Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-01-2008, 02:17 AM

3Gb free from 80Gb

Think I'm running low - PC keeps hanging, it says I'm low on memory. I struggle to run the net and any other other application at the same time time.

Done all I can to can to free up space but I'm stumped now other than than shoving an external deive on and moving some stuff over.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Time for a serious clear out, lol
Bung as much as possible on CD's. Pics and vids are the worst, lol. GL

Its easy to bung in a slave HD tho,
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-01-2008, 03:00 AM
rebooted - that seems to have made things work again - for now !
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Low on memory does not indicate hard drive space, but RAM.
People get confused. I try and explain by saying that the hard drive is like a cupboard full of your work, and the ram is a table. If you have a small table you have to keep putting stuff back in the cupboard and taking stuff out, which is slow. If your table is bigger, then you can get more stuff out and have room to work on it, but if you have your table full of stuff, the work slows down again.
This is pretty close to a computer. If you have a lot of stuff running in the backlground then it uses up the RAM, and everything slows down as the computer has to shuttle stuff back and forward to the hard disc. Some programs, when you stop them, do not release the ram they were using, so it is not useable by other programs. Rebooting stops this, and makes the computer happier.
It may be an idea to check exactly what is running in the background. Some TSR programs are a swine for memory hogging, and antivirus stuff can slow a machine right down if it is running a scan.
RAM is not exactly expensive these days, and you would be surprised at how effective a ram upgrade can be for making your machine feel better than new (Gone are the days when I paid £200 for 2 *meg* of ram...yes, I am that old )
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-01-2008, 07:46 AM
cheers............. will investigate !
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Just right click your c: in my computer and go to the properties tab that will tell you how much space on your hard drive you have like this one below ( i have edited the pic took out my drive information) but it will look like that.

Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks Leo - that's what i did to discover i had 3Gb left out of 80Gb