Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Furmom84
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2015, 02:20 AM

How can I get his mind off food?

I have a lab (just over 12 weeks) of course he is obsessed with food. He has learned he needs to sit when we are putting his bowl down, but he only will sit for a quick second and then lunges towards his food and eats at lightning speed. We had something that stuck to the bottom of his bowl to slow him down, but he quickly learned how to unstick it from the bottom. Now we have a slow feed bowl with a hump in the middle but he still can eat very fast from it, I wish I got a different slow feed bowl. Anyway how can I get him to sit still and acknowledge me (or whoever is feeding him) and sit until he's given the ok to eat?

When I'm working on training he will sit, lay down, and leave it, but it's hard to get him to do anything other than sit, if there isn't food involved. He is also more worried about his treat than his trick, and he grabs fingers/hands often when he takes his treat.
Any advice you have is welcome!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2015, 05:19 AM
It sounds to me as if he is very hungry. Labs do like their food but he sounds as though he isn't getting enough. Do you weigh his food? Also does it suit him? By this I mean does it sustain him long enough between meals? Instead of treats for training use a ball, so that when he does something correctly he gets to play for a minute or two with the ball. Have two so that you can get the one back if he doesn't give it up happily just by showing him the other one or throw a treat on the floor to get the ball back. Keep a lead on him to pick up to save your fingers at this stage of training. Hope that helps.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2015, 06:11 AM
Personally I have never ever used treats or food to train or reward. Collie was food obsessed having been all but starved her first five years and it was hard at times. With both dogs, praise and patting has been the reward. Can you slowly change the reward system? He is still a baby and maybe needs more smaller feeds? So young still.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-07-2015, 09:02 AM
He's only 12 weeks, of course he's hungry. No point in making life a misery for yourselves. Mine learn about waiting for food when they're a bit older than that, and I can leave everyone's food out on top where they could reach it if they want to, but they know not to till I put it down. I concentrate on other training, he is doing exceptionally well for his age anyway, I think you're expecting a lot from a baby. Would you expect the same from a 3 month old child I wonder.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2015, 10:21 AM
It sounds to me like he's a 12 week old puppy, train him to wait longer, if he goes to lunge just say ahah and hold your hand up. If him scoffing bothers you and he's fed kibble just sprinkle some on the floor, do away with the bowl, when he;s eaten that sprinkle some more etc etc.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Try asking him sit for a few seconds before you put the bowl of food down in front of him .
Its a big ask to make a young hungry pup wait when his food is in front of him.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-07-2015, 01:04 PM
how often and how much are you feeding him?
Furmom84
New Member!
Female 

15-07-2015, 08:54 PM
He gets 1 cup, 3 times a day. Which is right according to the bag of food. He also gets treats. He is not starved, he has gained 7lbs in 4 weeks.
Furmom84
New Member!
Female 

15-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
He's only 12 weeks, of course he's hungry. No point in making life a misery for yourselves. Mine learn about waiting for food when they're a bit older than that, and I can leave everyone's food out on top where they could reach it if they want to, but they know not to till I put it down. I concentrate on other training, he is doing exceptionally well for his age anyway, I think you're expecting a lot from a baby. Would you expect the same from a 3 month old child I wonder.
No need to be rude. Babies and puppies are NOT the same. My children were fed on demand any time they were hungry, they learned their mommy was there to take care of their needs. if my puppy was fed everything he showed interest in food he would eat constantly and be over weight, and learn he could get away with begging for food! I'm sure my puppy was nursed on demand by his mother, and if you want to compare him to being human, since he's done nurse he's about the age of a toddler, and needs to be taught patience and manners.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2015, 09:39 PM
June wasn't being rude but passing on her experience having reared litters I think she knows what she is talking about.

It takes time to train them to wait when putting food down if you are persistent with the training they eventually get it.
12 weeks is young they haven't left their mum and siblings for that long to learn new ways.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >