View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Oscar has made it through ok and is doing well. After lots of discussions with the vet and between ourselves we have decided it is best for him to go to a new home. One of the vets from the practice group came to meet him this afternoon with two of her children and she has taken him home this evening to see how it goes. They really like him though. If he settles with them then they will take him.

It would be really good for him to have a vet for his new mummy because then a lot of his medical treatment can be done much more easily.

Nick, you are right, my husband had a labrador. She was his Guide Dog. She was retired at the beginning of 2009 as she was losing her sight. She is now living with someone we know and so is not with us.

So, we will see how he does with the vet and her family and then go from there. I do think in the end there will be the right dog for me/us but Oscar needs someone else I think.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I appreciate it. I feel less of a failure now I think. I still feel bad about it, but I know I am doing what is best for him.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Sorry you have come to this decision, but it shows your selflessness and I applaud you for putting Oscar first.

Hugs hon xxx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Sorry you have come to this decision, but it shows your selflessness and I applaud you for putting Oscar first.

Hugs hon xxx
I agree whole heartedly. It takes huge courage to do something so selflessly. Please try not to dwell now and remember the happy times only xxxx
Einstein's Dad!
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2009, 02:33 AM
All sympathies for what you are going through right now. and maybe a thought that a re-homing might give him and both you guys a better life, in the long term...
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Aligord View Post
Oscar has made it through ok and is doing well.
Thanks for all your thoughts. I appreciate it. I feel less of a failure now I think. I still feel bad about it, but I know I am doing what is best for him.
I've just read though all this and despite how it started I am so pleased to hear how it's all turned out.

I'm sure you will miss your baby but I admire your honesty and actions.

There's many folk who consider themselves responsible dog owners that fall short. You've shown that you care
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Pretty much hat everyone else said, it sounds like you made a well informed decision and did the right thing for you and the dog. It can be the hardest thing to do, even if you know it is the right one. Hugs to you chick
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I've just read though all this and despite how it started I am so pleased to hear how it's all turned out.

I'm sure you will miss your baby but I admire your honesty and actions.

There's many folk who consider themselves responsible dog owners that fall short. You've shown that you care
i agree (((hugs)))
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Thank you all. You don't know how much better it makes me feel to read some of the things you have all said. The vet he spent the night with last night said they got on well (she even had him sleeping on the landing and he just wandered in to her room once and then back out. We couldn't shift him off our bed. To him dog bed = human bed). She is going to keep him for the next week or so just to make sure it is all ok but looks good that they will be his new family.

Apparently he was out rolling in the snow and playing with some other dogs today, and she has children of 8 and 4 and he is getting on fine with them. Sounds like he is happy there.

It has been one of the hardest decisions to make ever and I think it will be a while before a new pet dog comes into our lives (although we're hopeful for a new Guide Dog for hubby in the next 6 mnths) but I know it is the right thing for Oscar in the long run.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm sure it was the hardest decision - but as you say- in the long run better for Oscar. He was lucky you owned him and could take the long view. *hugs* to you. xx
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2009, 03:58 PM
hugs from us i hope he gets better...xxxxxxxxxxx
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >