Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
You may be right but they did not get medical treatment and most if unable to work would have been shot, they were not fed as now and the sick or older dogs would have gone hungry, they were free to procreate at will and hundreds of puppies would be drowned or left to stave, poisoning was common. But the dogs would not have known this and probably lived for the day as they do now. Some days in heaven and some in hell, I suspect there was far more cruelty, there was even within my memory, in fact, when I think about it I am describing what I know from 60 years ago rather than a hundred.

Yes Crufts was there but only the rich and those who worked their dogs would show them and it was more like a livestock market, you displayed your dogs for sale or as studs or breeding bitches, I have seen a catalogue from the 1930s that has if the dog was for sale or not and it's price. In the front of the Illustrated Breed Standards book there is a painting of an early canine meeting dated 1855 and it was held at Jemmy Shaws tavern, it shows mostly terriers except a dog that looks like a CKCS, one that may be a Boxer and a couple who may be Bulldogs. Charles Crufts started dog shows in 1886 but Crufts its self did not start till 1928.
am i right in thinking it was started as a way to sell dog food?
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
On the plus side, I think they get better training and food these days. I would say that in the past neglect and cruelty were more common and I'm sure alot of dogs in the past died earlier from injury and disease.

However, they certainly had a lot more freedom then, than they do now and I should imagine that 100 years ago, more breeds were doing the job they were bred to do than they do now.
how do the statistics look for dogs in shelters at the moment - compared to 10, 20 30 yrs ago etc - obviously i imagine the dog catcher would just pick up dogs and head for the glue factory, but is there any trends in place that less or more dogs are abandoned over the years?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
am i right in thinking it was started as a way to sell dog food?
This may interest you Just read it myself and realise I gave the wrong date the first crufts was in.....hang on I will look again...........found it 1891
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 01:38 PM
This may interest you

Just read it myself and realise I gave the wrong date the first crufts was in.....hang on I will look again...........found it 1891
lovely thanks for that - i thought id heard something like that before - good to see that the great bastion and focal point of dog showing was done as a money spinner an interesting thought indeed.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
lovely thanks for that - i thought id heard something like that before - good to see that the great bastion and focal point of dog showing was done as a money spinner an interesting thought indeed.
Think it still is,
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 02:51 PM
no surely not
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:21 PM
they are given every consideration and I think there are those who totally forget that they are animals.
Totally agree with this statement. Can't bear the "doggy woggy woo" brigade who firmly believe Fido believes every word they say - perleez!

A dog is a canine - not a human - treat it as such, with kindness, rewards and proper boundaries, and you'll have a well-balanced friend for the rest of his/her life
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Don't know if they were happier. Know my greatgrandfather had an English bull terrier about 100 years ago. He was happy & friendly though not to cats, but people in the village just said it was a dogs nature when he occasionally killed one, though he lived with & accepted a white cat.
Had no dog food then either, he was fed on scraps & lamb,beef or horsemeat. Main thing was no vets, he was treated for any ailments with herbal remedies. Mind you so were the human family. Veterinary medicine has improved so much though, its changed out of all recognition even since I started in dogs in the 50's.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think they would have had much more freedom years ago, which they would be happyer with, but poss they were less well fed,
I agree...but I would think that they had less medical intervention, in my investigations of 'finding someone who was known to live in Birmingham 100 yrs +' I found out alot about the living conditions and dogs were not very high on the list for being 'seen' to when injured, plus they were left to scavenge the street for food. But that was town dogs....the country dogs on estate's seemed better looked after, but they were needed to work
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I don't know - wasn't around that long ago!

Seriously, I can only know what I research and it seems to be in some areas they fare a lot better, and in some areas, worse.
Medical care being the obvious better and freedom to roam being the obvious worse.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >