Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
buzzword
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2015, 04:55 PM

New Puppy and Older Dog

Hi everyone, I'm back to Dogsey with my new pointer puppy who is settling in OK, and our existing Labrador is very tolerant. The problem is the little one keeps wanting to sleep on the big dog's bed. He will also go on his own bed and so far is OK with being in the crate. Big dog just looks fed up about the little one being on her bed, but does not try to shift him or to join him. Do I need to stop the pup getting on there? I'm worried that if I shift him every time, as I am doing, I just create the attention and a response that he will get to like. Any advice gratefully received.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Hi Charlotte,

You'll probably get a several different responses to your question but I believe they will sort this out for themselves, it seems obvious but dogs are not humans therefore emotions like jealosy and envy do not enter their thought processes. Plus if our two are anything to go by they will sleep wherever they find that they need a nap, in our case I've seen both of them lying on hard tarmac when there is soft grass and even a nice old duvet within yards of where they are lying
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Remember he's used to sleeping with his mum and siblings, not used to having to sleep on his own, like Harvey says, I'd leave them to it. Your older dog will make it very clear if its not to his liking I assure you
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Your older dog will make it very clear if its not to his liking I assure you
Yes, I forgot to mention that. When / if that happens puppy will obey 'cos the hierachy is important to them.
buzzword
New Member!
Female 

04-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot of common sense in what you're saying. I'll just leave them to it - I suppose as long as there's no actual fighting and the pup also goes in his crate OK then it's not the end of the world. Honestly!!Why can't the pup read the manual?
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by buzzword View Post
Honestly!!Why can't the pup read the manual?
How much easier life would be!

I have several dog beds around the house and its first come , first served with my two. Sometimes they just curl up together.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by buzzword View Post
Honestly!!Why can't the pup read the manual?
Frustrating isn't it I know you wrote that in jest but as I said before it's important not to look at dogs like little humans, we can't ever really know everything they are thinking 'cos like you say they can't read, but they are intelligent and they have many 'senses' we don't so that makes them special in my book
buzzword
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Yes I know what you're saying. My daughter is a bit more insightful that I am maybe - she's suggesting that in the matter of big dog's stuff, she only thinks of it as "hers" when she's using it. There may be something in that.

Anyway I have provided more beds & blankets in several spots and we'll see how it goes. Just so long as little nipper is also OK in the crate.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2015, 09:17 PM
I'd probably just buy another big bed so they each have one. Ha!

I think others are right, they'll mostly work it out. I have a Lab and two cats, and my cats like to steal the "big beds" from my dog. Instead of snapping at them or growling, my dog just goes and curls up on the smaller bed.

You could try calling the puppy to you and rewarding him for sit or down for a moment to give your older dog a chance to claim the bed back.