Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Can dogs get hayfever?

Fudge has had slightly red eyes for a couple of days, only me noticed really as it is very slight. She also has an increased discharge from them in the mornings. We are off to the vets tomorrow anyway as it is kennel cough booster time but asking vet about eyes too.I just wondered if they could get hayfever? If she needs anti-biotics the kennel cough will have to wait......
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi Fudgeley dogs can develop an allergic reaction to many substances including various pollens so I suppose you could say they can have a type of hayfeaver.

There are various canine antihistamines available from the vet if a reaction is severe , Atarax is one.

Another treatment for pollen related allergy is if you have a local beekeeper to give your dog honey made within five miles of where you live (that is the distance bees are thought to gather pollen) this will help to desensitise your dog to the local pollen .

Have you changed any cleaning products recently or added scented room fresheners, these can cause a reaction in some dogs.
The red eyes could also be conjunctivitis caused by a mild infection. I would bath them in a mild saline solution made from a pint of boiled water a teaspoon of salt taking care to use a clean piece of cotton wool each time you put it in the liquid and for each eye to prevent cross infection. As you are going to the vet anyway he may be able to diagnose any problem .
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks Mini. I started another thread as I have had a diagnosis from the vet of conjunctivitus. Great to know about the pollens. Also the bathing as the vet did not tell me that.
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2007, 03:26 AM
Dogs suffer from similar allergies just as we do ourselves. One of my dogs was tested at the Royal Vetinary College and it would be easier to tell you what he was not allergic to than what he was, as there were so many! They recommended Piriton antihistamine tablets and bathing his eyes in Optrex (or you could use a very mild salt solution)
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Had a dog a while ago who got runny red eyes. The vet said it was an allergic reaction. Turned out mum's cleaner was using a deodorant type powder in the vaccuum cleaner & this is what was causing the problems.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-06-2007, 01:16 PM
caesar had very sore eyes 2 years ago, due to running through high grass. the vet gave him eye drops, it cleared up quite quickly. now he's grown up a bit, it does'nt bother him anymore.

PS: keep your dog away from RHODODENDRON plants, they're very poisonous to dogs !!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 09:18 AM
we have dogs that come into work on piriton because of the pollen so yes they can just like us
ATD