View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2006, 07:49 PM
My 2006 holiday is already a distant memory. That's the problem with holidays in January - nothing else to look forward to all year now. Oh well, at least I'll have a chance to catch up on the gardening and housework...
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Murphy
We're off to Cuba -Varadero ..if you've any tips and hints i'd be gratefull
WOW, I really hope you have as fantastic a time as we did in 2004. We went to Cayo Guillamo (small island off the top of Cuba itself)

The thing that struck the most is how poor these people are. We took lots of pens, pencils, crayons, cheap note books, disposable razors, headache tablets, mini deoderants, that sort of thing, and made little parcels up for the chamber maids and people that helped us. The folk in our hotel didn't require tipping for their excellent service but we gave a big tip at the end of the holiday (some were tipping every day!) We also gave all of Charlottes clothes away before we came back (we went in Oct and they would have been too small the next summer anyway) the poor child came home with only the clothes she stood up in!

Take plenty of sun cream and after sun (which can also be given away at the end of the holiday) and also anti-histamines (SP) if you react to mozzi bites the way I do. We also kept the patio doors closed all the time and used the air conditioning to cool the room to help keep the mozzies out. You can buy citronella stuff to keep in the room and wrist bands to try to keep them away (I'm not paranoid about mozzies - honest!!! ) Oh yes, and don't wear loads of perfume in the evening!

I also took loads of runny tummy stuff, but non of us had any problems at all - the food was incredible

If I hadn't already spent the 2006 budget (we really needed new sofas, the others are over 10 years old - well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) we would be back there in a flash
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks -we're going in October too I had heard alot about the tipping -some peeps seem to go overboard on it ( I'm not tight but can't afford the amounts some seem to give )I've started adding bits to my shopping -toiletries ,childrens vitamins , meds etc
I can't wait ..I get sooooo excited about holidays lol
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I had a holiday to Cuba booked in Oct - November 2005, but had to cancel it because of illness. So it looks like we are going this year instead. YIPPEE!!!!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 11:16 AM
OOh Roxy -you'll have to let me know when and where you are going -we might meet
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, you've all depressed me with your lovely holiday plans. The house needs a lot of work doing this year, so that's where our money is going. 2 weeks off in May but will be surrounded by scaffolding the whole time

We will however, be going back to Ambleside in the Lake District for a week with Cassie, even if I have to pay for it by credit card!!!!! Probably not til September/October time though
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi Wuffle, I know where you are coming from, but I reckon having renovations done are more important to your overall happiness

We live in a plastered house with no paint on the walls, it's depressing - and we've tried to paint it, but its a total disaster and have to get professionals in to fix our stuff ups - although we are going away in March (which is more because we have to) , I swear if we don't have this house decorated by the end of the year, both of us will have lost the plot.

What are you having done to the place? Sounds really great!

Hi you Cuba loving holiday folk - I would love to go to Cuba - very keen on the Buena Vista Social Club band which has slowly lost its members, but if any of you saw the Buena Vista Social Club documentary by Rye Cooder it showed spectacular footage of Cuba in its raw beauty. I think it's commendable to you who have given back to a country that really cannot go forward until its government changes route Still the town people will appreciate what you bring for them.

x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Don't feel too bad about it Ingrid, I've been living on a building site for nearly 5 years now! It's quite depressing isn't it! I can see that light at the end of the tunnel though now and it's all looking good I'm hoping that when I get back from mine at the end of Feb. it will all be finished as he takes the week off to doggy sit when I go away Well, that's what I'm hoping he'll do!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 08:08 PM
LOL...I'm still living in sh*t creek .. but holidays are important to us ..its the only time OH truly switches off and with a 15 yr old and a 12 yr old I think our family holiday days are numbered
MC - I've always wanted to go to Cuba and this may sound strange but I want to see it ''as Cuba'' before America gets its mitts on it proper .....Oooh I can taste them Mojitos
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks MC, getting the render taken off, re rendered and painted, new fascias and guttering, roof tiles fixed, new front door. Think that's about it. Expensive but will be worth it in the end. Had the bathroom done last year so will only add value to the house but hate things upside down
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >