Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Don't know if they were happier. Know my greatgrandfather had an English bull terrier about 100 years ago. He was happy & friendly though not to cats, but people in the village just said it was a dogs nature when he occasionally killed one, though he lived with & accepted a white cat.
Had no dog food then either, he was fed on scraps & lamb,beef or horsemeat. Main thing was no vets, he was treated for any ailments with herbal remedies. Mind you so were the human family. Veterinary medicine has improved so much though, its changed out of all recognition even since I started in dogs in the 50's.
so do you think through breeding - medicine supressing natural tolerance levels etc, dogs are less resilient than dogs of the past ?
boris
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think they would have had much more freedom years ago, which they would be happyer with, but poss they were less well fed,
I bet they didn't get anything like the additives that commercial pet food feeders pump into their dogs nowadays, not sure that's much of an advance personally.

Ian
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
can you expand on that - you mean the human behaviour was modified around a dog to respect a feral side of them i.e. their kids were taught to keep them at arms length? Or that they were treated more like say a cat would be, food down and pretty much get on with it?
i think so...

from what i understand from parent and grandparents they were pretty much eras of you get what you deserve,
so for example you taunt a dog, you get bitten
you misbehave at school you get caned...
etc

so i think people probably respected the animalistic beahviours more than they do now....

alot of people seem to forget that dogs are animals nowadays!
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
i think so...

from what i understand from parent and grandparents they were pretty much eras of you get what you deserve,
so for example you taunt a dog, you get bitten
you misbehave at school you get caned...
etc

so i think people probably respected the animalistic beahviours more than they do now....

alot of people seem to forget that dogs are animals nowadays!
i 100 percent agree

- i dont know why it made me think of it, but my grandad told me a story once of being over blackheath and an airdale and another dog were having a fight and couldnt get split up and being a very big man he walked over grabbed both dogs by the necks and threw them in the pond. Fight over and universal gratitude.
I wonder nowadays if there would be a few hand ringing for a hands on approach
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
I think they lead a very different life, have no idea if they are happier but there is no doubt life is different for dogs in today’s world at least in the UK

100 years ago only the rich could indulge in the fancy, showing their dogs or keeping them as companions, other dogs were kept to work and if the ‘man in the street’ wanted a dog it would almost certainly be a mongrel.

Dog were not kept in house as they are now, often left to wander and many found food on the streets as they still do in parts of Europe to day. When dogs became part of the family as they are to day I don’t know, they are given every consideration and I think there are those who totally forget that they are animals.
Not quite correct regarding showing dogs as dog shows in England were originally held in public houses & pre date Crufts & the KC by many years, I can't see the rich popping along to the local hostelry for a swift half of gin & a dog show. Dogs were also "judged"@ agricultural shows(the terrier shows were around back then & still exist today of course)Purebred dogs were owned by the "lower"classes usually terriers & farm dogs, bull baiting was also around in the 1800's as was dog fighting until they were banned in 1835. Cock fighting was banned as was dog fighting & bear baiting in the same act of parliament

Veterinary Surgeons have been regulated since 1844 some 14 years before doctors were regulated in 1858 & there were vets around 100 years ago.

Some breeds are better than 100 years ago(certainly the GSDs that came into the UK after WWI were poor specimens "liberated"from German troops nervous & unpredictable)

Of course dog fighting is still around today, so the animals that take part are no worse or better off than 100 years ago.

!00 years ago dogs were as now seen as a disposable piece of property in the law & sadly by some owners, the difference being fewer dogs are killed by their owners(drowning etc) & more by the vets when they are of no more use. Dogs are still abandoned, but per head of population I think there are now fewer "stray"dogs around.

Certainly pet dogs have a better quality of life nowadays, regular meals rather than just leftovers, some people still overindulge their dogs with food & being treated as substitute babies just as they did 100 years ago.

Most working dogs also have better lives than they did 100 years ago
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 12:06 PM
so do you think through breeding - medicine supressing natural tolerance levels etc, dogs are less resilient than dogs of the past ?
Not totally back in the 50's lost a dog to distemper when his injections didn't work & a dog to cancer who with modern methods of assessment & treatment would I'm fairly sure have been saved. On the other hand have known puppies saved who back then would have died in the nest & they have needed extra care all their lives, so to a certain extent its true. Also dogs (& humans) do seem to suffer more from auto imune problems than was the case back 50 or 60 years ago, but I'm not sure how much of this is due to the environment & way of life & how much to vet practice.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Not totally back in the 50's lost a dog to distemper when his injections didn't work & a dog to cancer who with modern methods of assessment & treatment would I'm fairly sure have been saved. On the other hand have known puppies saved who back then would have died in the nest & they have needed extra care all their lives, so to a certain extent its true. Also dogs (& humans) do seem to suffer more from auto imune problems than was the case back 50 or 60 years ago, but I'm not sure how much of this is due to the environment & way of life & how much to vet practice.
yeah my father in law moans that kids live in a too sterile enviroment and its weakening the constitution ha...

is the auto immune thing either of those or breeding maybe? i'd love to know if any research done on the above
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 12:17 PM
is the auto immune thing either of those or breeding maybe? i'd love to know if any research done on the above
In dogs or humans?
Actually know of some research at present where heredity in certain auto imune deseases is being looked at along with other things butsadly though my boy has an auto imune eye problem as he is a rescue & I have no idea of his breeding I can't contribute
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 12:20 PM
In dogs or humans?
Actually know of some research at present where heredity in certain auto imune deseases is being looked at along with other things butsadly though my boy has an auto imune eye problem as he is a rescue & I have no idea of his breeding I can't contribute
hahaha both actrually

my staff is pretty much allergic to everything and my vet tells me that its becoming more prevalent than when he first started out.
As an aside I read somewhere that living with dogs can increase a childs allergy tolerance levels.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I think they were happier 100 years ago. Ok, they were less pampered then but they were allowed the freedom to be the dogs they are.

Heidi
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >