Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Cocker fox red ?

My daughter took my cocker to show a friend, for size and bounciness etc as she is considering a cocker puppy.
She is getting a fox red Cocker.
I have seen fox red labs and they were a lovely colour.
The labs are registerd undr yellow so they must be a bit 'ginge'.
If a Cocker is fox red what colour would they be registered as.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by kobi View Post
My daughter took my cocker to show a friend, for size and bounciness etc as she is considering a cocker puppy.
She is getting a fox red Cocker.
I have seen fox red labs and they were a lovely colour.
The labs are registerd undr yellow so they must be a bit 'ginge'.
If a Cocker is fox red what colour would they be registered as.
The correct name for the colour in Cockers is Golden !
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-02-2011, 03:26 PM
JoeDee
can you breed for it or is it random
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
You will only get golden cockers from black or golden parents as far as I know depends on the colours carried by the parents

Working Golden Cockers

Show Golden Cocker
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by kobi View Post
JoeDee
can you breed for it or is it random
Not JoeDee, but can answer that the color is not random and can be bred for. Genetically, in fact, it is the same as the Ruby coloring in Cavaliers and the Fox Red in Golden Retrievers. Each breed just uses different nomenclature.

The full range of 'red', 'golden', or buff colors in Cockers goes from almost white (silver) to deep red.

This photo of Golden Retrievers is a good visual, and the color genes work the same in both breeds (in fact in all dog breeds).

In American Cockers, where black/tan and sable cockers are allowed, it can be shown that the golds (the full range) are recessive to all of the colors - black, chocolate, sable, & black/tan and their forms which include parti markings - and can be produced from any of those if they are carrying a recessive 'e' allele, and they are paired with another dog carrying the same.

All the other colors in Cockers require a dominant E allele on the extension locus for an E/E or E/e pairing there - e/e gives the range of golds.

The red/buff/golden colors rely on two recessive genes being present on the extension locus (e/e). In addition, in order to lighten the color the chinchilla locus acts upon it. Recessive alleles on that locus can lighten the 'gold' to almost white. There is another locus proposed (intensifier) that helps to deepen the color, but it has not yet been identified.

As the Chinchilla 'C' allele is incompletely dominant, and the recessive alleles on that locus cause the lightening, it is more difficult to breed for the deeper colors - as recessives can sometimes unpredictably pop up and create light pups from two darker parents.

As the dominant 'C' allele, which allows a full deep gold color, has not been favored in the American Cocker breed (buffs were favored forever), it has all but been lost (a dominant gene cannot be recovered once lost) and the redder colors are harder to come by.

Ruby
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2011, 04:33 AM
From all the research and looking my husband and I have done on Cocker Spaniels (as we are getting one in a year) I would say they are known as Golden.

A great website with photos of Golden Cocker Spaniels (English) is www.gallinagos.com. They are beautiful puppies although they are not UK breeders.

I also agree with someone else that used an example of Golden Retriever and how they are golden but have a range of golden colours (we have a golden retreiver). I have seen quite a few photos of Golden Cocker Spaniels and they can vary in colour, I must say they are lovely but not for me/us as we already have a golden boy!

Hope this helps a little and I am not sure if your friend has found a breeder or not but I do know of one in Scotland that often has that colour puppies. If you want the details just PM me.

Best of luck to your friend

Rose x
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Cockers do come as Red and Golden, I would have thought that they would be registered as such. A while back there was a problem with some of the Red Cockers having dubious temperament which was referred to as Red Rage. At the time we knew a Red cocker who had the sweetest temperament you could ever meet.

I would contact the Cocker Spaniel club and ask them.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks to Ruby lover for the fullest answer possible with regards to geneology.
To Harley & me
the breeder she was originally in contact with for a red was in Aberdeen.
She is also looking more local in Northumberland/Durham