View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 02:07 PM

Large/energetic dogs and small gardens...

Does that work or not?
I own my own house but its not huge, and my garden is really small too.

Is that a bad combination for an large dog? For example a boxer??
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 04:07 PM
You really really want a Boxer,don't ya Kammi?
Its great that you're giving it a lot of thought,good for you
I'm going to say yes,as long as he/she is exercised enough,I can't see why it couldn't work
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-06-2015, 05:04 PM
I have 4 dogs, all of them a lot larger than a boxer, and all of them requiring a lot of input and exercise. I live in a mid terrace. If I can do it with my 4, I can't see any reason why one medium size dog would present a problem
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2015, 05:39 PM
It depends on the particular dog too. My dogs don't bother the yard plants at all except peeing on sometimes. They do lunge the fence so I don't plant on that side. And Callie could have a one dog excavation business. He doesn't dig often but when he does it's a crater. The cats are the destructive ones. They stand on the porch and chew or uproot the potted plants. Important to research flowers and all greenery for pet safety.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Unless you have a field for a garden it will never be enough to exercise a dog but generally all dogs do in gardens is sleep, potter about a bit, go to the loo etc. Exercise is done elsewhere.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks all!!

Trouble - I didn't mean for exercising, more for having an play!! I do plan to move to a larger house with bigger garden in a couple of years so I'm wondering if I should just wait until then!!

Lacey10 - everyone who knows me knows I've always loved and wanted a boxer!! but I do want it to be the right time lol
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-06-2015, 05:39 PM
I always had smaller dogs because of a small garden, but fell for bigger breeds and now have 2 big and 2 little dogs in the same garden. They generally use the garden for snoozing, the odd play and chasing cats and birds. I sometimes wish it was longer so that I could throw a ball for them to get tired out but most of the times it is plenty. I am lucky in that I have a park on my road with woods and open countryside a short walk.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2015, 05:46 PM
We live in an urban area so there aren't fields or anything. But to give Sophie a good game of fetch I'll take her to the tennis courts or hockey court at the park when there's no one there. I can latch the gate and she's free to race around.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Although I live along a private lane where I could walk forever with the dogs, my own mobility is increasingly limited. So the wide area around the house on all four sides is basically all the dogs have and they are grand with that. Wee dog is high energy and she has an area where she digs holes.. I use the soil for my pots and the cats trays. We walk around the house on the concrete paving several times a day. Used to pay ball but she has gone off that and hides the ball. They are amazingly adaptive. Thankfully given my increasing dilapidation!