Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Signs of ear mites?

Hey guys,

I'm convinced it's an ear infection and cleaning it out twice daily will help but he's constantly scratching and I'm getting lots of dirt out so just wondering if you could tell me the signs of ear mites and what best to use to treat it. I've been meaning to get some more Canaural for when his infections flare up, which is normally after a swim, which he hasn't done for nearly a two weeks now - however we did walk in the rain if that could have caused anything?

Will Canaural kill mites?

He did have his boosters last week and as it is a new client of theirs they gave him a check over and she noticed his ear was a bit sore and I said that I thought it was just another infection - as he is part spaniel I'm facing the fact that he just might be prone to it.. but over the past couple of days it's gotten worse and he has cut his ear from scratching. It is mainly after he has had a sleep or is about to go to sleep at night.

Could it be mites?

He has another appointment at the vets next week for his kennel cough so I might ask her to have a quick look if it hasn't cleared up by then.. but is there anything I can buy to kill them if it is or just soothe his ear?

I've been using non fragranced baby wipes to clean his ears with but could this be doing more harm than good and would salt and water work better?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
My brother's Lab use to have massive problems with ear mites. From what I recall the primary sign was just that he was constantly scratching and worrying at his ear. I would definitely recommend getting the vet to check his ear out just to be on the safe side.

Personally I would avoid fragranced baby wipes - just in case the chemicals on them are aggravating or even causing a problem with your dog's ear.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
My brother's Lab use to have massive problems with ear mites. From what I recall the primary sign was just that he was constantly scratching and worrying at his ear. I would definitely recommend getting the vet to check his ear out just to be on the safe side.

Personally I would avoid fragranced baby wipes - just in case the chemicals on them are aggravating or even causing a problem with your dog's ear.
Yeah, I meant to get ear wipes when I went to a pet store yesterday and completely forgot, will get some tomorrow when I go shopping.

She did, last week agree with me that it was an infection but either I haven't kept on top of it properly and it's a deep one or it's mites, he's never scratched it this hard before.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 02:10 PM
if you are worried I would get to the vets but Mya used to have probs with her ears but now they get a sprinkle of thornits every week or two (when I remember) and she hasn't had any trouble since. She used to have black gunk in her ears but no sign of it now. At first I put a tiny amount in every day for a week, then once every week or two. It lasts ages too, I've hardly used any of mine up and I've had it about 2 years ish now.
Tracy xx
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Fred&Mya'smum View Post
if you are worried I would get to the vets but Mya used to have probs with her ears but now they get a sprinkle of thornits every week or two (when I remember) and she hasn't had any trouble since. She used to have black gunk in her ears but no sign of it now. At first I put a tiny amount in every day for a week, then once every week or two. It lasts ages too, I've hardly used any of mine up and I've had it about 2 years ish now.
Tracy xx
See Louie and I go out in all weathers and it starts when he has gotten water in - I am prepared after he has been for a swim and his ears get dried as best I can get them. I don't think it is mites but I am going to buy some wipes and some drops tomorrow and then if it's no better by next week I will definately get the vet to look.
May I ask what Thornit's are?

I don't think it's mites, just a deep rooted infection - like the first one he ever had. I have stuck the last of the Canaural down his ear though and it seems to have stopped bothering him.

It's not his food - thats what we were worried about the last time, he's been on the same food for a while.

Will keep you posted though on how he gets on.. It didn't seem to worry the vet much though - when she had a look so I don't think it is mites - I do have a habit of working myself up for nothing, especially when it comes to the dogs.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
if you google thornit ear powder it will bring you the link up, I think I paid £8 for a 20g small pot but as I say it's lasted ages.
Worth a try and stopped Mya getting ear infections which she got after a bad allergic reaction, she was scratching etc and I tried thornit powder and it's worked, she's not had a problem since.
Worth a try
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Wiping the ears does no good IMO because the problem is in the ear canal. Any poking further down risks impacting ear wax.
Dog ear wax is brown and is oftern mistaken for dirt btw.
I would just ask the vet to test it. It could be yeast or bacterial infection or mites.
Stronghold and Advocate kill ear mites.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Wiping the ears does no good IMO because the problem is in the ear canal. Any poking further down risks impacting ear wax.
Dog ear wax is brown and is oftern mistaken for dirt btw.
I would just ask the vet to test it. It could be yeast or bacterial infection or mites.
Stronghold and Advocate kill ear mites.
Thats what it is then. Since I've put the Canaural in I've had no head shaking, no ear scratching. But I will ask the vet to take a look.

Thank you everyone
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes better to get it checked out, if it is ear mites the wee beggers wont go away on their own. You need ear cleaner put in the ear [which kills them] and then daily treatment for a week with the likes of canural. You cant miss ear mites, lots and lots of dark brown wax that is non ending. They scratch and just love you to rub their ears especially on the bottom part

Our two feral kittens had them. They had been treated before we got the last kitten but obviously she had more than her fair share as the ears were soon full of the tell tale dark wax again.