View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Settagirl, I did. I don't want my dogs registered anywhere in someone elses name.

But this is another area where the BBC's action might hit the pockets of the KC hard. I'm quite sure many people will refuse to do this out of protest - especially if their attention is drawn to it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
As I have already explained...

I'll try and make it clearer using my particular breed of dog as an example.

I have explained that the KC, the Beagle breed club and beagle breeders have all assured me that there are no required OR recommended health tests for the Beagle breed. When we took our first pup to the vets for a checkup the vet mentioned that the Beagle is one of the few breeds that they don't see problems with.

Some people in this discussion seem to think otherwise and believe that Beagles should be screened.

There are two possibilities.

1. The KC, breed club, breeders and my vet are correct and there is no need for health screening in the Beagle breed

OR

2. It's a big cover up on the part of the KC, breed club, breeders and even my vet and you guys are right. Beagle SHOULD be health screened.

**IF** the latter is true, then the KC is failing to do it's job and the breed clubs and breeders clearly can't be trusted to do the right thing of their own accord. In which case if the BBC, Dogs Trust, Pedigree Chum and all the others pulling out of Crufts out of protest raise public awareness of the problem the truth is likely to come out. People will start to come forward and say "well my dog has X problem or Y problem". The day will come when the KC, breed club and breeders simply can't get away with lying about the health of the breed.

And when that day comes people will readily embrace a new governing body. One that is not afraid to insist upon health tests that are unpopular with breed clubs and breeders. One that is not afraid to boot out anyone that doesn't follow the rules to the letter.

I hope that's clearer!

I bought from a breeder who performed all recommended screening of her breeding stock (who happened to be the chairperson of the breed club).

There are no health tests required or recommended for Beagles by either the kennel club or the Beagle breed club.

As I have made clear, IF it is the case that the breed clubs, breeders and KC are putting the beagle breed at risk by failing to recommend health screening then it is a problem that needs to be corrected urgently. If the KC fail to take action then the general public will do as borderdawn suggested and start refusing to buy KC registered dogs. This would leave an opening for a new governing body that would refuse to recognise any breed that was not healthy or any breeder that did not have a proven track record of producing healthy pups.

As I explained earlier...

But I think your point is valid. If the KC refuse to take action against the 'bad' breeders and if groups like the BBC, Dogs Trust, Pedigree Chum etc continue to dissassociate themselves with crufts then public awareness will be raised to the point where the general public do start to penalise excellent breeders simply on the grounds of their association with the KC.

At this point in time KC regsitration means nothing. If things continue the way they are I will probably start to see it as a negative thing. I could well begin to boycott KC regsitered breeders. Certainly if a new group was formed that would refuse to recognise any breed that was not healthy or any breeder that did not have a proven track record of producing healthy pups then I would favour breeders that belonged to that group over KC registered breeders.
You dont hear do you. Pedigree have NOT disassociated themselves with Crufts because of anything to do with the program full stop!

Pedigree had too much competition, from the likes of James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin, they couldnt compete with the breeders anymore, so they took their trade to the supermarket and hey presto, up popped the "pedigree adoption drive" its got absolutely NOTHING to do with the BBC program, it was convienient though and many like yourself wrongly assume it was because of the program thinking they were concerned for the welfare of dogs, when in fact they saw it as an opportunity to further their product,they are targeting the pet industry, but not to be left out, they BOUGHT Royal canin AND James Wellbeloved, so to say they are not there is a bit of a lie really as RC and JWB are BOTH Mars compaines!! If they genuinely wanted to oppose the KC stance on the basis of that program they would of pulled out ALL of their companies, not just the struggling one, get it???

You seem reluctant to answer questions about the health status of your dogs's parents, were they tested or not/ Did your research find responsible breeders wanting to do right by the breed?

Edited to add, Mars (pedigree) also own Nutro, not pulling that out of Crufts either!!!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Settagirl, I did. I don't want my dogs registered anywhere in someone elses name.

But this is another area where the BBC's action might hit the pockets of the KC hard. I'm quite sure many people will refuse to do this out of protest - especially if their attention is drawn to it.
Think that may be wishful thinking on your part...most people who do not change over the ownership of their dogs will have no protest on their minds.. it will more than likely be as simple as forgetting or not bothering.. as many many people already do..

You talk of a new governing body as if it will be an uprising

Tell me, how is this new Pedigree pet dog breeders. organization going to achieve the impossible , such as insisting on mandatory compulsory health tests on all dogs of all breeds...

When it has already proven impossible to implicate by the KC/breed clubs, you forget it does not matter how many rules, regulations are set up... the whole point is that is it volentory as yet there is no law that controls the breeding of dogs...and until there is, your new idealistic club wont get of the ground.

So with the best will in the world, you new "ethical" group, will fall fowl to the same massive big holes in the system that the KC and breed clubs do.....

People will do as they please, and those who dont wish to health screen their dogs, have no law to stop the..kicking them out of your wonderful new club, will do as it does now....send them into the world of BYB`s.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Scarter ...found this for you, it took all of 5 mins , as you seem to have had no success in your search on health in the Beagle... though tyou may like to read this.

Taken from the beagle association website

Beagle Health
Updated Information - November 2008

Beagles are a generally health breed, according the Kennel Club Breed Survey they have a
higher than average life span.

*There are three main health conditions that have been reported to the Beagle Health Co-ordinator in recent years.*

Hip Dysplasia.
Canine Epilepsy.
Steroid Responsive Meningitis (SRM) colloquially known as Beagle Pain Syndrome and Stiff Beagle Disease

These are not unique to Beagles. You many find mention of other conditions in Beagles but these are very much
less common in the UK or have been reported in Beagles used and bred especially for Laboratory Experiments.
For information on (SRM) please contact the secretary :
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I'll accept your version as to why Pedigree Chum have pulled out of Crufts.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn
You seem reluctant to answer questions about the health status of your dogs's parents, were they tested or not/ Did your research find responsible breeders wanting to do right by the breed?
I will paraphrase what I have already said umpteen times on this thread.

1. Yes. As I've said many times, my personal research has lead me to believe that the breeders of both my dogs are excellent, responsible breeders and we are delighted with both of our dogs.

2. Both breeders performed ALL of the health tests required by the KC and the breed club. As did the breeder of the father of both pups.

3. My personal research has not uncovered any information that leads me to believe that the KC and the breed club are reporting inaccurately on the need or even recommendation for health testing of breeding stock.

But of course, after seeing the recent BBC documentary, and the horrific and widespread health problems in some breeds it does give cause for concern. Presumably the owners of those breeds of dogs were trusting the KC and breed clubs to do any necessary health testing. Yet clearly the steps they were taking weren't even close to adequete.

Groups like the BBC, Dogs Trust, RSPCA etc are pulling out of Crufts despite the KC's claims that they have taken steps to resolve the problems reported in the documentary. These groups have access to data, are in communication with the KC and have the training and experience to interpret the evidence still believe that the KC is not doing enough to ensure good breeding practices. Or so they tell us.

I would be EXTREMELY angry to find out that the KC and Breed Clubs were covering up health problems. But I reiterate - nothing that I have discovered whilst owning a Beagle and mixing with numerous Beagle owners and breeders has led me to believe that the KC and Beagle breed club are being dishonest about the need for health testing in the Beagle breed.

If you believe differently why not present your evidence to the BBC. Maybe they can include the scandal in another documentary? Or perhaps you could inform Dogs Trust or the RSPCA? They might be able to do something to raise awareness.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm not sure that that is the main issue, is it? Woody is KC Registered (does it really mean anything these days, especially to simple pet owners such as us?) but that doesn't mean I condone un-ethical breed standards as are apparent in lots of breed types mentioned above.
Why did you bother to look for and buy a KC registered dog, if you have no regard for the organization..??

Did the fact you may breed from him, influence your choice in buy a KC registered dog, or are you as happy to breed from a unregistered dog.

Not really sure what my point is and confess to not knowing enough about it all to get in too deep, but I do know that even though Woody is KC Registered (we weren't out for that in our search anyway) I still do not agree with the Kennel Club's lack of "action" on this. I mean losing some of their biggest sponsors and now the BBC has surely got to tell them they are doing something wrong!
I am not sure what "lack of action" you mean ??

As stated already Pedigree`s withdrawal from Crufts has other connotations... it is all down to finance... if they where vehemently opposed to the showing world of dogs, they would not have been at the LKA this weekend , would they... but they where but kept it low key... now why is that I wonder, maybe because they dont want to be classed as hypercrits.

As for the others, well , we will see after the loss of revenue from the coming Crufts which way they go the following yr..

Crufts will survive, it is not the only dog show in the country it is one of many... they will continue with or without the media coverage..but I doubt they will have to..there will be someone waiting in the wings to take over the coverage..after all , it is all down to bums on seats for TV companies, and if coverage ups the ratings... that will be all that matters.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-12-2008, 05:37 PM

I
1. Yes. As I've said many times, my personal research has lead me to believe that the breeders of both my dogs are excellent, responsible breeders and we are delighted with both of our dogs.

2. Both breeders performed ALL of the health tests required by the KC and the breed club. As did the breeder of the father of both pups.

3. My personal research has not uncovered any information that leads me to believe that the KC and the breed club are reporting inaccurately on the need or even recommendation for health testing of breeding stock.

Thought you said the KC and breed club told you there where no heath tests for your breed required?

Yet now you say , your breeder has done all relevant tests required by the KC and breed clubs??

So how can they report inaccurately, when you say.. they do recommend health screening?
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox
Scarter ...found this for you, it took all of 5 mins , as you seem to have had no success in your search on health in the Beagle... though tyou may like to read this.
Thank you, but I've already seen it. And it fits with what I see amongst beagle owners and breeders. As I explained earlier:

Originally Posted by scarter
Since being a beagle owner I have come into regular contact with lots of beagle owners, lots of beagle showers and lots of beagle breeders. The general consensus is that the Beagle breed is healthy. I have heard of just a single case of hip dysplasia (the dog in question is fully mobile and not in any apparant pain) and a problem with epilepsy (two dogs destroyed at a young age and two requiring medication) with a single breeder.
I haven't heard of anyone with a beagle with SRM.

These are the problems most reported in beagles but they are very rare and not considered health issues. As I have said, the KC and Beagle breed club do NOT consider it appropriate to even recommend testing of breeding stock. And as it's not required or even recommended I don't think I know of any Beagle breeders that do any health testing.

As I explained earlier, I know of one that's very keen to do all she can to ensure the health of her pups, but has been advised that there is no point in testing for anything.

You may believe that health testing SHOULD be carried out by Beagle breeders. And as I keep saying - you may be right. If you are right this would indicate that we really can't trust the KC and breed clubs to provide the advice and information needed to help ensure a healthy breed. Even breeds that are described as 'healthy' and as having no health issues could well be heading for major health problems due to the failure of the KC and breed clubs to correctly advise breeders (and pet owners looking for healthy pets).

And that is a major problem that I think major groups such as Dogs Trust, RSPCA and the BBC are quite right to take a stand over.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Whoa, steady on. I'm not getting into a big one over this as I simply don't know enough about it.

The point I was making was that there is an increasing amount of poor publicity towards the KC lately because of un-ethical breeding standards and I don't like it.

We didn't go out to actively search for a KC registered puppy. We found him on Gumtree and he was KC Reg already and we are not going to breed from him, never even crossed our minds until we'd had him a month and some people we were meeting on walks told us we should look into it. So we did and we now have no desire to stud him at all. He's just a pet to us.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:50 PM

It doesn't take much to look up known health conditions in any breed, you don't need to ring the KC

One click of the mouse & the MRD & HD scores were found, I didn't look any further.

You have access to the internet so all you need to do is type health conditions in XXXXXXXX dog & any search engine will bring up results

So Scarter are you going to answer my question ?

Are your dogs from health tested parents or not ?
Page 10 of 17 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »