Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have not read the thread, as I cannot force myself to read through 23 pages worth.

I was disgusted at lasts nights program and the way it was heavily edited to disgrace breeders, the KC and people who are involved in the show world.

The KC is not to blame for health problems in purebred dogs - the individuals that breed those dogs are. GREED and money are the motivation behind breeding genetically diseased dogs. The lady with the diseased show-dog Cavalier is not interested in the long term health of the breed. If she did, she would not breed from a dog carrying a genetic disease. Instead, she breeds because she is motivated by money.

The RSPCA chief vets comments in regard to show dogs appalled me. If HE is the RSPCA chief vet, God help us all. Dog shows are "mutant parades", according to him. Rediculous. There is no denying that many breeds have issues caused by over and in breeding. But to suggest that all who breed show dogs are doing some kind of disservice to the breed is madless. The programme FAILED to recognize responsible breeders. It FAILED to recognize breeders who health test, temperament test, show and work their dogs. It FAILED to regonize the hundreds, if not thousands, of puppy mills that churn out millions of genetically unsound puppies each year.

Disgusting.
You can knock them for editing if you want to but the fact remains that the individuals featured clearly do hold these beliefs and were happy to give them on camera. There aren't too many ways "puppies born without a ridge should be culled" can be interpreted are there?

The issue with the KC as far as I see it is that in allowing these dogs to win shows and produce registered offspring they are essentially sanctioning the actions of the breeders that are unscupulous and clearly do not have the animals best interests at heart. I would also say that a lot of the breed standards seem to encourage traits that clearly are not desirable from a health point of view.

Ok it may not be the KC that set the standards but they certainly endorse them and as such have a resposibilty to use their influence in a positive way.

No, not all breeders behave badly, and not all pedigree owners are pompous idiots only interested in aesthetics. But some behave very badly indeed... and some are willing to endanger animals to produce a required "look".

That is what is disgusting - and if you can't see that then maybe next time they need to make the programme a bit more sensationalist to get the damn point across.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
no its been around awhile but sadly has got worse
due to breeders like the woman who was Rolo's owner churning out 26 possible litters who are carriers or have the disease !!
Whats your average litter size ? multiply that by 26 then you have a heck of a lot of dogs, and yet the cavalier club allow it to go on? or turn a blind eye.

Its just terrible. It must make you very sad Inca to see your breed like that - and that woman who is shouting about it getting basically shouted down for it !! she has 2 dogs with the same condition - thats just heartbreaking.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
First would like to point out me n the judge at crufts dont see eye to eye on a lot of points and we have had dissagreements, but feel some of the criticism on here is a bit unfair, secondly the GSD who won at crufts does have a high working qualification, one I doubt most dogs on here incapable of achieving, he has also been hip/elbow xrayed under the SV and achieved his KKL (breed survey) this is not just about conformation but also temperement. I didnt see him go around at crufts but have seen him in a football stadium and on a natural surface there is nothing wrong with his movement, remember this was the first show that he had ever competed in an inside enviroment. Again the video footage of the shows had been edited just to show the bad parts.
To achieve what Zamp did first the dog as to compete in the AD a 12mile endurance test, ask yourselves how many of your dogs are capable of gaiting that far? Then he would do the BH, then SchH levels 1,2 & 3, be guntested, breed surveyed etc How many GSDs on here could compete in work at these levels? how many would freak out at the sound of a gun? how many can a complete stranger walk over to without the dog either being aggressive or shying away? A lot of inherited defects have come from the dogs you all admire from many years ago, the original shepherd was smaller and only weighed 26kg for an adult male, not the dogs you all remember from the 70's/80's crippled with HD and epilepsy amongst many others. If you care to look back and see the dogs from yesterday even as early as 1960 the English lines were way over size and had dippy backs, and these are CH both obedience and conformation I am talking about, so before any critising the good breeders of today remember they are trying to breed out the defects and genetics conditions that the breeders of yesterday bred into the breed. There are many bad breeders in all breeds including crossbreeds and mongrels, I have been to the vets tonight for a vacination on my dog, he was the only pedigree in there so and this quite often happens, so doesnt say much for the health of mongrels and crossbreeds either.
I know this particular dog has many working qualifications and has passed conformation tests, but why is it so overangulated to the point that it's uncomfortable/wobbling at a stand and moving at a walk? I think all dogs should be fit and capable of running miles, but they should also be comfortable at a standstill. I fail to see why the exaggeration is warranted - could you enlighten me?
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
What a shockingly horrid programme, that poor Boxer made me cry.

I just can't believe some breeders are happy to bury their heads in the sand and pretend these problems are not out there. Culling puppies who don't have a ridge, breeding Bassetts with excessive folds on it's legs, to quote the judge "Just because that's the way the dog is!" and allowing sick dogs to breed is just absolutely unacceptable!!! It's about time breeders like that are outed, I hope they're holding their heads in shame!

I would be happy to see a law brought in that prevented excessive qualities being bred into dogs, but whilst winning comes first and the dogs health comes second nothing is ever going to change.

PS. And what about that idiot who was shown an old picture of the original Bassett and stated he would be ashamed to have bred such an animal!!!!! That's your breeds foundations staring you in the face you pompous idiot!!!!
Well said Rips, One more for the 'wake up and small the coffee club'...can I sense a new signature for breeders on dogsey
Mary
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I know this particular dog has many working qualifications and has passed conformation tests, but why is it so overangulated to the point that it's uncomfortable/wobbling at a stand and moving at a walk? I think all dogs should be fit and capable of running miles, but they should also be comfortable at a standstill. I fail to see why the exaggeration is warranted - could you enlighten me?
Well said MSE2P.....I am no expert in GSDs but would like to know. I saw him at Crufts (exhibiting in next door ring), heard the roar, went to see what it was about and was um, well, astounded.
Mary
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
due to breeders like the woman who was Rolo's owner churning out 26 possible litters who are carriers or have the disease !!
Whats your average litter size ? multiply that by 26 then you have a heck of a lot of dogs, and yet the cavalier club allow it to go on? or turn a blind eye.

Its just terrible. It must make you very sad Inca to see your breed like that - and that woman who is shouting about it getting basically shouted down for it !! she has 2 dogs with the same condition - thats just heartbreaking.

Too true.

One thing that left my gob utterly smacked is that other woman (another breeder I believe) saying it was unforgivable to enter a showring and discuss SM with the winner when she was asked to explain why she was upset to see the programme makers. So that is apparently worse than the cretinous "winner" breeding from her dog that has been diagnosed with the condition is it??!
Diamond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I was totally horrified and saddened by the findings presented in the programme, what an eye opener and what a struggle for love some owners have faced.

I used to show, NOT BREED, and I was part of the show scene purely for the hope of making new friends of people that had a shared interest in the breed of dog we owned... and most of the people I know also had a great love of the breed too. There are some people that wanted to win, for some ego feeding trip, not for the dog, but for them. When my DOG seemed to stop enjoying the show, I stopped. I do miss some of the friends I made - but keep in touch at a distance, so they are still friends.

The one thing that I would say is, dog breeding must be incredibly attractive some people as an easy way to make money... I do not know of any breeder that pays tax on the puppies they sell? Some breeds being sold for several hundreds of pounds per pup, some even more.

That lady who won best in show, with a poorly dog.. how happy she was to share with the camera the win... how he attitude changed when they asked her about her dogs confirmed illness!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi mse2ponder,
for the last few decades the Germans have been focusing on Temperments, working qualifications and hip status, these dogs are only allowed to breed if they achieve good hips, elbows etc and trying to eradecate the problems caused by breeders in the 70/80's by focusing on the hips and only ensuring dogs are A stamp are bred from the shape has changed with the croup becoming more pronounced, what they havent done is look to the length of hock, several WG lines now have over length hock it is this that causes the unatural stance on indoor surfaces when the dog is resting on outdoor surfaces grass, kennel run areas soil etc the dogs do not splay their feet the same on the rear, so the hocks appear firmer. What you have to remember is that this was the first time he had ever walked on an indoor surface. The one I have from similar lines because he was raised indoors does not appear unsteady or uncomfortable on carpets etc.
Hope that makes sense!
The SV are re-assessing both working and showlines in Germany, so there will be changes hopefully for the better, what annoys me is that in this country anyone can put any dog to any bitch reguardless of health status, at least in other countries dogs with bad hips are not allowed to be bred from. Recently seen ones in the 90's being used from lines here in the UK. All lines of GSD whether they be English showline, WG showline, English workline, European worklines and pet lines have their genetic conditions, its not just showlines like everyone believes. The GSD was developed from a very limited gene pool, like I am sure many other breeds are.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Er I can guarantee that I will not breed any puppies with CEA(CH)/CL/TNS/MDR-1/PRA because my dogs(& any stud dogs I use)are all health tested-you cannot if the parents are not tested.

BTW my BC's are NOT show bred dogs they are bred to work with a pedigree that is either all working dogs(Rjj)or Obedience/ISDS(Jessie & Wukee-who has already shown herding ability)

My neighbours have a lurcher bred to work-he is 4 & is on heart medication for a serious heart condition & yes he was a rescue !! Good job they have Petplan Insurance to pay for his very expensive medication-but aren't crossbreeds more healthy & non pedigree untested dogs more healthy ?
No, I said even the best breeder in the world cannot GUARANTEE a healthy pup, they can say they have had the checks for certain known diseases but not for every single known condition that a dog can have now or in the future

I also never said that x-breeds are healthier, sure there is more genetic diversity which is a good thing but if the dogs they are being bred from are unhealthy then they stand a good chance of inheriting conditions.
I really dont see how giving an example of an unhealthy working dog is any use in this discussion at all, we all know of dogs with health problems
But out of interest (and I will have to dig out the link) there was a study in Germany on dog mortalilty done over many years and they found on average, compairing sizes, mutts tended to live 2 years longer than pedigree dogs
of course there will be really sick mutts and really healthy pedigrees and not for a moment do I condone the breeding of mutts - but I 100% believe that breeding for looks alone is also wrong and limiting the gene pool so much is hurting dogs and breeding for profit will always have unethical people who forget they are dealing with life and only think how they can get a quick buck

Well I dont think I commented whether your dogs were show bred or not, this discussion has been about show bred dogs so that what what we were talking about
But great, if you are breeding to uphold the intelegence and working ability of the collie, have a great understanding of the balance the dog needs, are choosing studs based on the working qualities which will compliment the bitches you are putting them as well as getting the health checks done well done you - I really dont understand your problem with me then because we are all fighting the same side!
so mibby you dont have to jump on my every post, or if I bug you that much just put me on ignore
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Because I have breeds that are still used for their original purpose (GSD, GSP, Hound) they are all dogs fit for purpose Yes I know there is a controversy about the croup line but the vast majority of GSDs look like they could give any villain a run for his money. It seems to be dogs that have lost their role that are the most exaggerated - perhaps because they don`t need to be healthy, just to catch eye of a buyer. As Wildmoor says, in Germany GSDs have to prove their fitmess. It would be interesting to see what would happen if show dogs were required to run for half a mile or so as part of the show process. I wonder how far a peke or bulldog would get?
Page 25 of 65 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 > Last »