likes, he will find time for you humans once again...lol
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 08:35 PM
When we got Snorri-dog and brought him home, Kali's attitude (as previous so, and slam the door in Kali's facele resident) was one of curiosity. The second day, it was "Excuse me, but why is HE still here? No, I don't want to play with him, thank you." There was no aggro at all. Being the new pup, Snorri did tend to vacuum up most of the attention (training, cleaning, organisation), but Kali didn't seem to mind.

A bit later, if I took both out for a walk, Kali would push Snorri into the ditches, and walk off, looking like he was rubbing his hands together "That's taken care of HIM - let's get on with the walk!".

Nowadays, it's Snorri who is the jealous one. Start a "bonding session" with Kali, and Snorri will just barge his way to the front, and take over if he can. We have a reinforced glass panel in the front door: if Kali is out, Snorri will lie in ambush behind it and jump up to slam the door in Kali's face when he tries to come back in. Then, they bark furiously at each other through the glass panel. In summer, we have to wedge the door open!

Kali used to snap at Snorri (maintaining his place as senior dog?), because Snorri would pull his tail when there was a queue at the door to get out!

With Kali now 11.5 and Snorri now 7+, I think I am beginning to see the "transfer of power" between the two of them. I'm not going to interfere, unless there's violence involved. I think they are quite fond of each other, really, and that Snorri will not be happy being the "only dog", as, one day, he will be

Snorri
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi Mini Thanks for the advice They are together a lot and at the moment are chasing each other madly round my room sounding like a herd of elephants

We will definitely continue Archie's training And Ziggie seems to be a clever boy... he already knows to sit for treats!

Mys thanks Maybe it's me that's jealous?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
Mys thanks Maybe it's me that's jealous?
Umm, I think so!!

Just think how you were when having sleep overs...Did you wanna hang out with your mum or play with your mates??

Having Ziggy round must be such a novelty for little Archie right now, it will take a day or three! for things to settle down...Sounds like Archie is having a great time!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Yep you're right mys Archie is having a ball

Snorri your boys are so funny! Such characters LOL Hope the transfer of power goes smoothly
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >