Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I didn't think you were flaming me, the OP was being flamed for declawing his cat....i.e. the entire thread turned into a discussion about how awful that was and only a few people actually responded to the question which was completley unrelated. I think thats flaming. You can have all the opinions you want, but you aren't living where I live, you dont work in Emergency veterinary medicine and see all the horrors I see every day. I'll do what it takes to protect my cats. They don't miss the outdoors, and I'm assured they won't die a horrible death.

the way i would view your vet nurse scenario is that if you live in an area where cats are regulalry prone to injury risks, i would question if one should have pet cats in that area, as my personal view of cats is that they should have an outdoor life where they can be happiest according to nature.
but thats my own opinion, come to after years working with and rehoming cats
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Regarding the chasing - I`d arrange safety areas (baby gates atc. for now, while you`re familiarising the dog to his new life.
Re. the controversy over declawing - I`ve recently lost the top of a finger - just the nail, basically. After 6 months it is still sensitive and I get phantom feelings - occasionally it feels like I`ve got something under my (non-existant ) nail, and if I touch something with it I get a sensation of extreme cold. I am quite clumsy with it and can`t grasp properly with one hand.
I would imagine the cat is similarly inconvenienced, but can`t express it. Animals are hard-wired to mask pain or distress as it lessens their chance of survival.
I understand it is an accepted practice - but so is chopping ears and tails off certain breeds. Maybe time to challenge it?
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5