Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 11:08 PM

3 dog bites in 24 hours

What a weekend we have had 3 dog bites in last 36 hours.

My hubby has been bit by a westie that came in Saturday lunchtime he is an ex stud dog that was going physcho. Got bit but his arm swelled like the hulk so he on 2 last of antibiotics then they wanted to see him again this morning and he got to go back in morning as arm stillswollen bright red and rock hard to the touch.

My friend got bit by a poodle x **** zu on her anckle.

And my other friend got bit by her own llhaso after she nicked Kentucky of table and she went to get it.
Holly-Rosee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2009, 11:18 PM
are the dogs ok none of them got food poisoning i hope!!!!!!

only joking hope hubby gets better soon
Paul&Muttley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't know the circumstances of the first two incidents, but it is especially disturbing when one is bitten by ones own dog. I sometimes "test" Muttley by taking a bone or rawhide chew, or taking his food dish, but usually only after I first alert him to what I am going to do. And usually I add something good or replace with something better, so he gets the idea that my attention is a "good thing". Even when my friend "teased" him by snatching his rawhide chew, he seemed totally OK and did not react aggressively.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I did realise all little dogs, my hubbys is really bad went in very deep.

I know I said to Sharon I can get the dogs from pounds or breeders who lived with no contact all there life but this is her family pet, infact 2 out of the 3 are family pets.
From what I gather they are spoilt pooches as so little they dont like telling them off GRRRRRRR
Paul&Muttley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2009, 01:06 AM
I am probably fortunate not to have ever been bitten (except for little snaps) by a dog. Muttley bit my friend after he had been working on my house banging on siding. Muttley had been barking and lunging on his tether, but then became very quiet as George passed by with his hammer. As soon as he did, Muttley suddenly lunged and gave him a mighty nip on his butt, and although it did not break the skin, it was very painful and remained sore for several weeks. At that time I did not know the seriousness of fearfulness in dogs, as Muttley expressed when meeting George, and I laughed it off, calling him a "wimpy" dog for being such a "scaredy cat". Now I know better.

My experience has been that smaller dogs tend to be more likely to snap and bite. It might be because they have been "spoiled" until they become nasty, or they might just feel insecure because of their small size. I have found that sometimes small dogs will "attack" Muttley, even though he could demolish them with one bite or a pawswipe. I need to be careful in those circumstances. He was OK with my neighbor's cute little Papillon, but I had to curtail the play when the little dog started getting a bit too jumpy and Muttley put his big paw up in a playful, but perhaps dangerous, gesture. A 10:1 weight ratio is a bit too much.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Hope hubby ok, and your friends.

I have a few scars myself from working with dogs/cats/animals(past job) and have experienced a few good bites. However I have to say my worst bites....were GSD that latched onto my arm, which needed several sutres. and a hamster.......yep I did say hamster, physco monster, ever tried getting those things off

Hope hubby's arm is a bit better today xxxxxxxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:25 AM
My worst bite was a GSD, bit though one of the joints on my little finger! However, agree about the Westie's, when grooming they were the ones most likely to bite the little bleepy bleeps!
Becky
Lupus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:36 AM
had to laugh YS when i saw our post as it reminded me of when my aunt got bit by their hamster and it woudn't let go and just hung from her finger swinging gently in the air..little blighters
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Being a groomer it can be an occupational hazard,and over the years I have had a few incidents of being bitten (usually by the westies,yorkies,poodles and min schnaus) GSD are more likely to give you a warning,not so the little b......s of this world. I know that nobody likes! to be bitten and really feel for your husbands pain at the moment.My worst fear is when I get bitten by a cat,they have such filthy teeth and everything on their teeth and on the surface of your skin gets pushed down into the puncture hole they have made. I have a small cattery and last year I was bitten straight through my first finger joint (knucle) I felt it go through the bone!!!!! I was showing at Richmond that day,ended up in the first aid tent,being treated by the best looking doctor in the South of England......! All worth it ,still have the cat(long term boarder) and the scars. Never try to flick the hamster off your finger,worked with a vet who did,and then had to calm down a distraught child.
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I think I must live in a different world to some dog owners, the thought of one of my Boxers biting me or anyone else is just laughable, it just ain't going to happen and hasn't done in 46 years

As for all this rubbish about taking away their bones and food etc, and replacing with something else that's nice so they're not upset, what a joke. An hour ago I took three rawhide chews from my three, they got sod all in return but I did say thank you
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >