Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 11:12 AM

Hanging baskets/tubs

Well is anyone puttting anything new different in their hanging baskets/tubs this year?

Or if not what are you putting in? and do you colour co-ordinate your baskets
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2006, 11:20 AM
I was thinking of trying some vegetables in long tubes, like carrots, scallions etc

Heard that it can work and it would save any major effort digging up the garden!!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 02:03 PM
We might be doing cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets - done it a couple of years ago.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 02:43 PM
i have to say i cheat i buy them all ready done i wouldn have a clue other wise
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I have hanging baskets and tubs only on my patio and I've decided all the flowers in that area have to be white so I've got all sorts of white-flowering plants in those tubs. I've bought some petunias, some trailing verbenas, something I've forgotten he name of (Bacopa or something) and I've put in quite a few alyssum seeds which are just starting to show now. They look a bit bare at the moment but in a month or so they'll be full to bursting. In the past I've grown nicotinias as well and they smell beautiful in the evening. I've also planted some seeds of night-scented phlox but they don't seem to have come up yet. If you're growing near the house I'd recommend night scented stock because the smell is so wonderful in the summer evenings. They're really easy to grow from seed too.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 04:16 PM
I haven't a clue whats going in mine this year - my o/h is a gardener so he does it - it was nice and colourful last year though.

This was it last year

and one of the tubs

Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I like having Teddy bear minature sunflowers in all my pots for sheer in ya face colour!

I dont have hanging baskets though cause i would never remember to water em'.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I like having Teddy bear minature sunflowers in all my pots for sheer in ya face colour!

I dont have hanging baskets though cause i would never remember to water em'.

Steve I like your style mate,
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Lovely baskets Foxy! I usually do my own, but last year I bought them, as I found a very reasonable nursery. Problem is they have to be watered twice a day and if you forget they soon dry out. There is another new compost on the market which retains moisure so I will give that a go.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I line my hanging baskets with a couple of layers of carrier bag to keep the water in and put gravel over the surface of the soil to stop evaporation. I've also got a really clever one with a built in reservoir of water underneath with a wick into the soil so it never gets dry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >