Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
markb
New Member!
Male 

06-02-2017, 01:03 AM

Lot of anxiety

my wife and i had a boxer mix for over 10 years and he recently passed away in november. after some thought, we decided to look for a new rescue dog. we visited some shelters and fell in love with a brother/sister pair of shepherd/husky mixes. they are one year old. I picked them up 5 days ago all ready with food, treats, toys, crates...

after one day i started to feel so much anxiety. our 13 year old dog was as you would expect very mellow for many years. the female has cried every night in her crate and we have not slept very well.
I question our decision to get two dogs. i'm not sure if i dont' remember how it was when we first got our last dog or if it is that i'm 49yo now and older. I do like to play with them outside but their energy, her crying and rough housing inside is causing my blood pressure to sky rocket. i don't want to give up on these two but i don't want to feel anxious and nervous all the time.

any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by markb View Post
my wife and i had a boxer mix for over 10 years and he recently passed away in november. after some thought, we decided to look for a new rescue dog. we visited some shelters and fell in love with a brother/sister pair of shepherd/husky mixes. they are one year old. I picked them up 5 days ago all ready with food, treats, toys, crates...

after one day i started to feel so much anxiety. our 13 year old dog was as you would expect very mellow for many years. the female has cried every night in her crate and we have not slept very well.
I question our decision to get two dogs. i'm not sure if i dont' remember how it was when we first got our last dog or if it is that i'm 49yo now and older. I do like to play with them outside but their energy, her crying and rough housing inside is causing my blood pressure to sky rocket. i don't want to give up on these two but i don't want to feel anxious and nervous all the time.

any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe your expectations are too high. You probably have forgotten how hard it can be at times and lack of sleep can make you irrational. Most of those things can be solved with training and time. I share your pain as I've just taken on two dogs, a male and a female and our sleeping needs are not yet in sync. Having to get up at 5 am cos they need to go to the toilet is not my idea of fun, and them screeching if I dare to go to the loo in the middle of the night is grating but experience tells me it won't last and in the space of a few weeks we've made amazing progress. Just try to stay calm and keep in mind it won't last, it will improve.
markb
New Member!
Male 

07-02-2017, 12:13 PM
thanks for the reply. my mind changes almost every hour. one hour i say i can do this, they're getting a little bettwe and it will eventually be rewarding. the next hour, i say i can't do this and i need to take them back to the foster parents and maybe find an older dog. i am still filled with so much anxiety and stomach is upset as soon as i wake up in the morning. uggh