View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2008, 12:22 PM
That's great Lara! Sounds like you've made alot of progress in the last day or so. I'm really happy that Bailey is starting to settle down. Good luck with everything and don't forget to let us know how you're all getting on.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2008, 12:23 PM
excellent news, progress is being made....sounds like anxiety to me
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Well done
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that things continue to improve
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Thank you.

Both Bailey and I slept for most of the morning (me on the sofa, her on her bed!) so we're going to have some dinner now and another sleep this afternoon no doubt!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2008, 12:36 PM
It sounds like you sound a bit happier Lara as does Bailey.
The SA can be improved with time and patience and is sort of inevitable. I would try a kong or buster cube for her. Put something really tasty and easy to remove in first and see how she goes. It could be just the thing. I suspect she won't have had one before.

Have a trawl through the many threads on here about separation anxiety too.
One important thing to remember is not to reinforce her 'worry' at all when people leave the house. Best tot totally ignore her, no reassurance, as to her that is telling ehr there is something to worry about. It seems mean but it really is the best thing for her (and for you in the long run).
Glad things seems a bit easier for you and her and for your OH of course.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2008, 12:44 PM
So glad things might be settling down, and glad you've got that lady coming on Sunday. I got it all wrong, coz I thought Bailey was the choccy lab, and then when I read the last posts I realised she's a gsd. You never know Lara, this poor girl might have been moved from home to home, everybody just wanting to get rid of her because of her bad habit (which can be sorted, honest!)plus this type of dog does not like being left alone, UNLESS, it feels safe and secure and confident that their beloved owner WILL be coming home, so I quite understand why she's behaving like she is when one of you disappears, that's just them! Hopefully, when she's settled in and realises you will always come home, things will be just great, but for the moment, I'm glad she's enjoying your company and you even sound like you're bonding with her! I had the very same thing with my current Georgie, even though he had the company of another gsd who knew I would be home, and I strongly suspect this poor dog has been shoved from pillar to post and really needs to settle down properly somewhere just like your home, and then, you will see a dramatic change I'm sure of it. I wish you all the very best and will have everything x'd for you for Sunday too, let's hope that lady turns it all around for you, and I have great faith that she will! Awwwww, you do sound a lot better than what I was reading yesterday, although I haven't read all the middle bit of this yet!!! Take care and good luck!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Lara, I'm so pleased to hear that you are sounding more chirpy and relaxed. This must help Bailey to know you are feeling better.
Good luck for Sunday, we will all be thinking of you.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I am so pleased that you have the lady coming to see you on Sunday. And that your posts sound a bit more optimistic today. And apart from the uncomfiness you had a bit of a better night.

It might be really hard but when one of you leaves, eg your OH goes to work, try to not "expect" anxious behaviour as she, being really still stressed and scared, will pick up every little change.

Some might disagree but what about trying to find what her fav tasty treat is and putting it in a Kong, and then when anyone leaves the downstairs or the house giving the kong so she begins to associate good things with you leaving. It may be too early to start this what do others think?

Also as mentioned no fuss when you leave, hard as it will be not even you syaing to her something like"it's ok daddy's gone to work" just ignore her wherever possible, and the same when your OH comes back, for the first few minutes, hard as it will be, no big fuss.

Its good that she seems to be settling a bit and once you can convince her that you are there I am sure you will have a very loyal friend. Sounds like she needs time, love without fuss, and patience.

I really hope this works out for Bailey and for you and thanks for the update
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2008, 02:10 PM
So pleased its getting easier - good luck for Sunday!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Sounds like you are a lot happer . Well done for sticking with it - just wanted to wish you all the best for sunday and look forward to updates.
Page 12 of 18 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »