Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 03:26 PM

training halls?

well as some of u kno im studying to be a dog trainer. Anyway, ive been doing some research today on available halls for the future but im at a loss!
ive tried community centres, schools, churches u name it and no one will allow dogs!
Does anyone have any other ideas?
A field is ok, but would only work in the summer?
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 03:29 PM
What about local areas where they have dog shows, you could check your local press or the kennel club should be able to help as they do the dog citizen scheme. I take Brodie to a local community centre which allows dogs and a big bucket of disinfectant!
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:10 PM
What about things like village halls or indoor riding schools?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
well as some of u kno im studying to be a dog trainer. Anyway, ive been doing some research today on available halls for the future but im at a loss!
ive tried community centres, schools, churches u name it and no one will allow dogs!
Does anyone have any other ideas?
A field is ok, but would only work in the summer?
Well ... for puppy class our trainer used her (largish) garden, even in the winter, and although it was a bit cold and muddy (she put sand down) it was okay and the dogs didn't mind. I think a field would be okay. (Better for clearing up after, too )
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Well ... for puppy class our trainer used her (largish) garden, even in the winter, and although it was a bit cold and muddy (she put sand down) it was okay and the dogs didn't mind. I think a field would be okay. (Better for clearing up after, too )

wot about rain? i dont mind training in the rain , but others might not like it
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 05:42 PM
also, where can i find a field im allowed to use?
my garden is too small unfortunetely... do u think people would be willing to hire out their gardens,lol

or maybe use a sports field?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Very good points. TBH I would have preferred no rain but we got Loki in November so had no choice about the weather. In this case I would have preferred indoor, but once the weather improved, outdoor was just fine.

I have seen people use common land or council owned land - so public. I don't know what permissions would be needed so you could write to your local council and ask. Or the local vets might have some ideas, or the dog warden perhaps?
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 06:41 AM
I train outdoors all year. Not allways the best weather, but the right clothes can work wonders

If I get you right Jenny, you train OB right?
Which mean on/off lead, small/easy tracks, sit, stay, down, etc.
So IMO you need a field that hasnt got too high grass on, doesnt have to variatet ground, is pretty much straight, is in a area where people will come to (if they dont have cars?), that wont disturb or annoy people living close and doesnt like dogs that much, etc.
Theres actually many things to think about to find the perfect area for training dogs. Especially if you want to do classes = many dogs. Both at the same time but also for hours at a time.

I dont know your area (guess you knew that ) but I would suggest you to make notes about what you need and at what distance from you would be acceptable.
Then you can start up either the car or bike and go search for that.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Do a bit of sniffing around and find out where other training classes in, or close to, your area are held. If there are none in your area make enquireies further afield. That way you will have an idea of which types of organizations are amenable to letting their halls for dog training. Also check local agricultural societies. They sometimes have barns/ covered areas for shows which they may be willing to hire out.

The local council may give permission for you to use a recreation ground. A local cricket/football club may give permission to use their sports field.

Remember, you will need insurance as well as the hire fees wherever you go.
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2005, 09:13 AM
our classes were held at a large animal vets, in a indoor horse thingy that i think the instructors hired. the thing is the dogs were easily distracted by the horses in the background and as it was sand on the floor the dogs were more interested in rolling in it, eating it, sniffing it and chewing on clumps of fluff
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >