Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
harleypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Smelly Puppy....

My puppy has had a couple of days of the runs and since then has had quite an aroma to him, we went to the vets today and he's got some antibiotics, so he's on the mend, but I was just wondering (might be a simple question with a simple answer) are they ever too young to have a lil shower/bath type thing? If I can give him one, what type of shampoo should I use?

Any advice will be hugely appreciated!
Thanks.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I bathed my puppy a few days after getting her once she had settled in (she stunk of wee from the kennels) I got some puppy shampoo from PAH own brand & also some puppy deodorising spray which I still use when she's a bit stinky. I don't spray it on her, I spray it on my hands & rub her over with it. It smells lovely
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Its never too soon to get your puppy used to having a bath.

We breed the occasional litter and as soon as they start getting around under their own steam at about 3 weeks they start getting dirty so they have to be bathed. Whilst they are still small enough they go in the kitchen sink and then progress to a shower in the bath. Make sure there is a bath mat to stop him slipping over and block off the length of the bath to stop him running up and down (I use an overturned washing up bowl.

Use a mild shampoo - I dilute it slightly and decant it into a squirty washing up liquid container. Start from the tail forward chatting to him and telling him how good he is. Do his head last as a wet head makes them shake.

Make sure all the shampoo is rinsed out and thoroughly towel him dry.

Good luck !!

Thalice's Mum
harleypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Cheers for the advice

I gave him a bath just now! Have to admit it wasn't his most favourite experience to date, but he was such a good boy! So he got lots of praise afterwards!

Thanks, from the owner of a now more pleasant smelling puppy