View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2008, 09:04 PM

E-Collars banned in Wales - what's your view?

I just heard on the radio that the Welsh Assembly are proposing to ban the use of E-collars with their use restricted to professionals and Vets. The rest of the UK is also considering their use and if legislation is needed.

So what's your view?

Is this the right move forwards? If so:
- who will be the 'professionals' allowed to use them and what training / examination do you think they should need to take?
- Should it be further extended to prevent anyone from using them including vets and professionals?
- Is more legislation needed.

On the other hand is this just 'the nanny state a step too far?'
- Is there any legislation needed around this topic?
- Are there certain scenarios where nothing but an E-Collar is suitable
- are you concerned that further legislation will follow?

It might also help the discussion if we are to know if you are commenting as a dog owner or dog professional and the potential implications (if any) this will have on your training. I know E-Collars are a 'hot topic' on here and many of you may feel you have exhaustively expressed your views, I am just interested to know how this new legislation affects you and your views.

Here's a link to the BBC's article for reference:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7473597.stm
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Personally, I'm delighted to hear it. I sincerely hope that England and Scotland follow suit.

I'd like to see a total ban too.

Why anyone would want to inflict this sort of pain on a dog is beyond me.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Well done Wales. Like Vicki I hope Scotland and England follow ASAP
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Wish the ban was nationwide and applied to everyone alike. If you're a trainer and have to use them then in my book you're not a very good trainer
If everyone went round putting ecollars on kids to stop there unruly behaviour there would be an uproar. Why do it to poor dogs who can't answer for themselves. We managed without them before and we'll do it again. We should be moving forward with dog training as we get to understand the dog more and more so we shouldn't be taking a step backwards and using these cruel gadgets. And to those that say it doesn't upset the dog. A lot of MP's that tried the collars would disagree.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Well you wouldnt stick your childs' finger in a socket to stop it from doing something wrong, so I dont' see why doing it to a dog should be allowed !

I hope to see a National Ban for everyone.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 03:27 AM
I, personally am glad its being banned - having heard horror stories of alleged trainers using 3 e-collars at the same time at different places on the body - to 'train' the dog then sell it off and probably (IMO Only) do the exact same again. I hope everywhere else follows suit with the ban - though i believe England are doing a detailed survey (can't think of word, arrrgh) which won't be completed till 2010.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Chuffed to bits with the ban and can`t wait for it to be the same everywhere. I don`t think `professionals and vets` should be allowed them either though, if a professional `needs` to use them then they can`t be much cop as a trainer quite frankly and I`ve never ever heard vet support the things - why on earth would a vet use one anyway !
They have been banned for use on UK military dogs for years - a decision made by the military themselves - if they don`t feel any need to use them given the level of obedience they have to attain with their dogs then no one `needs` to use the things.
I believe some SAR people use them abroad but UK SAR, [ Search and Rescue ], don`t use them and did ban someone who came from the US who wanted to use on on his dog.
When considering the jobs some dogs do, jobs which simply can`t be trained for effectively with force and many of those jobs meaning life or death for people if the dogs have`nt learned their job well ie Guide dogs, Hearing dogs, sniffer dogs, SAR dogs, and yes protection dogs, why on earth anyone with a non-working pet dog should ever consider using one I don`t know.
So the sooner the ban is Nationwide the better, but shameful that England once again lags behind on the animal welfare front, so much for the `nation of animal lovers` by which standards and reputation used to be measured....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Most people who know me....will know that I think anyone who uses these....that goes for Vets proffessionals etc., would NEVER NEVER NEVER be allowed near one of my dogs. They should Ban the lot in my opinion........all over the country.

I read many reason why people feel they have the NEED to use them, livestock issues, Drive, Chase, everything........I have a high drive herding dog here.....she listens to me when I whistle..she knows to leave well alone and when not to......BY MY COMMAND.

I didn't use a E Collar Pronged Collar or anything barbaric
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Cymru am Byth! Well done Wales.

I hope we follow suit and the ban is TOTAL.

Electric shocks have no place in training a dog, IMO.
I wouldn't use on electricity on anything living that I loved. Heck, wouldn't even use it on a living being I didn't like
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Well done to Wales!

I am a dog trainer and would never use an electric collar. I also do behavioural work and would never use an ecollar.

The Association of Pet Dog Trainers and the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors are in support of a ban

I think some things do need legislation and this is one of them, as dogs cannot speak for themselves .It is a welfare issue, as far as I am concerned.

Are you asking for some kind of research?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >