Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 08:44 AM

Why do some people have dogs??????

I'll Set the scene - where we walk china is a series of paths/fields intersected by main roads. Each section has fencing and swing gates....

We were out on our walk with china yesterday, along comes thomas (the grey whippet cross she ADORES!!!) so we stop to let them play etc and all of a sudden this Alsation cross comes bolting across the road to see us. Car slammed on doggy almost killed!!!

a few seconds later two girls about 5 yrs old come running across!!!! Its our dog they shout! WHY ON EARTH ARE 2 5yr OLDS WALKING A BIG DOG!!!!

any way they grab his collar which is way too loose and comes of him...luckiliy he ran throught the gate onto the path. i grabbed him and got his collar on...the girls then say....its ok we will take him.

So i told them they werent going anywhere with that dog and to get their parents!

other dog walkers are going past and this dog, as great as it was with me, was desparate to get to all the other dogs!

This young boy then comes up with a lead and says hes ours we'll take him, so again i said , your dog was almost roadkill!! Get your mum....

I was seething at this point!!! how could they let a dog run out into a road and have little girls walking it!!!

So up comes a woman who was sat in her car up the road....she looked familiar and came up and said "whres your staffie?" i pointed her out with OH

She then says its her friends dog and he escaped from the garden. Then comes lecture from me about recall training and proper fitting collars, kids walking dogs........and how the dog was about a meter away from being killed. Apparently she keeps telling her about training etc (i started thinking yeah right a "freinds dog!!!")

Apparently one time he got upto LANCASTER!!! (from preston its about 30mins up the motorway!) Her friend says "well at least hes getting exercise!!!

It was only later i realised that it really wasnt her dog as ive seen her walking a gorgeous black staffy! (oooops!)

Anyway, people who obvoisly have no care as to not letting their dogs loose and not even having a proper fitting collar shouldnt be allowed them in my opinion!!!!!

ARGH....ok rant over now - sorry!!!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 08:56 AM
No wonder you are cross, I would be too! There is a JR pup close by, often walked round the Close by two 5 yr olds, I think its just so irresponsible. My boys love to hold Hollie's lead, which they do - in a field, or up the garden path to the front door at the end of the walk.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2006, 09:15 AM
The owners of the GSD are probably the kind of people that will blame the driver of the car that does kill it one day....or kills one of the kids when they run out in the street to get the dog.!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 09:36 AM
it wouldnt surprise me!!!
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

18-04-2006, 09:49 AM
I believe that no child under 14 should be allowed to walk a dog....no matter what the size of the dog...........it is not always the dog on the lead that is the problem......
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2006, 09:53 AM
some people just don't derserve dogs that will never change.
i have had dogs all my life and grown up with them, my kids have too but they are never allowed out with the dogs alone.
how can caitlin @ 8 control toby ins't it common sence?
even louis @ 14 hasn't got a chance really and hes bigger than me, he just doesn't know how to handle them on a lead.
i'm glad you told them to get mum ....the owner would have got it from me too.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 09:54 AM
here here!!! they couldnt keep hold of him when he wriggled away...no control whatsoever!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by leo
some people just don't derserve dogs that will never change.

i'm glad you told them to get mum ....the owner would have got it from me too.
I acually got quite upset and was seriously considering asking to keep the dog as i know i will always worry about him now , as i know it will happen again , i just wish i couldve taken him and looked after him properly myself!

If you want a job doing properly do it yourself!!!!