View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 06:48 PM

Dog gate - does anyboy use and recommend?

Hi all

our extension is going to get started soon and I need to stop Bruno from getting down to the front door to harass the builders - seeing as training him to not go down will take about 10 years I am going to invest in a dog gate.

i need a tall one though so he does not attempt to jump it. i was thinking of a lindam premium safety gate ( height 108cm) and would need extensions for it as our doorway is 100 cm at the top of the stairs.

does anyone currently use this type and can recommend it -and/or does anybody have one they dont want anymore that i could purchase??

thanks
dani
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 06:57 PM
I've got this one from Argos and its brilliant and is 108cm tall.

Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 07:00 PM
thats the one I was looking at - but I need the extensions on it - due to my door size - yand it doesnt say on the argos site that you can buy them - do you know if you can??
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Yep agree with Foxy, mine from argos is years old now and still going strong
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff
Yep agree with Foxy, mine from argos is years old now and still going strong

thanks - have just reserved one at my local argos and will probably need to order extensions from lindam ltd direct.

thanks guys for the info !!
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 07:11 PM
I use the same one from Argos and just wish there was something stronger - my dogs break them easily. So, it would depend on your dog - one of my GSD and some of my NI jump it easily and I have to wedge another gate (the extension bit but the other way up) on top to make it higher. They only last a few weeks with my dogs before the catches break and I have to use old dog collars in a 'heath robinson' attempt at securing the gate - they are only as strong as the little plastic bit that holds the catch shut and with several big dogs standing up on it - it doesn't last long.

With smaller dogs they are good and I like the way there is gap so you don't accidentally trap the dogs tail in the gate when you close it and the bars are quite close together, but they are just not strong enough for my dogs.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
I use the same one from Argos and just wish there was something stronger - my dogs break them easily. So, it would depend on your dog - one of my GSD and some of my NI jump it easily and I have to wedge another gate (the extension bit but the other way up) on top to make it higher. They only last a few weeks with my dogs before the catches break and I have to use old dog collars in a 'heath robinson' attempt at securing the gate - they are only as strong as the little plastic bit that holds the catch shut and with several big dogs standing up on it - it doesn't last long.

With smaller dogs they are good and I like the way there is gap so you don't accidentally trap the dogs tail in the gate when you close it and the bars are quite close together, but they are just not strong enough for my dogs.

thanks - we can but try !!! I dont think he will mind too much as its only keeping him from the front stair case - the worst thing to happen would be for him to chew it as I am getting the high one and buno is only short so he shouldnt be able to get up on it ......famous last words........
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
thanks - we can but try !!! I dont think he will mind too much as its only keeping him from the front stair case - the worst thing to happen would be for him to chew it as I am getting the high one and buno is only short so he shouldnt be able to get up on it ......famous last words........

I used to have the Lindam baby gate when I had Sabre, my GSD and he was a very big and very heavy GSD and used to stand with his front paws on the top of the gate when anybody came in the house and it stood up to that. They didn't have these dog gates then - it would have been ideal for me with Sabre because he wouldn't have got his paws on the top - well I don't think he would anyway
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-04-2006, 07:48 PM
i have the same gate for ours and even tob can stand up against it , he has never managed to knock it down....lol
its easy to use and very affective we use it on the kitchen when hols in season to help us split the dogs.
i also have the smaller baby gate version for the stairs at night he aint shared my bed yet!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Same gate here too! I have it on the kitchen door, to stop the little escape artist x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >