Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Allergic to antibiotics

Just spent the day in A & E with my daughter who had a severe reaction to Erythromycin (alternative to penicillin as she is allergic to these too)

Now she is allergic to both I'm not really sure what would happen in the future if she had an infection & really worried.
The Dr. said there was no alternative due to what she is reacting too & they would have to treat her for the allergy at the same time as giving her antibiotics in the future which involves a large dose of steroids & antihistamines, also monitoring her breathing.
Her whole body was engulfed in a rash which then joined up, her face swelled up & her throat & tongue, this can cause anphylaxis. Luckily I recognised the rash from last time, it spreads within hours & her face & tongue were swelling up on the way to the hospital. Once treated the swelling went down quickly, but she is still covered in the rash.
She was on the antibiotics after surgery a few days ago to prevent infection, now she has to take a large dose of steroids until the rash goes, but the steroids will slow down the surgery healing process so that's worrying too.
I've never known of anybody allergic to all anti-biotics.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh Christ Suzie, you must have been worried sick seeing her like that I myself had acute anaphalactic shock with Amoxycillin, I was at death's door with the full works, including my organs shutting down by the time they got the adrenalin into me, but thankfully, with that and my body going into massive shaking syndrome, so much so that the whole bed was moving across the floor I managed to survive! It was touch and go they said, phew!

I was then petrified of taking ANY ab's, but they said Eurythomycin would be ok coz it wasn't the penicillin family. HOWEVER, my first course of these, when I get to the 3rd day, I'm sick for 15 hours, constantly heaving, Dave had to ring the quack in the middle of the night, so again, I can no longer take those.

However, I CAN still tolerate Metronidazole, although my doctor said if it came to a situation whereby the only way to save my life would be a massive dose of ab's, then Metronidazole weren't going to do much good coz they are quite limited in what they can help, so they would have to take a chance with whatever options they had, which seems to me, is the very same boat your poor daughter is in now. Not a good place to be is it Hth.xxxx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

I'm allergic to so many antibiotics I can't remember the names of half of them, I've avoided taking any at all for over 30 years now and I'm still standing. I nearly died after a penicillin shot in my 20's my airways closed and my head was swollen up like a football. I hope she feels better soon x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Your poor daughter, it must have been very frightening, good job you recognised what was going on.

I think there are still antibiotics that can be used but your doc will advise you on this.

ps, no parcel yet
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
I have anaphalactic shock to anti-biotics I have an over active immune system which attacks foreign bodies then attacks itself. (thats the best way of describing it.... if Im ill (which is rare) then I have to be given childs dose and yes it will still occur but is manageable, ask them about the lesser strength ones, they take longer to work though
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Hope your daughter is feeling better soon. Such a worry for you.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh Christ Suzie, you must have been worried sick seeing her like that I myself had acute anaphalactic shock with Amoxycillin, I was at death's door with the full works, including my organs shutting down by the time they got the adrenalin into me, but thankfully, with that and my body going into massive shaking syndrome, so much so that the whole bed was moving across the floor I managed to survive! It was touch and go they said, phew!

I was then petrified of taking ANY ab's, but they said Eurythomycin would be ok coz it wasn't the penicillin family. HOWEVER, my first course of these, when I get to the 3rd day, I'm sick for 15 hours, constantly heaving, Dave had to ring the quack in the middle of the night, so again, I can no longer take those.

However, I CAN still tolerate Metronidazole, although my doctor said if it came to a situation whereby the only way to save my life would be a massive dose of ab's, then Metronidazole weren't going to do much good coz they are quite limited in what they can help, so they would have to take a chance with whatever options they had, which seems to me, is the very same boat your poor daughter is in now. Not a good place to be is it Hth.xxxx
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'm allergic to so many antibiotics I can't remember the names of half of them, I've avoided taking any at all for over 30 years now and I'm still standing. I nearly died after a penicillin shot in my 20's my airways closed and my head was swollen up like a football. I hope she feels better soon x

Blimey! scarey stuff guys & I guess it's not that uncommon then. The Dr. did indicate that it would be better to avoid them in future unless really neccessary. They didn't actually say which "bit" she was reacting too & I know she's had them before for a sore throat since the peniclliin incident happened & been ok so I really don't get it.
It all got a bit awkward because they were treating her for the allergy, the surgery she had done was private/cosmetic & we were told we would have to consult her surgeon regarding the use of steroids slowing down the healing as they wouldn't interfere with his instructions regarding that. So I've phoned & they said yes take the steroids & keep the wound dry & dressed to avoid infection & they will see her for her follow up next week as planned. I think the wound is healing ok although she is in a lot of pain now & the rash isn't helping so I'm not over worried about that although
she has to take a antihistamine & 8 steroid tablets at once each morning!
More worried about future illness & just want to wrap her in cotton wool!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Your poor daughter, it must have been very frightening, good job you recognised what was going on.

I think there are still antibiotics that can be used but your doc will advise you on this.

ps, no parcel yet

geee so sorry Jen, I forgot!! It's in my car with my son's passport renewal (he won't be happy)
Post it on Monday promise xxx

yes I thought there were all different types with different ingredients in. They did blood tests on her, maybe we should see our own GP for a bit more clarification.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I have anaphalactic shock to anti-biotics I have an over active immune system which attacks foreign bodies then attacks itself. (thats the best way of describing it.... if Im ill (which is rare) then I have to be given childs dose and yes it will still occur but is manageable, ask them about the lesser strength ones, they take longer to work though
Thanks, that sounds a bit more positive, she's so blooming "happy go lucky" she kept whining in the hospital that she wanted to come home & go out for fireworks party! I had to put my foot down with a firm hand - but she was so drugged up she fell asleep when she got home, just woke now & I'm cooking her some food then gonna lock her in
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Garlic is a natural antibiotic. I used it myself when I had some sort of infection. The dentist refused to treat it as it wasn't dental, the doctors insisted it was dental because the right side of my face had swollen up so terribly and they also refused to treat it despite me being in a hell of a lot of pain. Being desperate I googled natural remedies and came across it. Probably not going to do much against a life threatening infection but might be something to consider for lesser things that docs usually give antibiotics for.

I hope your daughter feels better soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >