Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
First things first DON'T use a dummy, it is fab that your not so please don't start, I hate the things with a passion and are for lazy parents IMO
!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...risk-90pc.html

but thanks for calling me lazy
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Hope you have more success than I did with my daughter .
She refused point blank to take a bottle .
My son however changed over no problem .
I for one do not think to give a baby a dummy means you are lazy .
I would have given my babies them gladly if they would have taken them .
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
HI Anne-Theresa When baby sitting I bottle feed my granddaughter Hannah with her Mummy's expressed breast milk . She is now three months old and I have been doing this since she was 8 weeks old . I did the same with the twins now 18 months old, Hannah is easy, the twins were more difficult .

A few observations I hope they are not too 'obvious' . I always try to hold baby in the same position she would be in when breast feeding and I squirt a little milk from the bottle into her mouth so she gets the taste and knows milk is available. Milk temperature is important too for some babies, it needs to be just right and the teat needs to be positioned correctly on top of the tongue and far enough back in the mouth. I gently stroke the baby's chin with one finger while feeding too.

Breast fed babies seem to get used to milk arriving with a certain amount of pressure, it the teat has the 'wrong' sizes hole and the the milk is delivered too slowly that can upset a baby too, teat type is trial and error

The other thing is keep calm don't stress, I sing softly while feeding and this seems to help . Good luck

ETA none of the babies have dummies...
Some great advice here.

I never had any problems switching, or going between the two. Both mine never seemed to care how they got milk as long as they got it regularly. I'm not sure if the dummy would make a difference? I used a dummy with my daughter but she ditched it herself after a couple of weeks. My son had one for 5 months, when I stopped it. We did it cold turkey and after a day or two, he wasn't bothered. I always said I'd never use a dummy but it had its uses and definitely wasn't/isn't an excuse for laziness.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2011, 04:10 PM
First things first DON'T use a dummy, it is fab that your not so please don't start, I hate the things with a passion and are for lazy parents IMO

!!
Sorry what a ridiculously outlandish statement to make

I am one of those lazy parents who gave my children a dummy, and it saved my sanity too.

I also recommended a fried do the same when her first born was driving her to the brink of insanity , as he would not sleep.

Being a parent yourself, surely you understand that not all babies follow text books, and for many parents they have to use what ever tools they have at hand to help them and their babies get through those extremely difficult times of being a new parent.

Just what a new parent needs to hear when they are struggling to cope with a crying baby, and have found a comforter in a dummy, is to be labeled " LAZY"!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone But it just totally sickens me when I see tiny babies crying and they just get a dummy shoved into their mouths, too me it does seem like a lazy option, there is no contact or talking to the baby, just a hasty 'shut it up' action I am sure there are parents out there who don't use dummy's in such a way and so I apologise for tarring you all with the same brush

Oh and as for the cot death research, that was very interesting, it won't get me to change my mind about using a dummy though, besides which all my 3 slept on their tummy's from day one

ETA: Just for the record my eldest didn't sleep through the night until she was 18 months old, not once did I consider using a dummy, depsite it being a very difficult time for me as a new parent, but again I apologise.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Hay
Agree with you onthe fact the SOME parents use the dummy to shut up babies rather than cuddles or feeding.
As for the research I spoke to the midwife in the hospital a d the research was based on babies who were given dummies then had them taken away rather than Rhodes who had dummy's Vs those who didn't so can't really generalise to the population
ATD x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone But it just totally sickens me when I see tiny babies crying and they just get a dummy shoved into their mouths, too me it does seem like a lazy option, there is no contact or talking to the baby, just a hasty 'shut it up' action I am sure there are parents out there who don't use dummy's in such a way and so I apologise for tarring you all with the same brush

Oh and as for the cot death research, that was very interesting, it won't get me to change my mind about using a dummy though, besides which all my 3 slept on their tummy's from day one

ETA: Just for the record my eldest didn't sleep through the night until she was 18 months old, not once did I consider using a dummy, depsite it being a very difficult time for me as a new parent, but again I apologise.
No worries, I think, what this proves is there is no correct way to bring up a child, what works for one does not for another, some babies are contented little souls some aren`t, my daughter was not to bad, my son was a nightmare, being a new mummy and havgn a consent crying child is no fun, it wears you out both mentally and physically, my mother told me to give him a dummy, I did and never looked back, same with a friend of mine she had her firs child and was not coping, he was constantly looking for the breast, one evening after a tearful visit, I said, for goodness sake send hubby out to get a dummy, she resisted, saying the health visitor would not be happy and they had given her all sorts of warnings about this and that, I told her, look the H V does not have to sit night after night listening to a crying baby, with you getting upset and feeling a failure, she got one and never looked back, one contented baby , two very happy parents.

She has had no problems with weaning him off it, with no lasting effects.

I am sure there are poor parents everywhere using a dummy does not make them so, but sometimes using one will make life so much easier for all of you , if you need to use one, you should not be made to feel a failure because of it, same goes for breast feeding, it angers me when I hear some preaching to others they are failing baby if they don't breast feed, you have to do what is best for you all that includes baby and yourself, if your baby does not thrive on the breast, then its not the best
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I am not a fan of dummies as I think it just removes a lot of cues that babies give that you then miss.
However my main hate of dummies is the 12+ months use which is definitely used to shut the kid up! - that I do not like, it delays speech and the use of expression in my opinion and it's gotta be my pet hate when I see a wee one saying stuff and because the parent is tryIng to talk or whatever a dummy gets shoved in.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I am not a fan of dummies as I think it just removes a lot of cues that babies give that you then miss.
However my main hate of dummies is the 12+ months use which is definitely used to shut the kid up! - that I do not like, it delays speech and the use of expression in my opinion and it's gotta be my pet hate when I see a wee one saying stuff and because the parent is tryIng to talk or whatever a dummy gets shoved in.
Do you never give your kids anything to shut them up crying??

From a mother of adult children I can tell you it does NOT delay speech, or restrict any form of expression.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Do you never give your kids anything to shut them up crying??

From a mother of adult children I can tell you it does NOT delay speech, or restrict any form of expression.
IN MY OPINION, i said - i am talking about children who are learning to ask questions, saying words and yet there parents shove a dummy in. I haven't used a dummy with either kids and Luca was speaking from 18 months in proper sentences, and Lola says lots of words at 15 months, I have many friends with kids with dummies and they were all late to talk and its just another thing you have to wean them off. I personally don't like them,thats my opinion. JUst as I hate parents smoking above their babies etc.
parenting is a contentious subject, not everyone is ever going to agree, and I am not saying its bad parenting but I just don't like them.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >