register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Female 

21-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Inter-dog aggression - can it ever be solved?

Been a while since I've visited, really hoping for some assurance this will get better with time...! Has anyone had success rehabilitating older dogs who seem unable to share their living space with others?

I've got stair gates everywhere to keep them safe without keeping them totally separate, we go on walks all together twice a day, during which the antagonist will walk very nicely, will even sniff the odd bin alongside the others. But back home it's impossible to integrate him properly he's very defensive and vocal with it!

He is able to spend time indoors with my older bitch, it's the two year old he can't seem to cope with. She is much bigger than him however, which I know is part of it as he'd never met a dog bigger than him previously.

He is only with me because he had nowhere else to go. There is a breed rescue, who I will get in touch with if we've not seen any improvement within 6 months. I guess I just wanted to know if I'm banging my head against a brick wall with this situation, or if there could be a wee speck of light at the end of the tunnel?

Sorry for the huge ramble, thanks for reading
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
it's the two year old he can't seem to cope with. She is much bigger than him however, which I know is part of it as he'd never met a dog bigger than him previously.
You don't say how old he is but it might just possibly be the younger girl is looking to take over the role of 'pack leader' which he currently is.

I'm well aware not everyone subscribes to this theory but I have seen it working with Baruska and Rianna and I also believe it's the only time when dogs will be really aggressive to one another (as opposed to just discipling)

Personally I wouldn't think it's her size which is causing the problem, humans don't like people much bigger than they are but I don't believe dogs think in that way.

What's the answer, sorry I don't have one, your breed rescue may be able to help 'tho. Don't have to wait six months, ring them now.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2015, 12:35 PM
I dont have answer either. Even if I knew the full history and had enough knowledge, it would be too risky to advise you.

Have you thought of consulting a behaviourist? They are a great help if you find the right one.
Female 

21-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks for replying both of you, I don't know how old he is for certain, going by his teeth he looks 4ish, but he does have mild cataracts so could be older. He is a neutered Malamute. The bitch he has issues with is just turned two. She is a Dane, and definitely thinks she's the boss dog.

He's only been with us since mid August, I know from experience rehabilitating a fear reactive dog is a long, arduous process, but have had success in the past. But that was aggression towards strange dogs outside the home, not like this

My gut says he will never like her, but can learn to tolerate her. I suppose I just wanted.to know if anyone else had been in a similar situation.
Female 

21-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
your breed rescue may be able to help 'tho. Don't have to wait six months, ring them now.
Quite right, I will ring them once I'm home. Sinking feeling there'll be a stairgate on every door forever though.....
Garnie
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2015, 01:36 PM
I don't know if I can contribute usefully but I saw on TV within the last few months a programme in which a couple were trying to keep 2 fighting GSDs in one house (I think it was the secret life of Dogs or some similar title on C4). One of the points raised was that the fact that they were always smelling the presence of the other it was actually keeping them more hyped up so they were permanently on the edge of going over threshold. The advice to the owners was to keep them more apart and they did calm down a lot. I'm thinking that perhaps having yours seeing one another may be adding to your problem.

I have just been reading Dogs the Fight and Bite by David Ryan, really would suggest you look at a copy. I attended one of his lectures last year too. His approach is very helpful and practical. I think you may need some real-life help where someone can come in and have a look at the situation.

I will look and see if I can find the programme and either give you details or a link if it is available on 'Catch up'
Garnie
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2015, 04:48 PM
The TV programme was Dogs: Their Secret Lives Series 2 episode 1 German shepherds Tasha and Kes's owners have to lead separate lives to keep their battling dogs apart .. more
Female 

21-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2015, 07:04 PM
I would consult both a behaviorist and a trainer. If your boy is only around four he still might not be set in his ways. I don't really have any advice. Sophie is intensely dog aggressive. Somehow we just lucked out that she's okay with Callie. Wish you the best though.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2015, 06:54 AM
Garnie, Dogs is brilliant, I wonder if they are available on DVD?

David Ryan is good too. I have his book Dog secrets.

Karma, it must be very difficult for you. I hope you get more replies from people who have this problem with their dogs .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >