New Member!
Female 

11-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Help With Dogs Fighting

Hi, I need some help with my dogs, I three male dogs,

Ben - Neutered medium sized crossbreed around 12yrs old
Kenzi - Entire medium sized crossbreed around 5yrs old
Tyler - Entire American bulldog x Doberman, 20months

Kenzi and Tyler had a serious fight which was started over food, We managed to split them up and let them calm down before letting them together again and everything seemed to be fine but after a while they started to fight for what seemed to us for no reason. We have started keeping them seperate using crates which we once made a mistake switching them and Kenzi got in before Tyler was in the cage and Tyler attacked him on sight. Theyboth get on great with Ben, I have been told to get them both neutered by various people and have also been told to only get the less dominant one neutered, So I am confused as to what is the best option. I know neutering will most likely not solve my problem all together but may be a good first step. I have emailed a few behaviourists and trainers for advice but have had no replys and can't afford to actually have out come out.

Do you think neutering both or just the less dominant one is best ?
What is the best way to go once I have them neutered ?
Also does anybody else know of anyone who have had this problem and got the dogs living together peacefully again ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Because you have a young dog, relationships will be changing all the time, so it`s not as simple as deciding which will be boss IMO. Neutering will take up to 6 months to take full effect anyway.
A couple of things that might help - More training, and a good exercise routine. And working individually with the dogs so they look to you for a lead. Time Out is a good one when they get over-excited.
Crating them (I assume they are locked in?) is not a good solution for aggression as the dog will become bored and frustrated.
If you get a behaviourist ( and it would be useful to have someone observe because they will probably be able to see what the triggers are) please be careful they are qualified (APDT or APBC) as I know some who are worse than useless.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Jade with regard to neutering the general rule was to neuter the least 'dominant' of two dogs thereby increasing the distance between the two but there is as far as I know no proof positive that this will works and it really isn't that simple. .

I would not even be sure that one is more 'dominant' than the other anyway . If there has been a fight and one is now fearful and wary of the other, this dog in an attempt to defend itself might try to 'get in first' so to speak .

The best course of action would be to get a good behaviourist to come and see them together to asses their body language and to advise you (by good behaviourists I mean one belonging to a recognised body like the APBC ).

Other than that I can only suggest you keep the dogs apart and this also means trying to avoid eye contact between the two.

Agree with Claire re the crates and excercise/mental stimulation.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi,

Sounds like a real nightmare, I think the fact that you have two large males fighting then you should definetly get one of them neutured - I think I would be inclined to do the younger one, he is reaching sexual maturity and is testing his boundaries IMO.

I am not sure if its the right way to go but I would get him neutered as he is the one starting the fights too. Kenzi has previously lived fine with Ben with no issue, so it does sound to me like Tyler is the problem one.

however I am no behaviourist or vet so its just my opinion and you will probably get a few different ones here !! LOL
jade_436743
New Member!
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi thanks for the replys. I would not be able to let a behaviourist see what triggers the fights or how the dogs interact as im unable to let them be free together as it would be to dangerous for them and us. So not sure how the behaviourist would work with them.
Im not sure who is more dominant as I think originally when it was due to food it was Kenzi starting the fights then Tyler will now start the fight as soon as he sees Kenzi, Also Tyler growls at Kenzi through the cage when he's in there and Kenzi will hide behind the sofa, I dont its fair to both the dogs living like this so would really like to sort it out as I really don't want it to come to having to rehome one. I think I may get Tyler neutered anyway due to him showing some dominance with people but am unsure as to get Kenzi neutered too.

Btw what does IMO mean ?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
You must be so stressed!! I know what its like living with dog fighting (thankfully we got past that but different situation) But having big powerful dogs fighting must be so horrible

I really really would save up for a behaviourist - are your dogs insured?? It might be covered on that
A visit to the vets is a good idea too just to make sure there are no other problems

A behaviourist should be able to help even without actually seeing your dogs fight
There could be a number of triggers causing it, and often its not the dog you think that is the agressor

I hope you get this sorted, but you need help with someone who can see you

In the mean time I would do as much as you can to keep them calm, can you move the crate to another room to make sure one isnt intimidating the other when its its time out of the crate

Try and make the other dog being about be the cue for good stuff to happen, like (If you have someone to help you) walking them onlead together - so they cannot get at each other but so they get used to having the other around when they are calm and having fun
Also I found treating them together to help if its food motivated - obviously having people help hold them just incase
Just having them sitting in the same room and rewarding them for it

How do you feel Tylor is showing dominance to people??
jade_436743
New Member!
Female 

11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
None of the dogs are insured.
I brought some muzzles for the dogs thinking I could try and see if I can get them walking together but have not attempted yet as I'm not completely sure how to go about it.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
How do you feel Tylor is showing dominance to people??
He doesn't like us moving him of the sofa though he has never went for us he has growled which worries me and he trys to stand over me when I'm sitting on the sofa.

Also somtimes still toilets like a puppy ,And my mum has a bitch who was in season recently came around, Kenzi was in the cage and I thought I would have to remove Tyler aswell but he showed no interest in her. Does this mean he is not fully matured ?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi, I definitely agree that you need expert help.

in the meantime, please don't let your mum's dog come round again while she is in season...it is possible that Tyler just wasn't interested because she wasn't quite at the right stage, but you could really badly increase the tension between your dogs if you introduce something else 'high value' to fight over.

I'm guessing that because you don't know the exact ages of two of your dogs they may be rescues? If so, the rescue might be able to help with behaviour advice.

Battersea dogs home also have a behaviour advice line. the help they can give over the phone/by email will be limited but may be a start.

http://www.battersea.org.uk/help_adv...r_advice_line/

"How to contact the Behaviour Advice Line
If your dog or cat is displaying behaviour problems, it is advisable to seek help as soon as possible as the longer the behaviour is practised, the harder it will be to stop.

Phone 0905 020 0222

Calls cost 25p per minute from a BT landline, other networks may vary. Lines are open from 12pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday with messages taken at other times. Or email us

To start the process online you can complete either a Dog questionnaire or a Cat questionnaire and then email it to us. A Behaviour Advisor will then contact you to discuss your pet's problem behaviour in greater detail. "
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by jade_436743 View Post
None of the dogs are insured.
I brought some muzzles for the dogs thinking I could try and see if I can get them walking together but have not attempted yet as I'm not completely sure how to go about it.

He doesn't like us moving him of the sofa though he has never went for us he has growled which worries me and he trys to stand over me when I'm sitting on the sofa.

Also somtimes still toilets like a puppy ,And my mum has a bitch who was in season recently came around, Kenzi was in the cage and I thought I would have to remove Tyler aswell but he showed no interest in her. Does this mean he is not fully matured ?
You are right to be concerned with him growling when you try and move him, growling is a warning and if you do not deal with things correctly then it COULD get worse
But this is not dominance this is a training issue
People have lots of theories about dogs standing over other dogs or people, and in reality we cant know what is going on in their head but watching Ben and Mia when this happens between them I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with dominance
Mia often does this to Ben when he is lying down and she wants to play, sometimes he totaly ignores her, sometimes he moves slightly - and she kind of moves round a little so she is more in his face, occasionaly he plays with her but more often than not she gives up and walks away
I am pretty sure it is just attention seeking

Do you / have you gone to any training classes with them?? I totaly recomend a positive trainer (look at APDT's) who can show you fun rewarding ways to train your dog to happily work with you

I would still head to the vets with them to get a once over just to make sure
I wouldnt bring any different dogs in just now espech not bitches in heat. His reaction - or lack of it - dosent really mean a whole lot at all, some dogs are never interested, he might not be quite old enough or whatever, but that dosent have anything to do with the issues you are having just now

By the sounds of it you have a teenager who is full of hormones going crazy (which neutering wont ness be a magic cure for)
Teenagers can be difficult for you and for your other dogs to live with, if you get the right help you will poss be able to sort things out
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 06:59 PM
You are not going to like what I have to say but IMO you have taken on too much dog with Tyler----you need expert help fast, before it is too late and a forum is not the p[lace for it.

No one can see what is happening via the net and that is what you need. Even if you can't mix the dogs they can be worked with seperately.

You need to invest a lot of time in training and I would also use a trail lead with Tyler and don't get into confrontational situations with him. A growl is a warning, a bite comes next.

Good luck

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >