Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mixiemoo
New Member!
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:12 AM

What are the signs of a dog in labour??

HI
My springer is due to have her pups tommorow, but this morning she is panting heavily and restless, but could this be due to the heat?, she is also going to the garden to poop more than normal (3 times in an hour and half), is this a sign?? She hasnt gone off her food at all, but in fairness ive never known anything to put her off her food!!! , any help or advice is appreciated i have no experince of a dog in labour as she is my 1st!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Mixiemoo View Post
HI
My springer is due to have her pups tommorow, but this morning she is panting heavily and restless, but could this be due to the heat?, she is also going to the garden to poop more than normal (3 times in an hour and half), is this a sign?? She hasnt gone off her food at all, but in fairness ive never known anything to put her off her food!!! , any help or advice is appreciated i have no experince of a dog in labour as she is my 1st!
I'm sorry I have no advice to give as not bred dogs before! Just wanted to wish you good luck & remind you we WILL need piccies

Bev
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Mixiemoo View Post
HI
What about your stud dogs owner, have you asked for their help and advice, .

Its usually a good idea to have prepared yourself for labour before this stage.

Do you knwo the signs to look for if she gets in distress, and needs veterinary intervention.

I hope she whelps without to many complications.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I found this..

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...jyMkPg&cad=rja

Hoep that helps
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

28-06-2011, 08:25 AM
This is the same Springer that has Epilepsy?

Will yo ube informing the new puppy owners of her condition.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:27 AM
This is the start and it could go on for quite a while,do not under any circumstances let her go into the garden on her own, I would put a lead on her as many a pup has been born there as the owners let the dog out for what they thought was a poo good luck with your whelping ,all bitches are different if in any doubt ring your vet for advice.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
This is the same Springer that has Epilepsy?

Will yo ube informing the new puppy owners of her condition.
I was just gonna say that after looking at the previous posts.
Mixiemoo
New Member!
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Yes this is the dog who has epilepsy and yes i will inform new owners
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-06-2011, 10:09 AM
As the stress of labour can very easily trigger off an epileptic seizure, I think it would be advisable to contact your vet for assistance.
Sgurr
New Member!
Female 

28-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds to me that she is in stage one of labour - panting and restless. Notify your vet of this and the epilepsy complication now, please. Make sure she has a whelping place - crate or even a big cardboard box where she can stretch out. Put a great pile of clean newspaper in the whelping area - this gives her something to shred (another sign of imminent whelping) and will absorb the birthing fluids.

Get something to occupy yourself so you are not staring at her directly but keep a careful eye on her. Exclude all other animals and people. Have water available and a bit of easily digestible food -cooked chicken is good). The panting etc can go on for up to 24 hours or so for a first whelping.

Work out how far away you are from the vet in terms of travel time. Ring before you take the bitch to the surgery. You should not let a bitch that has started contractions strain for more than 45 mins to an hour without a result. So if you are 20 mins away from the vet, your time limit for unproductive contractions is 40 mins.
You will need either a crate in the car or two people to get her to the vet. Be prepared that just the action of getting her into the car and /or the bumps of the ride may stimulate the first birth. If so, carry on to the vets for a check that all is well. Otherwise the vet can check to see if there is an obstruction (mis-presented puppy) and if a C-section is necessary.

Keep as hands off as you can but if the bitch leaves a pup, especially the first in the birth sac, rip the sac off and put the pup by the bitch to be licked. If she doesn't know what to do, quickly wipe off the pup with kitchen towel and plug it onto one of her back nipples. The pup suckling will stimulate hormones to make the whelping easier for the bitch.

She may have a pup or two then a rest (no contractions) and maybe start again a couple of hours later - all quite normal but keep your vet aware of progress.

As others said earlier - she only goes out on a lead with you and it is quite common for the first pup to come out as though she is doing a poo and the bitch will walk away from it.

Good luck and get the vet on side!

Cheers
Sgurr
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >