Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:43 PM

Dog Gate Warning

Just seen this on Agilitynet, so thought I'd put it on here to warn anyone who uses these.

Thank goodness, Chris Barrett came home from the gym on Monday, 25 June an hour earlier than usual. He had forgotten his swimming gear. What he saw made his heart sink. There was Tizzy, their dog, hanging upside down from the high dog gates on the doorway. Chris felt so strong that it was worth warning other people of the danger that he wrote this 'better safe than sorry' article.
We have some of these high dog gates in some of our doorways to contain the dogs and stop them running around the bungalow, hopefully keeping them safe and secure. As I came in the front door, I was greeted by the sight blood everywhere and wood chippings all over the place. Tizzy had tried to jump over the gate and got her back legs twisted and woven into the upright bars of the gate.

She was in deep shock and making no noise whatsoever. She was utterly exhausted. She must have been hanging for an hour or more. The blood was from her mouth. She has lost several teeth from the centre of the top and lower jaw where she has tried to chew her way free from the metal bars and also the wooden door frame. (See picture.) Most of her teeth had been pulled right out, including the roots.

I picked her up to relieve the weight but could not untangle her legs and hold her at the same time. So, I had no choice but to re-hang her from the gate while I got help from our next door neighbour. I took her to Parks Vets Pet Hospital at Sidcup. They kept her in until late Wednesday afternoon. She has some nerve damage in her legs but the extent of the damage won’t be known until all the massive bruising and swelling has completely gone.

We were told that Monday night that she could loose a leg but the vet is now much more optimistic that she should make a better recovery than was first thought. She is still in pain and very sorry for herself. Who can blame her? It was a miracle she didn’t break her legs. It does look as though her agility days might be over but that is the least of our concerns.

The moral of the story... don't leave your dogs unattended behind dog gates.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh that is terrible - poor dog, what a frightening experience.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Who would have thought something like that could happen. We have one between the kitchen and lounge as Zak stays in the kitchen but I will be closing the door at night now. I usually leave it open and the gate up. Thanks for the warning.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2007, 10:38 PM
We had one of those gates, but the sods just jumped over it.

Now we just shut the door.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 10:40 PM
What an awful thing to happen We used to have those gates at our previous property but threw them out when we moved.

I hope she makes a full recovery x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Gosh that's awful... I hope she makes a full recovery.

We have one on the stairs but our dogs know they can't jump that high, it's on the first stair up and there's nowhere to jump from. Plus, they're too damned lazy.

I do intend on having gates all over in my new place though (no immediate plans but I plan to move sometime!) partly to allow me to foster and partly to retrain the hooligans. You can get solid gates though can't you? Perhaps these would be a safer solution.

I have to admit though... if you looked at all the things your dog could possibly damage itself on and tried to prevent it, you'd just go mad... I'm sure I would.

If T felt that way out she could open our kitchen drawers (never been taught to but it's physically possible) and hurt herself on the cutlery, or she could chew a piece of skirting while we're out and choke, I could leave her a kong and she could choke on it... the list is endless.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2007, 12:52 AM
I agree Lottie. There are millions of things we could sit worrying about all the time, in fact, if we actually acted on all of them, I'm sure most people wouldn't have dogs or children at all !!!

I have a gate similar, but wider bars and wider spaces, just to keep mine at bay when visitors come that don't appreciate going home looking like they've rolled in candyfloss ! Admittedly, mine have never tried jumping them, due to the gate being on a step, so the insecurity of jumping from below just puts them off.

Shame though, I hope the dog recovers. Perhaps he was practising for agility.........
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2007, 08:30 AM
What an awful story - I do hope that the poor dog makes a good recovery.

We had a baby gate between the kitchen & the lounge/dining room when Louie was small, but got rid of it after a few months as I kept tripping over it
Downstairs is pretty much open plan but we do have door which leads to the stairs which we keep shut (after the piddling on the bed incident he isn't allowed upsatirs anymore.

I do agree with you Lottie that if we tried to protect them from everything we'd go mad & they'd be pretty bored!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2007, 08:38 AM
We had a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to stop our children, when toddlers, from going UP, problem was Paige, when she was 16 months fell DOWN the stairs, hit the gate at the bottom and broke her arm.....which she probably wouldn't have done if it hadn't been there.

We do have a baby gate between our kitchen and hall, to keep the dogs in when the kids open the front door, and it is shut at night.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2007, 08:41 AM
We have 2 gates.... a 4ft "dog gate" between the kitchen and rest of house and a normal baby gate to stop Max heading up stairs.

We don't have doors on those entrances, as they weren't there when we moved in and are funny sized door-ways.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >