Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 07:58 PM

My failing bladder :-(

Anyone else having problems like me? Every single night I have to get up for a pee. It's usually around the 3am mark. Then when Lennon wakes me at 0545, I could quite easily ignore him for half an hour, but my flaming bladder won't let me. I try not to drink very much in the evening - I just make one average sized glass of squash and very rarely drink more than half of it.

This situation is really getting on my nerves. Sometimes, I can't go back to sleep at all, especially if there's something on my mind.

Apart from not drinking anything after 3pm, and there's no guarantee that that would work anyway, or turning the clock back 20 years, does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get a full night's sleep with no pee-break?
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
yep..I used to suffer from this on a regular basis....still do sometimes, but some one told me to take 2 teaspoons of honey before bed and it worked a treat
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2005, 10:03 PM
What you get to sleep untill 3am before you need to go pee?? Wish i was as lucky, i have been up at least twice by then. Well i surpose I do have an excuse with being pregnant LOL but i know what you mean its a total pain, cant remember the last time i slept right through. Cant offer any advise sorry.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Isnt caffeine (sp) a bad thing for the bladder before bed and squash has it doesnt it? Just what I've heard and may be of no help whatsoever.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Vicky restricting you fluid intake can actually make the problem worse, what you are doing is making the urine more concentrated and this in turn can irritate the bladder making you wish to go more frequently. So it is best to drink but avoid tea/coffee /chocolate which all contain caffeine which is a diuretic,instead choose instead water/barlywater/water with a little honey and a squeeze of lemon/warm milk with a little honey.
When we are deeply asleep our urge to urinate is suppressed, so perhaps you are not sleeping well/deeply in the first place and there are things you can try to improve your sleep .
Take exercise so you are physically tired,
Make sure you are not too hot or cold and that the room is ventilated,
Have a warm bath,
Read a book in bed,
Listen to relaxing music,
Put a little oil of lavender on a tissue by your pillow.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 10:46 PM
lol, welcome to my world.at my age, its not just the 3 am pee, its crossing your legs when you sneeze too lol.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 11:43 PM
There is some medication your GP could give you to make your urine more concentrated therefore you won't need to pee as often in the night. With most people their body concentrates the urine over night automatically, so you don't have to go as often during the night. However with some people the body is unable to do this, you could be one of those people.

I would agree with Mini too, restricting fluids can do the opposite as your bladder will decrease in size meaning you have to go more often during the night.

Go to your doctors if it's really bothering you, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Good luck x
Meg
Supervisor

06-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by sutty
lol, welcome to my world.at my age, its not just the 3 am pee, its crossing your legs when you sneeze too lol.
lol Sutty been there passed that stage ...
...and got bored with doing the bladder retention excercises that are similar to the pelvic floor ones one does after pregnancy..
I have to tell you all when you get to 50 its all downhill from there
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
lol Sutty been there passed that stage ...
...and got bored with doing the bladder retention excercises that are similar to the pelvic floor ones one does after pregnancy..
I have to tell you all when you get to 50 its all downhill from there

I thought it was 40! - don't even think I even have a pelvic floor any longer
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Oh how I sympathise. What with getting up for pees, itching problems and now kidney problems I have forgot what a good nights sleep is.

I have even told my OH I want a catheter fitted.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »