Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 01:07 PM

So sick of the "oooh baby's coming let's ditch the pets" mentality

Mainly on another forum - there seems to have been a barrage of it lately and it's got ridiculous... "I'm 5 weeks pregnant - I have to get rid of my dog/cat because it might maul my baby/sleep on it".

NO attempt at planning things constructively and safely, no attempt at pre-empting and resolving any issues... just a straightforward "my companion is no longer new and shiny - dump dump dump." No giving the poor animal a chance - just throw it away on the scrapheap the second they get a better offer. Hell, I admit - I got the dog partially as a baby distraction (trying to think of a better term than substitute because he's not)... but if a miracle did happen (hah hah) - there's no way I'd be ditching him - hell, even in my medical state I make sure he's trained to walk on a lead sensibly, wait before crossing roads - just in case I had to manage him with a child.

Just getting me down a bit at the moment. I just want to slap these people and lay into them about how animals aren't disposable and they're not all rabidly rubbing their paws together with glee on an evening plotting baby assassination attempts. Really biting my tongue with a few people at the moment.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree with you. Poor pets! My mum had rescue GSD's through her pregnancy and once I was born/growing up. A few problems along the way (one of ours had food agression when he first arrived) but with measures put in place like baby gates, I happily slotted in with the dog (seeing as the dog was there first!) and family lifestyle.

It makes me really upset to hear of people getting rid of pets "just because what if...".
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I dont like it .
But never been in that postion .
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Discusting.

I heard it so many times through akita rescue, I even have friends who have fallen out with family members over it.

I would never considering getting rid of my dogs because a new baby came along, I would work SO hard, for SO long to ensure it worked. If I had a dog I didn't think would get on with a baby, I'd delay having a baby. I haven't got a baby, so can't preach too much but this is how I feel.

Luckily I own a wonderful breed who are fabulous with their babies, (contrary to popular media belief ) a breed which used to be used in japan, left to babysit the babies of the family.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
I like the comment. "I happily slotted in with the dog"

My brother expected me to lock the dog in another room when he visited. I did but, went with her. She was there 1st and I am not exactly child friendly.
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I had my dog before my babies. A long time ago now but at no time did I ever consider rehoming my Nicky I loved him he was part of our family and I think children need to grow up around animals.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I think kids have much more respect and understanding when they are allowed to grow up around animals. Teaches many kids I know to be responsible....Though it seems more common that children as young as 6 are allowed to walk dogs of any size by themselves!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I was delighted when I became first time pregnant... because I could get a dog! This was back in the days when you knew you`d be at home for 5 years looking after the sprog.
So I got myself a German Shepherd. And she kept me sane and fit through the early years and kept me company afterwards.
These silly women don`t know what they`re missing.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I think this is just a stupid way of dealing with things, its almost like laziness IMO, they cant be bothered to work with the dog to accept a child so easiest thing to do is get rid.
I must admit with my 3 dogs, if and when I have children it will be difficult, I know that for sure, but this is one reason we have the dogs/puppies now so they are older and more managable when and if kids arrive.
I would never get rid of one of my pets on the off chance there might be a problem.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I really think its that people cant be botherd to work with animals that they are so quick to give them away When my mum had my younger sister there was no thought of giving up the dog, he was part of the family.

On a lighter note I saw this the other day, a much better way to do things

'MUST RE-HOME due to new addition to family. After two long years of being on a waiting list for a special German Shepherd dog, we have been notified by the breeder that, at long last, our number has come up and WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!!!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children this weekend!

They are described as:
One male - His name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition! He doesn't bite, is temperament tested, does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had Chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained & gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.

One female - Her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix),strawberry blonde hair, green eyes quite freckled. Two years old. She can be surly at times, is a non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy & can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls & little boys but does not like to share her toys and therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training - shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them; that is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy.

I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here!!! They MUST be placed in rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >