Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarkAndOscar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Pavement Surfing?

Hi All,

I was just wondering what you all thought about pavement surfing?

My Oscar is quickly becoming a pro!

Anything that could be considered even half edible he trys to get into his gob!!

So does anyone else have the same kind of thing going on??

Mark And Oscar
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I think the simple answer from here would be YES!! Kia is a terror for it! And with all he frigging chicken bones left lying on the streets around here I have to be super vigilant! She is getting better with her 'leave it' so I'm reluctant to get a muzzle for it but I know how dangerous cooked chicken bones can be so I do worry!

She also seems to have a bit of a taste for minty things and tries to get chewing gum up off the pavements Bizarre girl...

Sarah x
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Used to have this "problem" with Angus one of my Cairns. He used to dive into hedges and come out with half a mars bar!

One day he got caught out though. When my Dad came back with him from a walk Angus had his face stretched in a very peculiar fixed grin. When I examined him closer he had got a ball of plasticene stuck between his teeth!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Oh yes, you're not alone! Molly is awful for it too!

We live in between a college, a primary school and a park so we get tonnes of food and food packets lying around. Molly goes for absolutely anything she can get her paws on, be it McDonalds, KFC, milkshake bottles, packets of crisps, sweet wrappers, chewing gum off the floor, sandwiches in clingfilm

It's awful, she would eat the plastic wrappings if you let her so I have to be extra vigilant that she doesn't pick up anything she's not meant to!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Chip's another one
I blame Gregg's. he found a half eaten sausage roll once and he's been on a mission to find the rest ever since.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Just teach a good Leave command and reward with something tastier than ancient ribs. Stuff they pick up could be lethal.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Henry is my first to do this, I've only had him just over 2 weeks but already he is brilliant.

If he pays too much attention to something I tell him "Henry leave" and he will, if he manages to pick something up I stop walking, say "Henry drop" and he does...it's a miracle as I'm not renowned for my training skills, I think I'm just lucky that I have an intelligent setter, (that in itself is one for the record books)

Good luck, if it's any help I have found simple commands work better, always his name first and then sit, leave, drop, come etc., work a treat
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Yep - same here.
Dennis quite looks forward to going on a kebab-hunt on a Sunday morning
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 09:50 AM
When Chester was little he liked to grab dropped tissues which was gross on a new level for him but Griffin is a complete gannet so feel that leave needs to be an ingrained command from the word go!!
Scorpio, all setters are intelligent I think it's just a case of whether or not they apply themselves, much more fun to play the fool!!
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes! I pratically have to drag Ted past morrisons or he has his head shoved in the hedge trying to get all the cooked bones thrown in there
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >