View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I tried that breed thing and most of them on the list are crosses, I asked for purebred only. One was an American Lo-Sze Pugg
Becky
potstillgold
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Harry!

Well if you got eighty hits (even after disregarding the more dubious and inconspicuous breeds) you should be assured that your choice is not quite as limited as you may have first guessed.

It will certainly pay to have a [very short] list. Moreover, if there are a couple of more common breeds involved you might alway keep an eye on regional rescues......

Another thing you may wish to consider and there will certainly comments and opinions from people on the forum, is getting two dogs rather than one. Two dogs are not anymore trouble than one, although the work goes up exponentially with three or more: two dogs affords company when you have to be out of the home which will certainly ease frustration and boredom issues for most breeds from puppy through adolescence.

Cheers,

Neil
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Harry - all the best with your research. At this rate it could take you a lifetime! One of the things you must keep in mind is the length of time your dog would be left alone. Some breeds can't thrive under these circumstances so that would have to be taken into consideration.
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I know! It won't be till 2008 that this dog arrives anyway but good thing I started thinking about it now, everytime I come back to it I have a longer list than when I started lol.

I won't know about length of time left alone until we move - however if it was more than a morning/an afternoon tbh I don't think it'd be fair on any dog really, I don't think I could leave a dog all day.

I will definitely have 2 dogs (or more) eventually - but I wouldn't want to get 2 dogs together at the same time, I think it'll be enough of a challenge to bond/train with one at a time especially if it's a puppy. Once the pup is say 2 yrs + then I'd think about a second. I always thought the standard advice was to not get two dogs at the same time?

Of course that'd be different if I went for an adult rescue - but I'd still want to bond/train the one dog first I think. Another thing is that my OH isn't a doggy person - never had dogs growing up or anything, this will be his first dog (although it will be my dog, obviously he is living in the house too) - I think one at a time will be easier on him too.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Vicki - it wasn't one thing in particular but a few little things, I'm not that keen on akitas (admittedly that's based on meeting badly bred, badly trained akitas) and they remind me a bit much of them, obviously being quite related
I'm not an Akita fan either Harry, but I know so little about them that I'd better not comment. Don't know what it is that puts me off - they're just not the dog for me. Just in case you'd like to see some "domestic" shiba's, here are my three:

Lennon - 2 years old in October 2006 - colour-red sesame:

...and in his favourite spot...

Mya (Lennon's mum) - 4 years old in October 2006 - colour-red and white:

I also have a black and tan bitch, Roxy, who will be 11 in March. She's hefty due to being hypo-thyroid, but still adorable :

....and she always closes her eyes when I use the flash!

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Got to recommend my breed. JSI's are easy to train, can be left alone, enjoy a decent walk, but don't need hours and hours, and I'm sure would enjoy agility. Look them up!

This was the breed that sprung to mind for me when I read the first post, stunning big dogs in a very well put together small body
For a small breed, they are more than capable of agility and so on, and they look classy also, I would love one!!! one day eh hopefuly I will get one,
Or what about a lancashire heeler(sp)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2007, 06:12 PM
[quote=Mahooli;891512]Westies, cairns and skyes are not low maintenance on the grooming front! In fact most wire haired breeds need to be groomed regularly and you will have a nice layer of hair al around the house.

do cairns and skyes cast badly?
I thought you needed to strip them by hand or the hair just grows and grows, never new the casted badly
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Well it's been a few months, I've now landed a job starting in July and we'll be moving to rented at first, but looking to buy probably in the next 12 months, once we have our own place it'll be time for a dog!!!

I have an issue now though - my job will require me to work 4 days per week, 8.30am-7pm. This is going to make things difficult dog-wise. I could walk the dog first thing before work, and hopefully also return home at lunchtime, and bring the dog into work for the afternoons. It could have its own crate/bed in an office (again, hopefully) and there is a secure yard, and people around all the time. For my day off obviously I'd be around all day. My OH might be home a few days too making things easier. The area has some fantastic walking and easy access to the brecon beacons for longer hikes on days off. There's also an agility club in the town we're moving to

If the dog couldn't come to work, I don't really think I could have one although it has been suggested to me I look into dog walkers/sitters as well - I have no experience of this, what do people think?

I'm thinking more along the lines of young adult rescue now, have gone off terrier types slightly - they've never really been my thing, I'm just a labrador girl at heart! I wouldn't restrict myself to labs, but I think the breed needs to be a similar type/attitude. I think the JSI's suggested are absolutely stunning dogs, but I'm still just not sure they're for me, they're very different dogs to what I'm used to.

So if this update affects anyone's opinions on what breeds are best, post away!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 10:06 AM
personally i love staffordshire bull terriers

there a smallish(not the smallest) but with huge personalites
they love people,and just seem happy all the time
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 11:00 AM
what about a rescue Beardie.

my Beardie X (dont know what with) is a darling and will settle when nothing is happening but is ready to go when you are.
i know the maintenance is an issue, but a quick brush through with a pin brush every day works well.

good for agility too.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >