Male 

03-08-2011, 11:27 AM

No walk or a walk in the heat ??

What would you do ?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
On days like this I look at my OS map and find a walk beside a river or stream, one that I know has access points so Merlin can cool himself off.

Quite often that means taking a bus to get there and back, but it's worth it, just for a safe walk with shade and water (and I love getting out in the sun myself!).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
As in the hottest parts of the day, on a day like to today (in the South East anyway)? then no, absolutely not.

Walk early in the morning or late in the evening -- problem solved.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Nope, I dont take mine out in heat like this. I might take them just over the neighbouring fields next to the river so they can stretch their legs and go to the loo. I dont enjoy being out in this heat and neither do my dogs.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
even 10 till 1130 was was to hot for them today ..
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Its too hot here at the moment.... our house is amazingly cool. I won't walk Jin till later this evening but we have plenty to do in the house and the door is open to the garden. I can only imagine walking her in the heat would add more stress which isnt desireable.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I'd rather them go without than walk in heat. Mine don't tolerate heat that well - we went out the other month and it got hotter earlier than expected and despite constant breaks in water for them to paddle in, Kiki got a bit of a funny tummy from the heat. Kiki struggles because she's got a black coat and Casper struggles with his thick coat. In this sort of weather (really warm down here at the moment) it's a walk first thing (was nice and grey this morning) and a late walk if it's cooled down enough. Sometimes it's not even that cool even late at night though and I don't feel guilty missing a walk. Mine don't get walked on a really strict regime specifically so they don't go nuts when we don't walk, we'll just stick to brain training and some light playing in the shady bit of the garden (and filling up their little pool for a splash about), and they cope fine with this.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
No walk....... until it's much cooler later on
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Went out about 7am this morning - was nice then but starting to get hot about 8.30ish when we were drifting back.

Just popped out into the garden to do a quick 5 minutes of "this is your name dear doggy" with Nancy (without Layton bowling up to us grinning in a "I could still be Nancy" way like in that TV show) and it's unbearable out there. Can't see us getting out this evening at all TBH which I feel guilty as sin for but still.

Considering butchering every white towel in the house to attempt to make some of those cool off coats I keep seeing online (sure it would be a relatively straightfoward make if I could be bothered to!)
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »