View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

08-04-2005, 06:32 AM

Dogs eating s**t Coprophagia)

First I apologise for the length of this post but I was asked to do someing on this habit, and to cover it completely takes a little time.

Coprophagia
animals eating faeces

Coprophagia is the medical term for when a dog eats either its own faeces or that of another animal. There are three types of Coprophagia…

1. Autocoprophagia: eating its own faeces…

2. Intraspecific Coprophagia: eating faeces from within its own species ie another dog.

3. Interspecific Coprophagia: eating faeces from another species (ie cat, deer, rabbit, horse, etc)

Interspecific Coprophagia is the most common version of this trait. The cause of this behaviour is not fully understood, however these are some suggestions and theories so are my own and some already studied.

Attention-seeking behaviour: The owner reprimands the dog despite being a negative reaction it is attention, which is what the dog may crave.

Allelomimetic behaviour: The dog observes the owner picking up the faeces and learns from them to do so as well. monkey see monkey do.

Genetic: the dog dates back to the Mesolithic period some 15000 years ago and fed off our middens and latrines therefore this was a staple diet.

Taste: taste may be a factor. It likes the flavour This is the likely mechanism in interspecific coprophagia such as eating cat faeces.

Maternal behaviour: A bitch with puppies has to stimulate the pups to toilet in the first 3 or 4 weeks. She then eats and drinks the resulting faeces/urine, therefore keeping the den clean and preventing the scent of the faeces from attracting predators. The pups see this and copy. Monkey see monkey do again.

Some treatments:
Forbid (TM)(R): A powder added to a dog's food. It is supposed to make the faeces taste bad (veterinary prescription only).

Deter (TM)(R): This is a pill given to a dog with its food. Like “Forbid”, “Deter” is supposed to make the faeces distasteful. You can buy it over the counter.

Some people put chilli sauce or mustard on the faeces in the hope that it will deter the dog. One of the best treatments is simply pick up the faeces. Lack of access can sometimes break the cycle.

Positive Reinforcement: This is the process of reinforcing another behaviour. instead. When the dog is about to begin eating the faeces, the owner can then use a number of techniques and commands. "Leave it", "Off ", "No", etc. Simple aversion therapy can be done by letting the dog approach the stool on a long lead. If he starts sniffing it, give a leash check with something like a Jingler or a noise aversion device such as training discs or a plastic bottle with pebbles which can be rattled and used as a startle resonse, these devises should be pre- programmed. If he passes by, then simply praise him.

Another technique that I have found can work extremely well is get one of the dog’s or cats faeces; allow it to dry a little. Go to your local joke shop and purchase a cap banger; this is a spring-loaded device that makes a bang when something is moved or lifted. Place the slightly dried faeces on the cap banger and await results. It works after about three bangs. Also great for counter surfing/food stealing which can of course be dangerous to a dog if it eats the wrong things.

If as in the previous cure the dog is “Autocoprophagic” i.e. eating own faeces then a method that sometimes works is to feed your dog pineapple slices in its food. It apparently makes their faeces foul tasting. Not something even in the depth of scientific analysis do I intend to test for myself.

There are some health implications to coprophagia. It is not merely a habit, which we see as vile and disgusting, There is a risk of ingesting internal parasites. This can happen if your dog eats the faeces of unfamiliar, infested dogs or cats or the faeces of wild life such as rabbit deer etc. If you worm the dogs regularly then the risk is far less.

The fecal-oral route can also transmit some rather nasty canine viral diseases. Hepatitis and canine parvovirus are just two of these serious diseases. Fortunately, vaccinated dogs should be covered for these viruses.

I would also strongly recommend keeping the dog away from cat faeces, because of the risk of organisms such as Toxoplasma gondii which can cause serious and sometimes fatal consequences, including hepatitis, pneumonia, blindness, and severe neurological disorders. The intestinal phase of this nasty little disease occurs only in cats (wild as well as domesticated) therefore transmission to dogs is by ingestion of oocysts (in cat faeces) or bradyzoites in raw or undercooked meat.

In the final analysis Coprophagia is a behaviour that we find disgusting, that in the main causes very little damage except to our sensibilities. However their are some notable exceptions and you should be aware of the potential dangers.

Hope that helped. I took a bit to write.

Stan
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks Doglistener that was very informative!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks DL.

I'm going to try the Deter with my GSDs.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 10:13 AM
thanx DL
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanx Doglistener,

Just what we all needed on this subject.I shall have a go at all the remedies over the next few months to see which works.

Julie
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks doglistner..few there I will definetly try....
Alohacorso
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 12:10 PM
I had this problem with my Maui when he was a pup. It didn't even help when we put deter in his food...he ate it anyway. Of course he was going through quarantine at the time so maybe stress was a factor. Anyway, someone suggested putting MSG (the food additive) in his food. We were desperate so we tried it and it worked! Now he can't even bare to step on his feces (he jumps a mile if he thinks he did) let alone eat it.

Any comments? Do you think the MSG could have adverse effects on him later in life?

Aloha,
Karen
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Roxy woman after me own heart LOL
craig
Dogsey Junior

07-05-2005, 09:25 PM
cheers dl i will give some of them a try
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Alohacorso View Post
I had this problem with my Maui when he was a pup. It didn't even help when we put deter in his food...he ate it anyway. Of course he was going through quarantine at the time so maybe stress was a factor. Anyway, someone suggested putting MSG (the food additive) in his food. We were desperate so we tried it and it worked! Now he can't even bare to step on his feces (he jumps a mile if he thinks he did) let alone eat it.

Any comments? Do you think the MSG could have adverse effects on him later in life?

Aloha,
Karen
I dont think so, but dont think its neccesary, the Raw meaty bones diet works much better.

www.ukrmb.co.uk

Take a look, hope it helps.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >