Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 08:39 PM
whippet, staffy?
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Ooh Welsh Springer there's an idea. OH loves that idea (being of the celtic persuasion himself!!).

Lots of food for thought guys thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Ooh Welsh Springer there's an idea. OH loves that idea (being of the celtic persuasion himself!!).

Lots of food for thought guys thanks
Harry Morganstar has lovely Welsh Springers
I am sure she would be a good person to ask for advice...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=56500
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi,
What about a Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
They are low maintainance grooming wise,1-2 hours exercise,love been part of a family.Infact they love nothing better than sitting or lying infront of the fire!
Loving loyal family orientated dogs.
greysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Why not have a look round some rescue kennels? You might find the dog chooses you and OH!!
You can get breed rescue as well. Pups really need someone around with them all day, so might be better to go for a slightly older dog. Some are in rescue through nofault of their own. (Marraige break ups etc.)
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 12:25 AM
I find Welshies a lot less manic than English and easier to live with. Having said that there the original velcrow dog and dont cope with been left alone for long periods as there usually attached at the hip.
I find with regards to exersize they do as little or as less as you want. Whilst the appreciate a good run mine have been happy playing in the garden all day whilst I've been house bound with the litter.
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Aw Morganstar you have some gorgeous dogs!!! Gah my 'shortlist' now has about 5 serious contenders and the longlist even more.......wah I want about 6 dogs lol!!! How are welshies at agility? When you say they don't do well left alone, how badly - perhaps it might be a better idea as a second dog in the future?

greysmum I am a big rescue fan (have done a small amount of rescue work with rodents, most of my own pets are rescue) but I'm not 100% on rescue for this first dog of mine & my partners - breed rescue perhaps. I will probably look at local rescues near the time & contact breed rescues with an open mind.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Welshie are ok left for a while but there not a dog for someone whos out at work all day. Although two dogs together seem to be ok and keep each other company.
http://www.wsscsw.freeserve.co.uk/main.htm
http://www.wsscsw.freeserve.co.uk/main.htm

You'll find articles and pictures of Welshies doing agilty on here,
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks morganstar some great agility action shots on there!

I don't really think any dog should be left all day though?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
whippet, staffy?
Snap - they were gonna be my suggestions... Whippets from what i understand love a run for about 20mins and then crash out...staffies, i am very biased but theya re fab and can be good with small furries if taught to be... but as with any dog i wouldnt leave unattended - china is occasionally left for upto 8-9 hours (when unavoidable and always get plenty of attention and affection and apologies when we return!!) and she is fine - in fact the bed obtains a nice warm spot from where she has slept all day!!!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >