Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluebell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2008, 11:12 PM

Puppy problem.

Hi all..

I am the proud owner of an 8 week old Lhasa Apso puppy which i bought today.

She's been raised on a farm in a household with a minimum of 7 other puppies and 4 adult dogs, due to this, she smells...bad. I went to the pet shop today and bought her puppy shampoo and deodoriser. I bathed her and lathered her twice. She still smells of that not very nice doggy smell. Her breath is fine, her bottom is fine, her ears are fine and her skin looks fine. I don't know how breeders raised her because her feet were yellow from urine stains. They have luckily come off, but the smell remains.

What i really don't want is my house to smell, and when you walk out and walk back in the room you can definitely smell her.

Any ideas?

Blue.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I'd be keen to see what responses you get to this as my Spaniel often stinks. This is because in wet weather the area outside where the cat's like to pee seems to be his favourite place to lie down.

He had a small flea alergy (another issue all together) and after treatment he seemed to do well after a warm bath with a bit of dettol in.

What we did notice was an improvement in his 'smell' afterwards.

Your problem stems from 'past' conditions so I guess over time things will smell sweeter.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Sounds like her problems are the result of her upbringing. The fact she has urine stained feet means she has had quite prolonged exposure to standing in ruine. However, in time those will grow out.
The smell though could actually come from within as a result of the diet she'd been fed rather than a smell lingering on her coat. I had a dog like that and it was about 2 weeks until he stopped smelling, bathing him made no difference whatsoever.
You can buy doggie cologne to disguise the smell until it has resolved itself but make sure it is one suitable for pups.
I would also recommend bathing weekly, as your little pup is a long haired breed it would benefit her greatly when it comes to grooming time but make sure there are no knots in her coat before you bathe her.
Becky
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2008, 09:30 AM
If her feet are stained yellow, this would suggest to me that her past living conditions were not that clean, as the yellow suggest urine stains. Smell can also be due to diet...although I don't know what the puppy has been fed on. A useful thing is a dog coat spray....we use one on the girls which smells of apples it neutralizes and soon gets that smell away. The yellow stains will hopefully go in time with grooming
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2008, 01:57 PM
when i brought my two home they both stank! just like yours after their bath they still had a faint whiff - looking back now i would say that the food they were fed was most likely to blame.

My mum told me to rub baking soda on their coats and brush it out - amazingly it worked! i suppose some old wives tales do it is a bit of a mess but definately worth it.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2008, 03:52 PM
You need to look at what you are feeding your puppy, some canned or sachet foods can make some dogs smell. You really need to consider what food you are giving her