Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Or ferrets remember Richard Whiteley's encounter with one
I do remember a client who brought one into the vets, his son could do anything with him, but when our client picked him up and held him close to his face going ..... your a good boy arn't you....it latched onto his nose.......boy did that bleed
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
I think perhaps your tone of voice has gotten some peoples backs up. How can you say your dogs will Never bite anyone 100% I find this rather naive and dangerous to be so complacent.
Taking bones, etc away from dogs might seem rubbish to you but it has worked for many dogs on here. Dogs that have not had the greatest of starts such a rescues. the owners often find that these dogs come with issues like food aggression. How would you cope with that then?
Would you just take the food away full stop, isn't that going to confuse the dog more so?

There are a lot of people on this forum that have had years and years of experience with all kinds of different breeds. You cannot simply dismiss their knowledge base out of hand. That is insulting to them.

Elaine
I have to agree with Elaine, Boxerboy, although our dogs are taught to expect food, chews etc being taken from them, but solely because we foster ''challageing Behaviour Children'' the dogs were taught not only ''I take your food'' but to go and get another chew out of thier box, or to come and ''tell'' so we can rectify it, should ever that happen....and this maybe slightly off topic, but some of the kids we have suffered neglect, food not given or just plain bullies who took the food from them.....I think they would agree, food being taken...is not nice.
If I didn't foster these children, I wouldn't bother and let them eat in peace.....as i am sure your dogs let you eat in peace.
Interesting twist, if your dogs took your food.....how would you react
Paul&Muttley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2009, 11:01 PM
kcjack:
Putting aggresive dogs on there side till calm which I did with the westie Saturday.
Pulling lead sideways for more control.
Letting other dogs stiff an aggresive dogs bits when have fights.
Using a tennis racket.
I assume these are all methods used by CM, and apparently you approve. If they work, then I think that speaks for itself. In the aggression DVD by CM that I am currently watching, it shows how a large white GSD was told to roll on his side when he became too aggressive. He was probably put in that position forcibly at first, but then learned to present that behavior on command, as a sign of submission and a "calming signal".

The sideways pull is taught by CM in that DVD, along with placing the collar high on the neck for more control. If it is only a mild correction, it is just an attention-getter and not harmful or abusive. Powerful yanks that lift the dog off his feet, as I was taught, are abusive.

I don't think I understand about stiffing a dog's bits. Maybe UK speak? Please elaborate/translate

The tennis racquet I think was used as a defensive weapon, much as CM used a plastic trash can when dealing with the GSD, and a plastic toy when dealing with a little Lhasa Apso who was even scarier than the bigger dog. That is a well known trick derived from "lion taming", where a chair is often used as a distraction so the handler can maneuver more effectively and safely.

In reference to youngstevie's comments about how I would react if my dog took food from me, I might be annoyed, or I might find it funny. I eat too much as it is, and if my dog were in charge of my well-being, although I might not like it, I should accept that he is doing it for my own good. If he nicked my bag of donuts and then engaged me in some more wholesome play time, I would forget about stuffing my face with comfort food and enjoy his attention. But that is just me, with my personality, and with a set of assumptions. If I were really hungry, and my dog snatched my food, I might retaliate. But if I acknowledged that he was my leader, I would first have to consider that his actions might be for the good of "the pack", especially if he reassured me with some affection as opposed to just acting like a bully.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Paul&Muttley View Post
...From my experience on the VS forum, I think they have distorted the positive only method according to their own (mostly feminine) bias, and the advice I see given quite often just "does not compute". I fully agree that treats and clickers can be used to reward good behavior and to shape and solidify tricks and specific commands, but I think there are many behavior issues that are better dealt with using quick and unmistakeable aversives.....
I disagree, for several reasons I don't have time to go into (I shouldn't be on here ) One is that using aversives can and does have fallout, not always obvious at the time.

Another is - well, take a look at this video and listen to the owner talking about how she's had trainers telling her to domimate, she tried it, and then see what the clicker can do. Remember, the clicker is not just for fun, it's also a very serious behavioural tool which aids in communication, and as many problems are caused by lack of communication......

Anyway here's the video, the Tucker nail trim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEwiH8CeUE

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Discussion on techniques etc including discussing some of the videos

http://doglinks.co.nz/training/Cesar_Millan/index.htm

Wys
x