Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Some ideas please.

As you all know our Dougal is deaf as a post. So training has been limited with him. However, I feel he can do more, he's very intelligent and quick to learn.

It's more hand signals I need for him, the one I want to work on is 'heel'. Especially when we are walking up the corkscrew and I see a car, I need him to be watching me. Suspect a long line may be required to get his eye contact...he will go wandering off ahead head down tail up and not pay attention unless he realises I'm missing...he's not too bad and won't go too far ahead. I just want to get more control with him

Another is 'leave it', he's allergic to grass and will chew at his paws, sometimes till they are a bit raw. The vets told me to give him piritin which I do but he still has the habit of licking or chewing his paws.

Any other ideas I can work with him on? He knows come, sit, say please (paw comes up and if he really really wants it will catch your leg till it gets REALLY sore).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
My friend uses a sweeping open hand for 'leave', she bangs her forehead with open hand for really bad stuff and he knows that as a shouty sort of sign. Thumbs up is clicker sign, finger and thumb in circle is 'good boy' along with a smiley face. She has a sign for each of her other dogs names as well as she realised that he wasn't good at waiting for treats in a queue----now he waits for his sign. She has sit, down, come etc and is doing agility with him as well as uk rally. She uses a bright tuggy toy for recall but he doesn't get to play with it---it is just a signal.

Heelwork is open hand in heel position.

She doesn't use a vibrating collar but it might be an idea for him to just let him know to watch you or check in. She has other dogs and he tends to follow them.

Good luck.

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Deaf dogs can learn pretty much anything a hearing dog can to be honest. You can use whatever signs come naturally for each thing or wahtever you feel like using. Heel for Rupe is arm out the side and then brought back in to pat the side of the thigh. Recall I hold both arms out the side then bring them down as I bend and clap (not the best description lol) He's not deaf but he was soooooo sensitive to any change in tone of voice that I had to train him without using my voice for a while and still use a lot of signs now.

Vibrating collar may be an idea for getting his attention. Course you'd have to teach him what it meant first.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys, been doing a little bit tonight trying to get him to leave his paws alone. He's picking it up well, but there again timing is everything, I haven't caught him too often at his paws.

Although he now knows I have chicken on me....so you can guess how often he's been at me saying please