Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Mary

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Like has been said you cant be there 24/7 We all do the best we can thats all we can do. I really hope this works out ok. Good luck.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Would think your neighbour is more concerned with the effect it has on the children, they may understandably feel the dog may have attacked them as well in it’s excitement. It sounds from your description that this dog has problems that mean you can’t enjoy her in the normal way and the dog is not leading a normal life, having to be kept on a lead outside the house is one thing but in your garden is very restricting to both you and the dog. You may well have said before but have you sort help for this bitch? The babysitter may well have been at fault but the dog is an accident waiting to happen and perhaps it is too much to expect someone else to understand just how much of a problem she is.

Not trying to get at you, have a difficult bitch myself, but trying to let you know what it will look like to an outsider.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Could you perhaps install a overhang at the top of your fences, or plant a shrub barrier in front so that she cannot get a clear run at the fences? That way she could enjoy the freedom of the garden without you worrying about her escaping.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 07:00 AM
What a dilemma, you poor thing. I can imagine how you're feeling right now.
I can understand what Thordell said about the babysitter not realising how much of a problem your doggy is, having said that, if you give a babysitter clear instructions not to do something, you expect them not to do it.
I'm a babysitter and they always leave their dobermann outside while I'm there because he's very boisterous but also because the cat's just had kittens and he could accidently hurt them. How many times has he banged the door down trying to get in and it's been so painful to leave him out there alone, but they told me to, and I do it. So please don't blame yourself.
As much as the babysitter is hurting right now from being scared by your neighbour, I think it's time you change babysitters. If s/he can't follow instructions, something could happen to your kids.
You can buy them another rabbit, but I'm not sure what you could do about how it had affected the children, how old are they? Generally, if they're much younger, they can be fickle and if they get another rabbit, they'll soon forget about their lost ones.
I think Shadowboxer's idea is a good one but it depends how fool proof it really is.

I really hope you get it sorted and please don't blame yourself, it's absurd that a babysitter should go completely against your orders.

Lottie
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 08:14 AM
My thoughts go out to everyone involved in this awful situation

For what it's worth, I think if it was me in the situation I would ask the neighbours
- what they think should happen?
- what they might think should happen if they were in your shoes?
might help them look at both sides.

As regards Abbey, all the advice above sounds good. You talk about a high prey drive and I wonder if you could get help on this from someone engaged in racing greyhound rescue? They don't succeed all the time but do manage to geta good number of ex-racers, bred and trained to chase small furries, into homes with small animals.

If all else fails could she wear a basket muzzle outside?

Take care
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Oh Mary,(((hug))) this is the last thing you need right now . It was a dreadful thing to happen but try to stay calm. I would go and see the people and explain how sorry you are and about the babysitter, then say that you know there is no way you can bring back lost pets but can you can replace the rabbits or do some thing to make amends to the children.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Just had a thought Mary, it may help when replacing the rabbits, to let the children go and choose their rabbits.
If you just bring them some rabbits they'll complain and say 'but I want our old rabbits back' but if you let them be actively involved in choosing the new ones, the excitement and involvement will help them get over their old ones.

Just a thought.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 08:52 AM
That's a great idea Lottie.

I am so sorry to hear of this happening and can totally put myself in your situation as only last year Ozzy escaped into our neighbours garden and it could easily have been me writing this.

The only thing you can do is apologize and try and make amends, be honest and tell your neighbour you will re-inforce the boundary so Abby cannot do this again.

Best of luck
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 08:57 AM
I phoned the police first thing this morning and the person I spoke to said the police wouldnt get involved until he asked what breed she was then he told me I shouldnt have a dangerous dog like that as I cant control her and maybe I should rehome her before she bites a child wasnt happy as she isnt people aggressive its just small and furries.
I went to see the neighbours to say sorry and see if they wanted me to replace the rabbits turns out their kids were in bed so they didnt see anything and Abby didnt kill the rabbits, she has damaged the run and put a hole in the fence so I said I will pay for the damage. They have a patch of grass that has been burnt by the sun and she tried telling me Abby did that(how). Hubby wasnt in so I have asked her to send him round and tell me how much I owe. They want me to get rid of Abby which isnt and option or to put an electric fence up but I have young kids so no.
I will get in contact with greyhound rescue they might have some ideas for m.
Thanks all
Mary
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Sorry to hear this has happened, its awful, have you been round yet to see the neighbours? I wouldnt leave it too late, I know if this had happened to my chidren or rabbits, I would expect the dog owner around straight away, to sort things out, the longer you leave it the more this neighbour is going to build up resentment.

Mo
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »