View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Cant believe anyone would have the claws surgically removed from their pets, its absolutely disgraceful!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I dont agree with it, but it's a cultural thing

In America, people like to make their cats live indoors, whether they like it or not, whereas other here, we prefer to let them out to live a natural life, unless the cat prefers to be indoors.
Indoor cats are unusual in the UK, and are usually indoors because they live right on a dangerous road, or they are frightened, or they are elderly, ill, infirm, or disabled, or most often the case, have FIV.
i

Thus, because it's more normal for Americans to want cats to live indoors, they declaw them to prevent the inevitable damage an indoor cat will do in the home.
In America, they even have cat day care centres when people go to work, and these centres prefer your cats declawed.
But in America, they also debark dogs and crate them 9 to 5, again to meet human lifestyle requirements

I guess, over here, we prefer to work form the basis of the animal's instinct, and move on from there to varying degrees.

But then again, we can be weird, and complain when dogs live outside!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
In America, people like to make their cats live indoors, whether they like it or not, whereas other here, we prefer to let them out to live a natural life, unless the cat prefers to be indoors.
Indoor cats are unusual in the UK, and are usually indoors because they live right on a dangerous road, or they are frightened, or they are elderly, ill, infirm, or disabled, or most often the case, have FIV.
i

Thus, because it's more normal for Americans to want cats to live indoors, they declaw them to prevent the inevitable damage an indoor cat will do in the home.
In America, they even have cat day care centres when people go to work, and these centres prefer your cats declawed.
But in America, they also debark dogs and crate them 9 to 5, again to meet human lifestyle requirements

I guess, over here, we prefer to work form the basis of the animal's instinct, and move on from there to varying degrees.

Its not cultural, its "convienient"

I dont live on a dangerous road, my Cats dont have FIV, none of them are ill, and 3 of them are young. They dont go off my property because its responsible to them and other people.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2009, 08:48 PM
..........????
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

i

People have indoor cats here too in the UK, they dont go round declawing them just to keep furniture safe or the off chance they should scratch a baby.

It may aslo coma as a surprise , but thousands of people with young children who also own cats.. and they get a long very well without mutilating the cats , just in case they dare get near a child.

Re the debarking and such.. why dont peopel just get stuffed toy cats or dogs, then they can sit in the window sill , just looking the part , without any of the nastiness that goes with living creatures
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Perhaps we should start "de-toothing" in case a dog bites somebody too!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Perhaps we should start "de-toothing" in case a dog bites somebody too!!
Yep, you never know ...lets cover all eventualities
MyBostonBoy
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Well everyone I think this needs to stop. We need to agree that we are all different and therefore the way we think is different.

Lots of people declaw their cats. If you don't feel that is humane, all you can do is educate people and explain in a neutral manner why you think that. Going around telling people such as myself that I am a cruel and irresponsible cat owner because I declawed my cat is NOT the best way to teach me. It makes me lean more towards my side of the debate. It doesn't do you a bit of good to say such things to someone who doesn't share your opinions. It makes it worse.

Thank you to those of you who offered advice for my little dog. I appreciate it!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by MyBostonBoy View Post
Well everyone I think this needs to stop. We need to agree that we are all different and therefore the way we think is different.

Lots of people declaw their cats. If you don't feel that is humane, all you can do is educate people and explain in a neutral manner why you think that. Going around telling people such as myself that I am a cruel and irresponsible cat owner because I declawed my cat is NOT the best way to teach me. It makes me lean more towards my side of the debate. It doesn't do you a bit of good to say such things to someone who doesn't share your opinions. It makes it worse.

Thank you to those of you who offered advice for my little dog. I appreciate it!
Please point out where I aid you were cruel or irresponsible? I said I cant believe anyone would have their cats claws surgically removed, its disgraceful and it is!

Perhaps if your dog had its teeth removed, it wouldnt matter if he caught your Cat!!! I hope your "little dog" is OK, its your little Cat I feel sorry for, have you any idea what damage declawing can do to an animal? Why did you have such a thing done?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its not cultural, its "convienient"

I dont live on a dangerous road, my Cats dont have FIV, none of them are ill, and 3 of them are young. They dont go off my property because its responsible to them and other people.
this confused me, as i thought i basically said the same thing?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >