View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2007, 08:52 AM
its why I do not do as much breeding as I would really like to,mine are my pets first and foremost,and I would rather not breed than have to do this to free up space,I know a lot of breeders do this,with their oldies or non breeders,kind of like they are wasting space which could house another winning more profitable animal,I sort of see their point,but its definitely not something I would/could do,I only ever once rehomed an older bitch,I knew where she was going,still see her almost daily,the only reason I did this was she and her mother absolutely hated each other so the daughter went,I did not sell her,she is still mine on paper,so as if ever she had to be rehomed she will defo come back to me,but my gosh it was really hard letting her go,but two adult Mastiffs fighting is truly awful,and they do not give up easily,so we tried for a while keeping them seperate,but it was always a lot of growling,etc,
Wendy
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
When it comes to the end of their showing or breeding career, I think rehoming them to a loving family home environment is far, far better than keeping them to live out their days in kennels.

Debs

IMO, that makes said dog sound like a tool.
Once it's had it's uses, get rid of it.

Why can't they live out their days in the loving family home it was brought up in, and is familiar with.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I have two eight month old pups I'm "running" on a the moment, unfortunatly one might have to go free to a good home eventually. Its heartbreaking but I just havent got the room and I want to keep a puppy out of the litter I bred myself.
If it does go it will be rehomed through WSS rescue as all the homes are vetted and we insist they make a donation to the charity.
Hopefully we'll find a way to keep them both but too be honest this is common practise, it doesnt mean we dont love out dogs.
Having said that I could never rehome one of my older dogs.

surely as the breeder of these pups it is your responsibility to find and vet the potential homes for this pup should it be surplus to your requirements?
Breed rescues have enough strain on resources without doing what breeders ought to be doing for themselves
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

23-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Could lead to a heartbroken dog/bitch. Still they know their business best. I couldn't be a breeder myself as I couldn't bear to part with pups!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
IMO, that makes said dog sound like a tool.
Once it's had it's uses, get rid of it.

Why can't they live out their days in the loving family home it was brought up in, and is familiar with.
Some breeders view dogs as 'tools' and a means to an end, - it really isnt a whole lot different to how we have read of working collies being passed on (no offence to the collie folks).

I doubt that many dogs kept for breeding in kennels, and passed on once their breeding days are over, are terribly familiar with 'family life'. That isnt to say they arent cared for an appreciated, but few are likely to enjoy what we might consider family living.

In my opinion it is much better that a dog is placed where it can enjoy a 'retirement' where it will be loved and can enjoy what we find more acceptable for our companions.
madaboutwelsh
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Im surprised WSS resuce will let you do that? Would you not be able to find him/her a suitable home yourself? Your gonna get so attached to the little one, i bet you dont part with him/her LOL
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
Some breeders view dogs as 'tools' and a means to an end, - it really isnt a whole lot different to how we have read of working collies being passed on (no offence to the collie folks).

No offence taken but I do disagree in the case of a working collie. Once the dog has worked. It's all it lives for. If it can't carry out the work because of age and location, it is the kindest thing in this case to rehome to a working location which is less strenuous on the dog. Otherwise the dog will very quickly go stir crazy. Yes there is a bond between owner and dog but the dogs loyalty is more to the work and the owner, that's why a working collie will in the main work for anyone, not just the owner, it doesn't care, it just wants to be out doing it's stuff.
That is why a lot of the collie rescues will only rehome working dogs to working homes. It couldn't cope in a home environment with a family. It has to work.

Also a lot of dogs live in kennels as opposed to in the house because alot of dogs prefer it outside. I know of someone who kennels all her dogs (Akitas) outside of an evening. They are in the house during the day etc. but these dogs get to a point in the evening, where they want to be outside as it's cooler for them (being triple coated)
A fried of mine who has border collies. Has some in kennels and some inside. Nothing to do with breeding (although they do come in to whelp) The dogs in the main prefer to be outside with the others rather than being in the house.
I personally feel where you have a situation where you have a lot of kennels, the dogs are not part of the family and do not have interaction with the family on a daily basis, then that is where you have turned your dogs into a business not in to a member of the family.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 11:00 AM
In my opinion it is much better that a dog is placed where it can enjoy a 'retirement' where it will be loved and can enjoy what we find more acceptable for our companions.
Yep - definitely agree with this.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
No offence taken but I do disagree in the case of a working collie. Once the dog has worked. It's all it lives for. If it can't carry out the work because of age and location, it is the kindest thing in this case to rehome to a working location which is less strenuous on the dog. Otherwise the dog will very quickly go stir crazy. Yes there is a bond between owner and dog but the dogs loyalty is more to the work and the owner, that's why a working collie will in the main work for anyone, not just the owner, it doesn't care, it just wants to be out doing it's stuff.
That is why a lot of the collie rescues will only rehome working dogs to working homes. It couldn't cope in a home environment with a family. It has to work.
But that might also be argued for breeding 'stock'? Once the dog or bitch has outlived it usefulness, it is passed on...

I guess people can pretty up any excuse for passing a dog on, in order to salve their egos (not directed at anyone here I hasten to add, but in general terms), because much as we would like to think so, the dog wont be as 'upset' as we might like to think they would be!

Personally I dont find anything much wrong with it, and think it is is much better that the dog (whether it be working, breeding stock, or pet) go into an environment where it will live out the rest of its days where it is wanted for itself, than it languished in a kennel, tethered to a barrel on a farm, or locked in a utility room.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 11:12 AM
I agree with this statement, but WHY should a dog have to endure years of sub-standard living, just producing pups, before they get this level of enjoyment out of life? This is why I wouldn't touch these breeders with a barge-pole, no dog should be used for breeding in this way
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »