Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 10:40 AM

I just cut Zena's nails!!!!

Just got back from a little run, and decided to cut Georgie's nails, and Zena was laid there on the kitchen floor next to us, so I thought, hmmmm, I wonder I slowly moved across,placed the clippers on her front paw and she decided to sort out an itch she had on her hind leg, so I snipped a teeny bit off one of the fronts and she did nothing!!!! I got out some treats, asked her to sit, put my glasses on and snipped away at each foot, and she didn't mind one little bit!! Why was I thinking she'd be a loonatic then I wonder??? Both front paws nice and short,no blood, the first ever clip at 7 months old, and have to say, they were soooooo easy and soft to do! I have the clippers which have the backing safety plate, so I couldn't cut too short, bearing in mind they are all black which doesn't help, just a little bit at a time, so that'll be going on our grooming programme now, although the grooming is another (different!) story altogether!!! Dave will be pleased, his scars should heal nicely now!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Ah bless her she has total trust in you. She is a little star isn't she!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
When I think of the nightmare I used to have with old Cassie, even as a very mature dog, i.e. one vet, 3 nurses and ME to hold her down to cut her claws, well, I'm quite gobsmacked here!!! Happy, but quite gobsmacked!!! Quite honestly, I don't think she knew exactly what I was doing, I just sort of did it if you know what I mean, without making a big deal out of it, just like I did with Georgie, but then he lets me do just about anything to him, so I suppose he helps me a lot doesn't he!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Well done, that's great news!

It's so important to not cut the quick, you are right; I did it once with one of my first Belgians and it was horrible as she so trusted me ... I felt really bad as it clearly hurt her. She never yelped, but did that time

It made me a bit nervous of cutting them ever since as, as you say, they are often black! Like you I take off a bit at a time (I also give chicken during the clipping to associate the exercise with something pleasant).

Wys
x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Now why didn't I think of that when I'd just cooked them a whole chicken Zena had to make do with boring old dry treats

I did that myself once with another gsd I had and I felt awful, the blood just wouldn't stop and I knew it hurt her, and as you say, black is not good to cut in a serious way! I've only taken those sharp little ends off, I daren't go any shorter, but at least, if I keep doing this now and again, quietly and calmly on the kitchen floor, she'll get so used to it, I can keep them nice and short. The back ones are absolutely fine, they don't need cutting, but these fronts were like sharp little daggers and I've got the scars to prove it (yes, still working on the jumping up in excitement ) I watched that video that you put up or somebody put up for me a while ago, watching the groomer getting the dog acclimatised to the clippers and that helped me lots!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 04:32 PM
It is a bit nerve wracking cutting nails i find - although my dog is really good i'm always worried about cutting the quick. I know it sounds silly but if you shine a torch behind the nail you can see the quick clearly.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for that tip, but I can see the quick in Georgie's white nails, but could I see it with a torch then with black nails???

The only reason I am so chuffed with myself on this occasion is the fact that Zena is only 7 months old and this is her very first time, but it seems I really shouldn't have worried!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Great news, I know what a nightmare it can be. Beau will let me do anything to him but cut his nails, the minute he even sees the clippers he leaves the room.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Its supposed to be easier to see the outline of the quick - never actually tested the theory - my girl has white nails too but my new foster Dave has black nails so i'll probably be trying it out.