Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vincegraff
New Member!
Male 

14-03-2013, 04:50 PM

Would you clone your dog?

Hi there. I am a journalist writing an article for the Daily Mail newspaper.

There was a fascinating article in The Guardian the other day about a Korean company that is offering to clone British people's pet dogs. It was headlined "if your dog is about to die, why not clone it?" The company's idea is that it will create a genetically identical puppy of your loved one.

Here is the Guardian piece
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/sh...-it?CMP=twt_fd

What do you think of the idea? I would like to get in touch with any UK dog owners who find the idea appealing. If that's you, might I be able to chat to you on the phone for five or 10 minutes to hear your thoughts, so that I can include them in my article?

Thanks ever so much!

Vincent Graff
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 04:59 PM
No I never would, although it is nice to think we could keep our loved ones forever, circumstances life and encounters make your dog who they are to a large extent, where it would be genetically correct, it's life experiences would differ greatly from that of a dog you had for 10+ years, and you would start over a whole new experience with a new dog destined to be second best, that is unfair.

ooops sorry I should have read your request properly and just jumpd in with a reply, sorry
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Okay... I find this really morbid and quite creepy. I don't think I would want that.
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 05:03 PM
'A researcher in South Korea claims he can clone your pet. All he needs is some tissue from the animal and £66,000'

petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 05:08 PM
"Surrogate mothers don't have to be the same breed," explains Hwang. "A great dane could, in theory, be the surrogate for a chihuahua puppy.

Hwang admits: "Some traits go wrong. Dogs can be born unhealthy. For example, they can be born with thickened necks or tongues, and experience breathing difficulties. But we guarantee a healthy puppy for our clients, so we will try again. Often the client will take both puppies in this situation. We never put a dog down."

But aren't his clients, metaphorically, being sold a pup? Hwang accepts clients are "not getting their old dog back", but a new one that looks a lot like the old one. "When thinking of cloning, try to think of an identical twin," he says. "The dog will not be 100% the same – the spots on a dalmatian clone will be different, for example – but for breeds without such characteristics it will be very hard to tell them apart. Clients tend to want to clone mixed-breed dogs more than pure breeds. This is because mixed breeds are one of a kind and unique. We also can't guarantee they will have the same temperament as the original, but our clients do report lots of similarities. For example, one client said their cloned dog ate their food in the same way as the original. Both would take a piece of food from their bowl and carry it a couple of metres away before eating it."

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 05:53 PM
What can't be cloned is the bond we form over the years so a definite no no from me.

I imagine anyone daft enough to go for it would be thoroughly disappointed with the results. Cloned or not, each dog has a unique personality born from life experiences and there is no way to clone those.

If I had a magic wand, my dog would live as long as I do, but I don't so every minute we do have together is precious and unique.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I think the idea of cloning a dog is weird.
What would be the point

You can't replicate a dog only its appearance.
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I think the idea of cloning a dog is weird.
What would be the point

You can't replicate a dog only its appearance.
And even then they say the appearance won't be a 100% match.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 07:15 PM
There are people around who WOULD clone their dog though, so I hope that you get some material for your article Vincegraff. Good luck with it!
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
No I never would, although it is nice to think we could keep our loved ones forever, circumstances life and encounters make your dog who they are to a large extent, where it would be genetically correct, it's life experiences would differ greatly from that of a dog you had for 10+ years, and you would start over a whole new experience with a new dog destined to be second best, that is unfair.

ooops sorry I should have read your request properly and just jumpd in with a reply, sorry
I have to say I agree with every word of your reply.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >