Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I used to have the honour and privilege of knowing a reasonably well known ornithologist, Frank Rountree, who we would dine with, and his wife, when we were holidaying each year on the island of Sark in the Channel Islands. He wrote an excellent book on the birds of Sark, and I enjoyed several interesting conversations with him about the island in general, but in particular the birds to be seen there. Something he said has stuck in mind - the thrill of the "chase", the thrill of the "hunt" to him was terribly exciting - but with a camera in his hand, not a gun. The skill, the patience, the tracking know-how and local knowledge required to get a photograph of a shy and rare bird such as the Golden Oriole, far, far outweighed the skill required to blast any bird with a 12 bore. Frank would say that the blood lust is still in us as a species, but that we could satisfy it by photographing wildlife, or playing a competitive sport far more effectively, and without the need for anything to die.
Now that I can admire.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Better to have never been born than to be killed a few years,or less, down the line imo.

What a disrespectful & callous way to treat an animal that has served its masters.

i couldn't agree more. I don't understand either the opinion that "life at all costs" is what's important. It's not ... QUALITY of life is what is important.

Having said that though, better that they were put down than made to suffer.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Well said, i couldnt agree more, & im so sorry for your loss x

7 weeks ago we lost one of our beloved dogs to cancer, the one on my avatar as it happens, and its broken our hearts, we would have given anything to have been able to save her but there was nothing the vets could do, so we had to let her go. What has made losing her all the more painful is she was only 7, & up until the week before she died she was happy and full of life & appeared healthy, we feel like shes been robbed.

Most hounds are disposed of by that age! To me that is horrifying, ...people who support hunts are certainly not genuine dog lovers.

Hal was 10, so not quite as bad, but he still was cut down virtually in his prime, very sad. I am sorry for your loss too
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Well said, i couldnt agree more, & im so sorry for your loss x

7 weeks ago we lost one of our beloved dogs to cancer, the one on my avatar as it happens, and its broken our hearts, we would have given anything to have been able to save her but there was nothing the vets could do, so we had to let her go. What has made losing her all the more painful is she was only 7, & up until the week before she died she was happy and full of life & appeared healthy, we feel like shes been robbed.

Most hounds are disposed of by that age! To me that is horrifying, ...people who support hunts are certainly not genuine dog lovers.

I eat meat, does that mean I am not a genuine animal lover,

Because I know when farm animals outlive their usefulness, they go for slaughter, should I not eat meat due to the farmer disregarding the sheep /cow that has served him well , then sends to market when its no longer earns its keep

I accept that animals mean different things to different people, some of us keep them as pets, and find the way others see their as abhorrent, how can some one disregard their beloved dog, because I could never do that !

Whether you like it or not, hounds are not pets, they are not seem as pets, they are part of a lifestyle , and do a job, when they can no longer do the job, they are recycled into the way of life.

Do I like the thought of them being disposed of , no ofcouse I don`t, so don`t go throwing the emotive "you can be a dog lover " around, because its just words, as far as I am concerned, and rather pathetic

I am not arrogant enough to think that everyone should see their animals as I do, for many its a living , a way of life, they do a job, they are treated well, and live full lives whilst they can.

Do I think better they should not be born...absolutely not

You only have to watch them working to see the fulfilled life they have, a better life than many many pet dogs to be honest.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
never said i agree with it,,,,,,,,,,,,, but its a fact, and you can spout all you want on this tiny part of the internet but it won't change a thing.

I do work my dogs, not because of any sort of blood lust, but because my dogs enjoy it, and even though we do other things to keep them mentally and physically stimulated during the off season they are never quiet as satisfied as they are after working.

OH and FWIW all the birds are either taken by the guns or beaters or if there are any left they are given to the pub that plays host to the shoot.
I "work" my dogs ... not in any formal capacity, but certainly do not discourage them from bringing down rabbits and squirrels. As you say, the dogs enjoy it, it fulfills them mentally and physically and as predominantly carniverous animals, I would even suggest that it essential that they are allowed to chase prey, irrespective of whether they bring it down or not. I would prefer that they do in the case of rabbits, because as raw fed boys, it is a very important source of fur for them that they otherwise don't get.

I am glad that no birds are wasted at your shoot. They are not at our local shoot either - the beaters have their pick, and any that are left are handed out to any of the domestic staff or farm hands. The shots of course can have what they have bagged - but many choose not to. All they are interested in is bagging as many as they can - I would have far more respect for them if they took their bag home for themselves and their gundogs to enjoy.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I eat meat, does that mean I am not a genuine animal lover,

Because I know when farm animals outlive their usefulness, they go for slaughter, should I not eat meat due to the farmer disregarding the sheep /cow that has served him well , then sends to market when its no longer earns its keep

I accept that animals mean different things to different people, some of us keep them as pets, and find the way others see their as abhorrent, how can some one disregard their beloved dog, because I could never do that !

Whether you like it or not, hounds are not pets, they are not seem as pets, they are part of a lifestyle , and do a job, when they can no longer do the job, they are recycled into the way of life.

Do I like the thought of them being disposed of , no ofcouse I don`t, so don`t go throwing the emotive "you can be a dog lover " around, because its just words, as far as I am concerned, and rather pathetic

I am not arrogant enough to think that everyone should see their animals as I do, for many its a living , a way of life, they do a job, they are treated well, and live full lives whilst they can.

Do I think better they should not be born...absolutely not

You only have to watch them working to see the fulfilled life they have, a better life than many many pet dogs to be honest.
I eat meat too Jackbox - I am more carniverous than I am anything else, and I firmly believe that a diet consisting of meat and fish is essential for us omnivores - we have the teeth to prove it!

But I don't need to say that I am an animal lover too. I eat meat because I consider I should to be healthy. I eat vegetables too, but I consider that as omnivores we also need a little meat as well.

But I hold a very strong opinion about animals in general that are used to help mankind in their work and their play. Shooting not for food but for enjoyment is very definitely under the category of "play", and my personal opinion is that a true animal lover would not want to shoot for pleasure. Shooting for food is great, don't have a problem with that - take your bag home, and share it with your gundog, fabulous, great news.

Foxhounds being destroyed when they are still healthy to my mind is not the action of an animal lover. It is disrespectful to the hound that has given the hunt several years of service. He at least deserves the chance of a suitable home - a home where he will be exercised daily, where he will live with canine company. Foxhounds do make good and suitable pets in the right home.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Foxhounds being destroyed when they are still healthy to my mind is not the action of an animal lover. It is disrespectful to the hound that has given the hunt several years of service. He at least deserves the chance of a suitable home - a home where he will be exercised daily, where he will live with canine company. Foxhounds do make good and suitable pets in the right home.
Oh how i wish it was that easy to find a home for a dog thats never seen the inside of a house, is used to peeing and pooing where it wants to and then running through it, the fact is its not, rescues are struggling to find homes for young dogs that come ready made let alone dogs that will need the work a retired fox hound will.

ETA we often say on this forum that there are worse things for a dog than being PTS
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Oh how i wish it was that easy to find a home for a dog thats never seen the inside of a house, is used to peeing and pooing where it wants to and then running through it, the fact is its not, rescues are struggling to find homes for young dogs that come ready made let alone dogs that will need the work a retired fox hound will.

ETA we often say on this forum that there are worse things for a dog than being PTS
I amaware of the trials and tribulations of rehoming a foxhound. Whoever said anything about the dog sleeping inside? I for one would leap at the opportunity to have a dog who could do just this, would not have an issue with it at all, wish I could get my 2 hairy monsters to sleep in a kennel outside.

You see, I am just one person and already I am showing myself to be a suitable rehoming for a foxhound.

There are indeed worse things than euthanasia, i am the first one to agree with that. But attempts should at least be made to rehome any unsuitable hound who does not make the grade.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

28-11-2012, 05:03 PM
never said i agree with it,,,,,,,,,,,,, but its a fact, and you can spout all you want on this tiny part of the internet but it won't change a thing.

I do work my dogs, not because of any sort of blood lust, but because my dogs enjoy it, and even though we do other things to keep them mentally and physically stimulated during the off season they are never quiet as satisfied as they are after working.

OH and FWIW all the birds are either taken by the guns or beaters or if there are any left they are given to the pub that plays host to the shoot.

I take it you run your dogs in Harness? which is what they're bred for and they'll love it, same as the hounds will love running with the pack, and the gundogs love working to the gun, this is what they're born to do.

I have a situation for you, i have a springer she has crocked legs, bad knees and hips, when this was first diagnosed the vet said the best thing i could do for her would be to give her long on lead walks, she lives to run, her life would have been miserable if i'd chosen that route, i chose to let her lead her life as a springer should, if by doing that she has a shorter life then so be it, she will have had a shorter life being fulfilled, not a long miserable life not being able to do what she was bred to do.

So the comparison is the Fox hounds have done their job, they have lived for however many years they have had doing what they were bred to do, they are now in a situation where they can no longer work for whatever reason, the question is whats kinder?, confine them to kennels for the rest of their lifes, never getting to go out with the pack and getting frustrated because the rest are going out, or the alternative? and don't say rehome, have you ever tried to housetrain a dog thats spent years in a kennel, or get them used to things in the house, its a nigh on impossible job, now thats not to say that shooting them is the answer
Wasnt going to bother with this thread, you all know my thoughts on this so called sport.

But I will 'spout' as you so politely put it on that point many many people rehome dogs that have spent their lives in kennels.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Wasnt going to bother with this thread, you all know my thoughts on this so called sport.

But I will 'spout' as you so politely put it on that point many many people rehome dogs that have spent their lives in kennels.
yep they do me included, so i am coming from a little experience, but its not everyone has that sort of patience, not everyone likes Sxxt all over there house or a dog that needs valium to go in a car, or one that wets itself when it sees an ironing board, i could go on but won't because lets face it we're are talking about older dogs that have spent their lives in the country living in a pack of probably 30 or 40, a lot of the outside world is going to be terrifying
Page 17 of 21 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »