View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
No i don't think they should be crossed, if people can not afford the real thing then choose another breed, simple as.

To help with the terrible interbreeding a the start of these two breeds then maybe but it would need to be controlled and researched alot better then a bunch of BYB playing at it which is what we have nowIMHO.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
I wonder , how much it actually costs to import these dogs from abroad? In the advert I saw for the UK bred SWH the pups were £2500. I think, personally, that this is steep for a puppy but of course it is up to each individual how much they pay....and of course if it costs that or more to import the dogs from abroad, then I can understand better why the price is so high.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
I think most people could not afford a pure bred Saarloos.. as the stud fee for one is £2500. The Czechs arn`t a great deal cheaper. There are not enough pure bred Saarloos or Czechs in the country to make it a viable breed.. as all the pups already bred... have the same sires or dams, so they all end up closely related.. just like the NI. So in the end it probably helps out both breeds.. as a viable dog in the UK.
But there are lots of breeds that have not been brought to the UK and those that there are very low numbers of ....surely this does not justify crossing them. If people truly want a particular breed they will save up and buy one, even if it means importing a dog from another country.

I do not understand how crossing either the SWH or the CWD will help either become a 'viable' breed in the UK as the cross bred dogs are not a breed, as you yourself pointed out on a thread elsewhere, on this forum.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
IMO, NO the Saarloos and Czech Wolfdog should not be crossed, this is what has stopped anyone being willing to import to this country again!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
No, I don't, it appears a lot of hard work has gone into creating the two breeds, with careful breeding, all above board. So why throw all that away?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Because a small, closed gene pool is the deathknell for any breed.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 08:22 PM
It isn't that small a gene pool though is it? they have been bred in Europe for years, so why dilute the genes with what people have taken years to achieve, makes no sense to me. two different breeds, from what I understand their temperments are quite different too
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
but there are not enough in the UK.. to carry on breeding them without ending up in as much mess as the NI (regarding inbreeding). Europe won`t allow the dogs to be imported any more.. because of the cross breeding that has gone on already, so the only viable future they have in the UK is crossing them with other breeds.. otherwise they will just die out. This is just my opinion of course.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
but there are not enough in the UK.. to carry on breeding them without ending up in as much mess as the NI (regarding inbreeding). Europe won`t allow the dogs to be imported any more.. because of the cross breeding that has gone on already, so the only viable future they have in the UK is crossing them with other breeds.. otherwise they will just die out. This is just my opinion of course.

Well, if people hadn't of stupidly crossbred them, then there wouldn't be that situation

The breed won't die out, it will just mean people can't have the breed in the UK, for the dogs sake maybe that is a good thing!

Sorry, but I feel they are breeds that should be kept pure. I really admire both breeds, and think it is a shame people wan tto dilute, what has taken years to achieve.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Sorry, but I feel they are breeds that should be kept pure.
How are you defining 'pure'?
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »