Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Dog Transport

I am due to change my car in the spring and I am looking for ideas of what make/type I could change it for. Second hand of course !

I currently have a Peugeot 406 Estate which does exactly what it says on the can !! Its relatively cheap to run, reasonably reliable (Its now done 160,000 miles so I dont expect miracles). I have previously had 2 Peugeot 306's, a Golf estate, a Volvo Estate and a 4X 4.

The boot space in the new 407 is a bit small, although I quite like the styling. I am also considering a small van, properly caged out.

I have a 70 mile round trip to work so I want an economical deisel. I have 6 dogs and normally carry them two at a time in a split double cage.

The 4 X 4 and the Volvo were too expensive to run. I loved the Golf and begrudingly admired all 3 of my Peugeots.

What do you Dogsey people out there have, and what do you recommend?

Thalice's Mum
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-10-2012, 12:07 PM
This one's sold now, but how about something like this?

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=166286
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Yes - thats something to condider.

Has anyone got a Ford Focus ?

What other small vans have been kitted out ?

Thalice
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi Maud

Hope you are well?

I have a Mercedes 2000c estate and it's brilliant, but the boot space is limited. I would always recommend this model to people, for comfort and room for driver and passengers, but if you are transporting any number of larger dogs, (setter size), the boot space is probably only big enough for one large male or two average size girls.

We had the Merc converted to LPG last December and haven't looked back, we can do about 300 miles for around £30 and would definately buy a petrol car/van again and have it converted. (cost around £1300 but recouped within a couple of months).
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Sheree

I have had a couple of LPG conversions (A Volvo and a Scorpio !!) but found a number of problems. Firsly where to put the tank. If in the boot it takes up dog space and if a donut tank in the spare wheel well - the tank isnt big enough for 2 trips to work and back and where do you put the spare wheel ? - In the boot with the dogs ?

Then my nearest LPG garage is 9 miles away and that somewhat negates the savings on fuel. So sadly I will have to pass on this which is a pity because its a chance to get a really nice car which is cheaper to run !

Thanks

Maud
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Oh that's a shame, my tank is in the spare wheel well so Hen's cage fits over it. I didn't realise you had already tried them, I expect if you have had problems it's enough to put you off

I don't have a spare wheel, I have a can of something magic that sprays into a punctured tyre to get me to the nearest garage, or I just ask the breakdown service to bring me a new tyre

I have quite a big tank but Clives little SLK only does about 150 miles before it needs refilling.

I quite fancy a 4x4 next

Originally Posted by Thalice View Post
Hi Sheree

I have had a couple of LPG conversions (A Volvo and a Scorpio !!) but found a number of problems. Firsly where to put the tank. If in the boot it takes up dog space and if a donut tank in the spare wheel well - the tank isnt big enough for 2 trips to work and back and where do you put the spare wheel ? - In the boot with the dogs ?

Then my nearest LPG garage is 9 miles away and that somewhat negates the savings on fuel. So sadly I will have to pass on this which is a pity because its a chance to get a really nice car which is cheaper to run !

Thanks

Maud
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 05:05 PM
I've got the Ford Focus, but can't say that I'm impressed with it, although it does the job for what I want, but I only have one dog now. I've always had the Astra Estate, and those I am impressed with! I've even had ones that had already done 150,000K on the clock when we bought them, but they just seem to go on forever, and having had about 5 of them now, none of them let me down EVER!

My Ford Focus is a stop gap, it was cheap, and we were desperate. It's a 2001 and so far so good, it's done over 160,000K been to France and back a few times according to the previous owner, and it hasn't let me down yet since May of this year and I use it every day. I think it could be better on petrol actually than my old Astra Estate but don't quote me on that, it's just that I don't seem to be filling it up quite as often Nice little reliable car, but somehow, the Astra was a much nicer drive, it seemed more beefy and solid to me.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I have had an Astra Estate (very good but had problems with the cooling system apparently common with those with the Isuzu engine) but very roomy.

My favourite car of all time was my Austin Montego Estate, bigger than a Volvo at the back.

I had a Ford Focus Saloon and an Estate, I had the latter caged out entirely at the back including the back seats which meant I had to have a top box. Very good drive and economical.

I also had a Peugeot Partner which was ACE as it had LOADS of head room and lots of compartments.

I had a Ford Galaxy, super roomy and economical, not comfy to drive.

I now have a Volve V70 but it is not really roomy enough for more than one big dog in the back, but super comfy to drive.

I have several friends who have the new VW CaddyVan either in Van or car models and they are super. I am seriously considering one of these when I change my car and to opt out of my Company Car system. Very roomy, pracitcal and economical.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Probably not economical enough but my Chrysler Voyager 2 litre manual is wonderful. Air con, comfortable and with the middle seats removd a lot of space for Dillon.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think I will test drive a Focus and have a look at the VW Caddy and the Peugeot vans. Where do people get the vand caged out ?

Has anyone got a Passat ?

Maud
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >